Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTIR

Civic Fuel Gauge / Suspension / Alarm question

Hi All,

I just bought an EM1. The fuel gauge seems to go up and down when I'm driving. I'm not talking a little bit. The movement of the needle can be from full down to 3/4 of tank. Then there is the regular movement in between this range. I know I'm driving up and down hill but I have never seen a needle move so much before ? Anyone know what is going on ?

Also I think I'm in need of new shockers. I get some weird clunking sound from the rear when I go over uneven roads. This car is a daily driver and I want it to be as comfortable as possible. I would really appreciate if I could get opinion of what suspension is good ? I want the car to sit a little lower without affecting the comfort too much. I've had greddy and tein coilovers before and they are stiff as hell.

- Coilvers
    - Shocks + Springs
    - Standard shocks + lowered springs ?

I also need to install a new alarm system. Locked the car with the remote tonight and then the remote wouldn't turn on so I used the key to open the doors. Could not start the car and the previous owner did not pick up the phone so in the end, I had to hot wire the damm car. I just wanted to get some recommendations on which remote is good and reliable ? Cost and also the price of installation ?

Also 2 of the demister lines in the rear window don't work. Anyway to fix this ?

Final issue - My speedometer seems a little off. I use my GPS to gauge the speed. I know the GPS is quite accurate as I have put them in 2 other cars. It is generally about 2 kms off from the GPS. However with the civic, it is around 5-6 kms different.
    Last edited by dciisir; 23-04-2011 at 02:17 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    b18c2+T Ej8
    Look Under the fuel tank. Check if it dented inside.
    What wheel size do you have ?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTIR
    its the standard em1 rims.. with umm.. 205/50/15 tyres. No dents on the fuel tank.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Quote Originally Posted by dciisir View Post
    Hi All,

I just bought an EM1. The fuel gauge seems to go up and down when I'm driving. I'm not talking a little bit. The movement of the needle can be from full down to 3/4 of tank. Then there is the regular movement in between this range. I know I'm driving up and down hill but I have never seen a needle move so much before ? Anyone know what is going on ?
    It could be either the sender inside the tank, or the gauge itself. Only way to find out is to replace them. Get them from a wrecker, sombody wrecking a car, or from Honda.

Also I think I'm in need of new shockers. I get some weird clunking sound from the rear when I go over uneven roads. This car is a daily driver and I want it to be as comfortable as possible. I would really appreciate if I could get opinion of what suspension is good ? I want the car to sit a little lower without affecting the comfort too much. I've had greddy and tein coilovers before and they are stiff as hell.

- Coilvers
    - Shocks + Springs
    - Standard shocks + lowered springs ?
    The clunking is most likely worn bushes. Jack the car up and have a look at all the bushes under there, the trailing arm, lower and upper control arms. However its probably about time to replace them all anyway. If you dont wanna go really low, just get some decent short stroke shocks, like monroe or kyb, and some low springs, like kings.

I also need to install a new alarm system. Locked the car with the remote tonight and then the remote wouldn't turn on so I used the key to open the doors. Could not start the car and the previous owner did not pick up the phone so in the end, I had to hot wire the damm car. I just wanted to get some recommendations on which remote is good and reliable ? Cost and also the price of installation ?
    Well, its not just the remote you need to replace, its the entire alarm system. But have you replaced the battery in the remote? That might be the issue.

Also 2 of the demister lines in the rear window don't work. Anyway to fix this ?
    well it depends on if the element is damaged, or if its somewhere else. But generally no. Does it make that much of a different anyway?

Final issue - My speedometer seems a little off. I use my GPS to gauge the speed. I know the GPS is quite accurate as I have put them in 2 other cars. It is generally about 2 kms off from the GPS. However with the civic, it is around 5-6 kms different.
    If youre running stock wheels then id say its the gauge once again.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTIR
    Thanks for the reply.. I'll need to look into it. By the way, standard tyres are suppose to be 195/55/15. I am using 205/50/15. I guess that can put it off like 2 kms, but 5-6 km. Need to investigate.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    The fuel gauge seems to go up and down when I'm driving. I'm not talking a little bit. The movement of the needle can be from full down to 3/4 of tank.
    It could be an electrical fault - you will need to check the wiring behind the cluster. To do this you will need to remove the cluster from the dash and check the connections. The sender in the tank sends an electrical impulse to the gauge. Another possibility is that the sender unit is displaying erratic movement because it may have built up rust and it is momentarily catching then as you change inclination or go 'round a corner it is being dislodged and then working. Lift up the back seat and pull the whole unit and check it.

Also I think I'm in need of new shockers. I get some weird clunking sound from the rear when I go over uneven roads. This car is a daily driver and I want it to be as comfortable as possible.
    You have got some good advice on this. If you are on a tight budget - standard shocks with some King Springs are OK. If you have some $$$ then a set of coilovers and springs would allow you to adjust the settings to your driving requirements.

Look for a break in the heating grid (orange lines) or a broken or loose attachment point. You can buy Permatex element fixing adhesive (about $35). I just bought some from SCA.

Manufacturers allow up to 10% variation. My Toyota has a GPS, a GReddy Profec unit and the speedo and they are all showing slightly different numbers. I drive on the GPS - the speedo shows the highest numbers, then the GPS in the middle of the Profec system. At least if you drive on the speedo you know you will be under the legal limit for the area. Also I notice the faster you go, the greater the discrepancy (up to 5-6KPH).

Peter
    Still here. Still kickin'