Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Dent repair and respray

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: To repair a dent on a metal surface, and respray.

Required: Body filler and hardener tube (hardener comes with body filler). Scraper/spatula, or body filler applicator. Flat metal sheet, to mix the body filler on. Sand paper, p320 - p600. Rag. Primer x2-3 cans, thinner's, 2pak paint/solvent, spray gun/compressor.

Steps:

Step 1. Be organised:
    Get everything you need BEFORE hand so you dont have to run around looking for things and wasting time.
    Scraper/spatular or applicator can be found for around $2-$4 at supercheap and other general hardware stores. I used "Exceed" body filler from autobarn.

Step 2. Firstly remove any loose/cracked paint on and around the the dent. Also Sand where the paint has peeled to even out the surface. Remove any materials that need to be protected from dust and dirt such as the spoilers backing.

the original damage, started sanding a little as you can see

Removing the backing. Easy to do

Looking better

Step 3. Preparing the surface:
    Sand down the entire panel that needs respraying and Bogging(body filler). You dont have to sand down all the paint, it just needs to be prepared well and smooth enough for the primer. Start with p320 and finish off with p600, working your way down in grades. This will avoid deep visible scratches in the surface.

should look like this after a while.

Step 4. Mixing the Bog:
    Now get a wet rag and clean the spoiler, getting rid of unwanted dust or residue. Once spoiler is nice and clean you may start mixing the Bog(body filler).
    Get something to mix the bog like a small metal rod. Take the flat metal sheet, or something to mix the Bog on (Do not use cardboard!) and mix the bog with the tube of hardener. Refer to instructions. Usually it is 50 parts body filler to 1 part hardener by weight.

When you have mixed the Bog it should look something like this. Although when i took the picture it came out a little light, so try and go by this, but a bit darker.

Most body fillers have a little colour guide to go by when mixing.

Step 5. Applying the Bog(body filler):
    Once Bog has been mixed take your applicator and apply bog firmly over the dent filling and covering surrounding surface. You need to apply the Bog over a larger area so you have room to work with when sanding. Bog should take approx. 10 minutes to dry.

Im terrible with analogies but here goes. When applying the bog it like spreading peanut butter on a sandwich, you want that even application filling the dent. Doesnt have to be perfect, as long its thick and applied over a good amount of surface.

Step 6. Sanding:
    Once bog has dried you can start sanding. Once again start with p320 work your way down to p600. This part MUST be perfect. the slightest imperfection can be seen. In between sanding you need to run your hand along the panel to feel for an un-even surface. If you feel youve sanded too much and its still un-even another application may be needed. Sand until it feels PERFECT

Step 7. Primer:
    Once you are satisfied with your Bog job clean the panel again. Get your primer and spray light even coats. You will usually need around 4-6 coats.
    Go with what you think is nessecary

Step 7. Sanding...again:
    After Primer you must sand again, leave absolutely no rough spots! must be smoother than a baby's butt! Finish off once again with p600 working your way down in grades.

Should look like this after sanding

Step 8. Respray, preparation:
    If you are using a spray gun you need to clean it out with thinners, put a small amount of thinners in the spray gun and spray into a rag to clean/flush out old paint and residue. Now to mix the paint, I used 2k Spartan automotive black paint. place 1/4 of 2pak paint into your spray gun (you may need to use less if you are only doing a small panel). To one volume of paint, mix in 1 volume of solvent and 1 volume of thinners, mix thoroughly.
    Once your paint is ready, re-attach your spray gun and make sure the small hole on top of the spray gun's lid is facing towards you. If you fail to do this paint will pour out whilst you are spraying.

Step 9. Respray, completion:
    Now set your compressor to 2.5psi. Make sure your spoiler is clean and ready for respray. I highly recommend you spray indoors and not outdoors as you can get sunspots and matter on your fresh paint. When your ready start spraying, just like you would with a can, light even coats. 3 coats should do it. leave to dry for atleast 3 days before use, this will prevent any further damage to your panel.

Progress pics:
    I didnt take many but heres a couple

cleaning the spray gun

mixing the paint

leaving to dry. It was a very dry day with no breeze what-so-ever so i put it in the sun for little while

Other comments: Hope you enjoyed it, dont forget to give everything a thorough clean once your done!
    As soon the rain subsides i will add pics of the spoiler on my car

Any questions feel free to ask.
    Last edited by jeremydawg; 01-04-2011 at 05:52 PM.
    DEEFUFF 4LYF

Member Array
    Car:
    Public Transport / Foot
    awsome ! ! ! !

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    a good way to check if your filler is totally smooth is to get a $3 can of black spray paint and lightly spray over the filled area (before or after the primer as been applied, doesnt matter), and then go over it with some 600-800 grit paper untill you cannot see anymore black spraypaint.
    Last edited by grifty; 20-03-2011 at 10:44 PM.
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    wooooooow,

can't wait to do it on my rear lip.

thanks +1 rep!
    無限 The Form is in the Function 無限
    teamGROUNDzero

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    Excellent work Jeremy!
    part time potato

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Quote Originally Posted by grifty View Post
    a good way to check if your filler is totally smooth is to get a $3 can of black spray paint and lightly spray over the filled area (before or after the primer as been applied, doesnt matter), and then go over it with some 600-800 grit paper untill you cannot see anymore black spraypaint.
    Correct sir, guide coat!
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Quote Originally Posted by DC2-PWR View Post
    wooooooow,

can't wait to do it on my rear lip.

thanks +1 rep!
    When you do it on plastic, remember that you need a different type of filler, they have plastic fillers aswell.

^^good stuff Tiksie, i learnt the hard way spraying plastic with normal primer a while back lol. So there are primers for plastics too Dc2-pwr, pretty much similar process different products.

Thanks guys.

Good stuff grifty, never thought of trying that!
    Last edited by jeremydawg; 21-03-2011 at 09:05 AM.
    DEEFUFF 4LYF

A fine result jez. Good work ! +1
    - Its not what you drive. Its what drives you.

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    You don't need a spray gun to spray such a small part, just do it with a rattle can and get same results

yeah i thought about that but i want it perfect. im just really picky
    DEEFUFF 4LYF

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    You can get it perfect with a rattle can aswell:

Here is a front lip I did for a member on JDMST aswell:

Before:

Sanded back with 380 wet/dry sandpaper:

Primered with a few coats: