Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array

Stud snapped - please help

hey guys,

one of my studs snapped on my em1. would i have to change the whole hub? and also, hubs from which civics would fit my car? and how much do they usually go for?

cheers

duckey

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    My mate got his replaced at a tyre shop for $40
    無限 The Form is in the Function 無限
    teamGROUNDzero

Member Array
    Car:
    Lil' 4 cylinder
    No need to change the hub. Stud itself can be replace.. go wreckers and pay $5. Repco and such might sell them too. Not hard to replace if your mechanical minded. GL

looks like it's time to upgrade to a 5 stud :P

Member Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    $50ish dollars depending on where you go, studs a couple of dollars from any mech store then if you want to try DIY it's not too hard

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    get a genuine stud from Honda, that way i twill be the same as the others and you wont have any balance issues with an odd sized stud.

they are not hard to replace on a civic

Member Array
    Car:
    D15B7 YOOOOOO!
    pretty hard to diy if you never done it before

it involes removing wheel drive shaft, suspension, and hub assembly you will have to seperate the hubs, and in doing this could damage the bearings on the way out, best advice is to seperate it clean bearings and repack them with high temp grease, like grey or something

i can do this if you remove the hub assembly for 50 bucks,,, stud is around 5 bucks
    Check out my build thread EGB16T. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...build../page14
    Check out my for sale thread constantly updated with b series/ eg parts!

Wakefield Honda Nationals First Timer : na-118 EG b16 1:16.4900

Member Array
    Car:
    CP2 / EG5
    Might as well replace all the studs on that hub due to the age of the car for safe measure.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai View Post
    Might as well replace all the studs on that hub due to the age of the car for safe measure.
    Exackery.

Had to replace a stud in my old previous corolla so did the whole hub. Studs we're only $3.50 each from peter warren spares.

Member Array
    Car:
    Bangbus
    Remove caliper.
    Remove brake rotor (with impact driver).
    Brace the back of the hub and use a hammer to knock out stud (remove from the back of the hub).
    Put in new stud, place some spacers on the new stud, tighten a nut on the end of the new stud to seat it on the hub.
    Reinstall brake rotor.
    Reinstall caliper.

Any competent mechanic will be able to replace a wheel stud for you in 20-30 minutes max, shouldn't have to pay more than $50 max for stud + labour.

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    Quote Originally Posted by geeang View Post
    Remove caliper.
    Remove brake rotor (with impact driver).
    Brace the back of the hub and use a hammer to knock out stud (remove from the back of the hub).
    Put in new stud, place some spacers on the new stud, tighten a nut on the end of the new stud to seat it on the hub.
    Reinstall brake rotor.
    Reinstall caliper.

Any competent mechanic will be able to replace a wheel stud for you in 20-30 minutes max, shouldn't have to pay more than $50 max for stud + labour.
    this is how i woulda thought it was done.

why do people remove the whole hub assembly?

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

Member Array
    Car:
    Bangbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    this is how i woulda thought it was done.

why do people remove the whole hub assembly?
    Some people can get a little paranoid about damaging the bearing when knocking out the stud, so they prefer to move the whole hub assembly and have the studs pressed out/in.

Risk of damage shouldn't be very high if the hub is braced from behind when knocking out the stud.