Member Array
    Car:
    2005 Accord V6

2005 Accord V6 transmission & engine mount problems?

I just had my transmission and two engine mounts changed at 110,000ks.
    Similar to previous generation transmission problem with reving out during 1st to 2nd change and 'clunking' into gear. Started out of no where and got worse rapidly over 20-30ks of suburban driving.
    Engine mounts (front and right) I was sus of a problem for a few months as I could feel a very faint low frequency vibration or 'wobble' from the front end at intermediate speed and acceleration (eg 50-75% accelerator at 60-70kmh).
    Out of warranty but pushed through the dealer workshop for Honda Australia to 'come to the party'.
    Many thanks to Robert Lane Honda Service centre Brighton (Melb), particularly Clive, always helpful, managed to arrange 75% off parts from Honda Australia. I believe only because of service history there (lease vehicle I bought out at the end). Would have cost a fortune for a car only 6 years old. Engine mounts about $300 each and reconditioned trany $5000 plus labor!
    Another guy at work got the luxury model at the same time as me by chance. Both were waiting for the same ship with manufacture feb/Mar 2005. His transmission also went at 110k mark. Out of warranty by 10,000k but at under three years old when it happened. Was told about $9,000 and out of warranty. A bit of pushing, (statute warranty) and he got the change over for free at the time.
    Not happy, been great car til now.
    Last edited by Hitchy; 25-03-2011 at 12:59 AM. Reason: can't type or spell :)

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Auto Tranny is Honda's weakest link at the moment, and from my experience with the euro, Honda quality is a myth.

PS:$300 each for engine mount? pfft, BS, it's less than $200 USD each from the USA brand new, and OEM part too.
    And they try to charge a tranny for $5000. It's $3000 max from wreckers, and it doesn't cost $2000 for some WD40...
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

So, Hitchy. How much did you pay at the end for the reconditioned tranny? Was the 75% only applied for the part, but not the labour?

I have the similar problem at the moment with my 2005 Honda Accord V6 where the transmission does not engagement when I put it to 'Drive'. The car does not move at all. And I have done some digging and it seems like this is a very common issue with the auto transmission amongst the Accords. The only problem is that I just bought this car second hand of one of my colleague 1.5 years ago. Do you think Honda Australia would still be able to help me look into this?

Member Array
    Car:
    2005 Accord V6
    Sorry cchan82, been away from the forum a while.

Yep, they only took 75% off the parts as Honda Aust was paying that. I imagine through the dealer it never 'cost' them that much though.
    The dealer did do a good price on the labour to 'help'. Still not a good bill on low Km car.
    Could look it up but the best I remember from the bill I got for my out of pocket was about $1300 for the reco trany and $100 for each engine mount.
    Bill was about $2000.
    As fredoops said. They know how to charge at the dealers service centre.
    If it were not for the guys there trying for me through Honda Aust and my service history I would have been on my own.
    But probably would not have cost much more as I'd just go through a good mechanic and/or trany place.
    I think anyone with a second hand one would have problems with statute warranty claim.
    Hope it worked out for you.

P.S. Worth a try to get Honda Aust to 'help' out as it is a known problem.
    Last edited by Hitchy; 02-01-2012 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Worth a try?

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    I have a 6th gen 98 Accord and its tranny died at around the 170kk mark. I had mine replaced for $5000 as well Currently, my engine mounts are effed too, might look at some aftermarket ones from Taiwan. Any views?

Member Array
    Car:
    2005 Accord V6
    The 'wobble' is back!!!
    About 75% throttle it's at the worst, particularly 60-80km/hr

Mechanic is saying drive shaft this time.
    At over $200 a piece for parts then labour, and a guess as to which side, I'm not sure if it's going to fix it?

Any one else with similar problem in the past.

Account Disabled Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitchy View Post
    The 'wobble' is back!!!
    About 75% throttle it's at the worst, particularly 60-80km/hr

Mechanic is saying drive shaft this time.
    At over $200 a piece for parts then labour, and a guess as to which side, I'm not sure if it's going to fix it?

Any one else with similar problem in the past.
    is it the way you drive?

Driver habit is a big factor in vehicle longevity.

Member Array
    Car:
    2005 Accord V6
    Quote Originally Posted by ericl33 View Post
    is it the way you drive?

Driver habit is a big factor in vehicle longevity.
    Probably.

I don't hoon or thrash it, but I bought a V6 for a reason.

Still expect more from Honda.

Member Array
    Car:
    2005 Accord V6
    Had to bite the bullet on the 130k service as the vibration wqs getting worse. Mechanics said try right drive shaft as they had seen a couple. I said left as it cops the abuse closer to the gutter etc but make an educated decision when it's on the hoist and they can see. They went right and sure enough it was the left drve shaft. Problem fixed but at $300 odd, nearly $400 each side, not happy.
    Last edited by Hitchy; 24-10-2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: more info