Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Lux

Shockies for Civic FD1

Hi guys, I just had my Civic FD1 serviced by Austral Honda Brisbane and the mechanic told me that he found a small leak at one the rear shockies. They want charge me $550 for part and fitting, I found that is too much for replacing one shock.
    I want to replace all 4 shockies as they are due for replacement anyway.
    Can anyone recommend which shockies brand I should get and a place to fit them in Brisbane?
    I don't want to spend $500 per shockies thats for sure..

I heard KYB is pretty decent brand and I found a seller on ebay US that has KYB GR-2 shockies front and rear for Honda Civic EX or DX or LX (I believe they are civic model in the US that has the same engine as Aus FD1) for $227(excluding delivery). This is good news as the price is insane, but I don't know if this shockies would fit my FD1.

The KYB GR-2 model numbers are

Left front part#339036 Right front part#339035 Rear part#343460

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1, BB6, EU1
    Go ebay motors - no brand springs $200, or there's a guy on ebay aus selling king springs for like $350. OR GET COILOVERS cheap ones are around $1000...good ones $1.5k =D

have you tried to find some bilstein or konis?

Member Array
    Car:
    370Z/DC5
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewl View Post
    Go ebay motors - no brand springs $200, or there's a guy on ebay aus selling king springs for like $350. OR GET COILOVERS cheap ones are around $1000...good ones $1.5k =D
    He wants shocks not springs mate

OP is the car a daily driver? And are you happy with the way the stock shocks perform? Also are you looking at lowering the car? Need this info

IMO you should buy a half decent set from a reputable brand as a general rule, don't put poorly made eBay shit in your car you'll regret it.

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Lux
    Thanks guys..
    I drive my FD almost everyday.
    I'm quite happy with the stock suspension setup but I have a Tein S-tech which I bought from a friend and it's now sitting collecting dust as I haven't found a replacement shocks for my FD.
    Do you reckon it's worth getting a decent coilovers eg. Tein basic/SS for daily use?
    My aim is to lower the ride for better handling, less body roll and look but not sacrificing the ride quality.
    Cusco RSB setup and Tein S-Tech for sale
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...okies-Civic-FD

Member Array
    Car:
    370Z/DC5
    My recommendation would be to get some koni yellow shocks, they will allow you to adjust your ride height and you should be able to make use of the tein s tech springs you've already got. you'll also be able to adjust the damper on them too so if you find your ride is a bit to stiff you can soften it up or vise versa. They are really good quality shocks and since you won't have to buy springs they will cost a lot less than a set of coilovers. If you did decide to get coils the tein's that you mentioned are specifically for what you need but they are lower end coilovers which IMO wouldn't be as good as a good spring/shock combo like the tien/koni's. just depends on whether you want to use the springs you have or not. Also if you don't want to sacrifice ride quality the shocks would probably be better, the coilovers may be a bit firm for you.

Do you happen to known the spring rates on the tein s tech springs?
    Last edited by Oz_Striker; 21-03-2011 at 05:20 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Lux
    Thanks oz_striker..
    Tein S-Tech spring rate are 4.2kg/mm for the front and 4.9kg/mm for rears. They are pretty soft.
    Has anyone had any experience with skunk2 sport shocks + skunk2 lowering springs combo?
    Are they a good option?
    I don't mind parting with my S-Tech if there is a better option but not too dear.
    Where can I get the koni yellow and how much are they?

Member Array
    Car:
    370Z/DC5
    I have the tein s tech springs with skunk 2 sports shocks on my ek civic, they are still nice and comfy and are good quality stuff, haven't had a problem with them. I know that skunk 2 springs give quite large drops for memory, and may be a bit saggy similar to king springs. If you think the tein will be too soft for you, you might want to look at some with higher rates on them.

Most people source their koni's from the USA. Sites like andysautosport.com should stock them along with heaps of other stuff. Otherwise there is eBay, or you could keep an eye out in the for sale thread on Ozhonda.'I think the last time i looked at the they were like 6 or 7 hundred or some where around that, not 100% sure though.

If you want another opinion on the sports shock I know "thesaint" has them on his eg sedan.

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Lux
    I ended up getting a set of FD2 shocks from EGB and pair them with the Tein S-Tech that I already have.. I also fit Cusco front strut brace, Beaks rear arm brace and Cusco front+rear sway bar.. All this parts work together really change the way my FD handles the bent..

Initial drop is pretty good and they feel really close to stock which is what I want.. Really satisfied so far...

Member Array
    Car:
    370Z/DC5
    looks good man, nice work you probly didn't really need upgraded shocks with the mild drop the tein's give anyway but i spose you could always upgrade in the future if need be

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Lux
    Thanks Oz Striker..
    I spent a good 5 hour last weekend to wash and polish my second missus..
    Fitted K&N drop in filter+Tanabe Concept G today.. Vroom...
    She drives a lot better now, corners really well and smooth motorway cruise without annoying drone from the Tanabe muffler but she can be loud when I ask her to..