Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1

EK1 Budget Build

OK, so I have been toying with the idea of keeping my EK1 for the next few years and investing some money in it to make it a really nicely modified Daily as well as a bit of track work.

I have access to a D16 VTEC out of a EK VTi, and I am considering buying it, stripping, cleaning and rebuilding the internals. I would then swap it into my EK and once I am on my blacks boost it to somewhere like 5-7 PSI (not looking for a monster, just a nice fast, agile daily/track car).

I know the old "The only reason to build a D series is coz its cheap" but I am on a small budget, and value for money I am thinking I should be able to get 120-150 kW out of this very cheap engine and some other mods (turbo, exhaust, chassis stiffening, suspension etc).

Any comments/suggestions/ideas would be appreciated.
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred." - Soichiro Honda

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Do it bro... keep it to the d-series, like the rest of us.... And its different to the rest of the sheep out there with b-series swaps... theres not to many d16 turbo, but for the money u cant really argue that there a bad engine...

Turbo conversion can be tedious if u dont know what ur doing, and this isnt just for hondas, all cars goin from N/a to force induction.. make sure u have all the required parts, and i mean all, as u dont wanna go running around to find parts than chuckin em on later downt the track

And also rebuilding them isnt to much..

120kw is very doable, 150kw is really pushing the limits of a stock d16, but again, many factors, and the main one is the tune, and run a decent ecu tune, minumum is like a Hondata S100 tune or if u prefer a piggy back go for greddys Emanage system

Im sure by now that u will needa replace a few things to run that power level, injectors, ecu, fuel pump, clutch etc etc, and rule of thumb is anything that makes it go fast u must need to be able to stop it

hope this helps
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Yeh, helps heaps, thanks. I have learnt basically everything I need to know about the build from online (mostly Ozhonda :P), but I have a few mechanic friends and most of all, I am not afraid to throw myself in the deep end and learn as I go.

I will be incredibly happy if I end up with a neat, well balanced and well handling, 130 kW EK, so I really think the D16 build is what I will go for. I plan on spending a fair while building the engine in my garage as I am in no hurry to get it into the car (I have a perfectly smooth D16Y4 running atm).
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred." - Soichiro Honda

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    That's good to hear! yes i've always wanted to go FI since im completely happy with my d16y4 .. I was going to go with it, but as alot of people said, its harder here for aftermarket support .. I've got my candle apple red civic which I am going for a unique USDM look, and have a D-turbo setup would top it off! lol. Its also very hard to find people who can actually tune for you, hence the reason im going for a b16 later this year.

IMO, go hard for what you want! you seem like you know what your doing! if your a noob like me and knows only most about exterior and interior appearance enhancements but know jack all about engine building and swapping .. then a clean engine swap would be the safe alternative. If somewhere to guide me step by step with what to do and what to buy then id go with the project. sadly, no one here has the time and patience and also, alot of people can be biased with how a b-series is always going to be better. Not true to an extent.

sigh, just wished I had as much guts as you
    "HONDA = Hold On Not Done Accelerating."

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Quote Originally Posted by jaces13 View Post
    sigh, just wished I had as much guts as you
    Trust me, I was in your exact position a few years ago when I first got my EK. But since then I have done a tonne of research and slowly formulated a plan. It has swung back and forth between a D16 Turbo and a B series swap, but either way I have plans written down step by step. Plus visual mods are always great to get your car looking great and getting your hands dirty without too much at risk.

Do your research and anything is doable

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Who knows where I can get a cheap engine stand for while I rebuild this engine? I don't know much about stands, what am I looking for in one?

Member Array
    Car:
    2010 cu2 euro
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy.ivan View Post
    OK, so I have been toying with the idea of keeping my EK1 for the next few years and investing some money in it to make it a really nicely modified Daily as well as a bit of track work.

I have access to a D16 VTEC out of a EK VTi, and I am considering buying it, stripping, cleaning and rebuilding the internals. I would then swap it into my EK and once I am on my blacks boost it to somewhere like 5-7 PSI (not looking for a monster, just a nice fast, agile daily/track car).

I know the old "The only reason to build a D series is coz its cheap" but I am on a small budget, and value for money I am thinking I should be able to get 120-150 kW out of this very cheap engine and some other mods (turbo, exhaust, chassis stiffening, suspension etc).

Any comments/suggestions/ideas would be appreciated.
    OP good daily and tracky would be b18c7...If you want to turbo a D series the best motor would of the D's would be the d16y8..soch vtec.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Who knows where I can get a cheap engine stand for while I rebuild this engine? I don't know much about stands, what am I looking for in one?
    Super cheap auto ones, there not as expensive and u can get the low ones as well... If we all had a hoist, life would be soooo much simpler

If i had the dough and time, id definite source another D16 while keeping the old one till the new one gets built, and rebuild it with forged internals and aim for around 300hp... that would be a monster i reckon

The only real down for D-series is the lack of low end torque... so choosing the right turbo is a must, a good start is the Nissan T25g off the SR20's or even the Mitsubishi Evo turbos
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Quote Originally Posted by blabla View Post
    If you want to turbo a D series the best motor would of the D's would be the d16y8..soch vtec.
    Why is the D16Y8 better than the Y1? From what I can see, the Y1 is also a SOHC V-TEC, has more power (2hp lol), more revs and a lower V-TEC switch-over... To me, it sounds like a better engine. As for the B series, I want to build a D for a few reasons. Mostly small budget, but as mugen_ctr said, a Turbo D is a little bit less common and sets me apart from the crowd, even if that means my maximum power is capped (but a bottomless budget could make a D series turbo as much of a monster as anything else :P).

I will do my research on turbos, thanks for the heads up. There is always the possibility of forged internals in this D16, depending on what cash I have at hand. I will most likely upgrade the pistons, rods, camshaft etc, but I don't think I will be sleeving it or anything. If I do, 250kW will prob be my goal. Otherwise, I will be satisfied with 130kW... That would still be an awesome sleeper civic
    Last edited by crazy.ivan; 05-03-2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Typo

Member Array
    Car:
    2010 cu2 euro
    Why is the D16Y8 better than the Y1? From what I can see, the Y1 is also a SOHC V-TEC, has more power (2hp lol), more revs and a lower V-TEC switch-over... To me, it sounds like a better engine. As for the B series, I want to build a D for a few reasons. Mostly small budget, but as mugen_ctr said, a Turbo D is a little bit less common and sets me apart from the crowd, even if that means my maximum power is capped (but a bottomless budget could make a D series turbo as much of a monster as anything else :P).

I will do my research on turbos, thanks for the heads up. There is always the possibility of forged internals in this D16, depending on what cash I have at hand. I will most likely upgrade the pistons, rods, camshaft etc, but I don't think I will be sleeving it or anything. If I do, 250kW will prob be my goal. Otherwise, I will be satisfied with 130kW... That would still be an awesome sleeper civic
    Newer motor. seen heeps a d turbo's mate run the d series he spent something like 20k on it and then piston through the oil sump.. somthin like 15pounds and this was properly built motor from the USA.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1
    I am planning on running more like 7-9 pound, not 15 :P

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    just to clear the air, every turbo and engine setup will require different boost settings, eg. car A makes 180kw with 9psi, car B same power but with 20psi..... theres no real set how much boost will equal certain amount of power btw... its just a guideline really

And plus how that engine died, theres too many variables to say how it exactly spat out its guts...since we have zero details about it... but odds are they mustev set the rev limiter to high or the driver was crap an over reved it... who knows

But a safe level to go by, is around as u said, 7-9 psi....I think ultimately its down to the tuner, and what he will determine a safe level of tune and power for ur car to run
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC