Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTIR

Gearbox question

I was wondering if anyone knows if the components inside the gearbox for an EK4 / EM1 is the same as EK9 / DC2R ? Not so much the gear ratio / LSD but rather the material that the parts are made of ? Would the components / gear inside the ITR gearbox be stronger than those of the EK4 / EM1 ?

Gearbox components/gears are pretty much all the same, none stronger than the other. I'm pretty sure..
    - Its not what you drive. Its what drives you.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    the machining process may have a finer tolerance - but the materials used would all be the same
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by dciisir View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knows if the components inside the gearbox for an EK4 / EM1 is the same as EK9 / DC2R ? Not so much the gear ratio / LSD but rather the material that the parts are made of ? Would the components / gear inside the ITR gearbox be stronger than those of the EK4 / EM1 ?

If you're interested in stronger GBox internals I would do research into aftermarket options like 'Synchrotech'.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 GE8
    Quote Originally Posted by davidvtec View Post
    Gearbox components/gears are pretty much all the same, none stronger than the other. I'm pretty sure..
    Wrong.

Gen 1 EF/DA B16A Cable Type Gearbox has the weakest internals; most prone to crunching.

Gen 2 EG/EK/EM B16A Hydro Type Gearbox are improved versions of above.

B16B CTR, B18C VTiR & ITR have the strongest internals (Differential & Synchronizers)
    I SiR = Sport injection Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon SiRG View Post
    Wrong.

Gen 1 EF/DA B16A Cable Type Gearbox has the weakest internals; most prone to crunching.

B16B CTR, B18C VTiR & ITR have the strongest internals (Differential & Synchronizers)
    Thanks for clearin that up +1
    - Its not what you drive. Its what drives you.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Wrong.

Just curious where did you get this information?

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Wrong.

So i did the correct move to upgrading to the b18c gearbox on my b16a2? It feel likes the gears are longer, but it dosnt throw me back wen vtec engages like it used too on the b16a2 gearbox.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by amant02 View Post
    So i did the correct move to upgrading to the b18c gearbox on my b16a2? It feel likes the gears are longer, but it dosnt throw me back wen vtec engages like it used too on the b16a2 gearbox.
    B18c has longer gear ratio, unlike b16 shorter

Should have kept the b16a2 gearbox, theres a reason why its short, it keeps the car in power band around the track, the only thing the b18c gearbox has done is reduce ur fuel an made ur car slower
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTIR
    Yeah it looks like the CTR / ITR gearboxes have stronger internals. I found a very informative article about the Honda gearboxes.. Here's the link

http://hondaswap.com/swap-articles/b...n-guide-29099/

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by amant02 View Post
    erm ... no - you would have gone backwards - ur car will now be slower but u will have better fuel economy

most guys with B18c (VTIR) will put the B16a2 box on as an upgrade
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    b18cr/c7 1st - 4th - 5th gears have shorter gear ratios than the B16A gearbox
    overall cr/c7 have shorter gear ratios

reason why b16a have shorter ratios is because b16a don't have good torque. and those short gear ratios make it keep up. well sort of lol.

every website they all have different numbers for gearbox ratios so dont quote me on this. but itr gearbox have shorter ratios
    無限 The Form is in the Function 無限
    teamGROUNDzero