Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Premium Octane

Just bought '97 Prelude little problem help...

hey guys,

i just bought a 1997 Prelude Vti manual. After driving it around for about a week now, i feel that weneva i press the gas pedal to accelerate it dosnt respond very well. This occurs usually when im trying to accelerate from stationary position.

For e.g i press to accelerate, it moves slowly for about 1 or 2 seconds then picks up and accelerates as normal.

however the previous owner did install a vtec controller and i dont know if that would possibly have an affect on that?

thanks in advance guys
    Last edited by will02; 08-03-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 lude
    your timing might need to be adjusted. Or just needs a service. But that is normal for the prelude

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude ATTS
    like vinniez said probly needs adjusting, cuz my prelude is fine

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Premium Octane
    alrite ill hav a look at the timing tomorrow and see how i go from there. Will let you know if it was the problem =)

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    is your engine bogging or something? i.e. second gear from rolling?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    EB2
    you may as well change fluids while you're at it, but definitely get timing looked at

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Premium Octane
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    is your engine bogging or something? i.e. second gear from rolling?
    nah, its just that it dosnt pick up very quickly wen i press the gas pedal from stationary. so yeh usually happens in first gear... however it also happens in 2nd gear every now n then...

and yeah ill probably change some fluids as well if i got the whole day off.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    BB6 ATTS
    I had/have the same issue. Hesistation/"bogging" seems to be common in H22's, with varying sources. I had part throttle hesitation issues and full throttle seemed a bit weak. What I changed...

- All Fluids (Excl. Brake/Steering, AMSOIL Synthetics)
    - Spark Plugs (Denso Iridium Power)
    - Ignition Leads (NGK)
    - Distributor Cap, Rotor and ICM (Genuine OEM)
    - Ignition Coil (TEC)
    - Throttle Position Sensor (Entire Throttle Body)
    - MAP Sensor
    - Oxygen Sensor (Brand new Denso)
    - EGR Block Off Plate
    - Valve Lash Adjustment
    - Compression, Fuel Pressure and Ignition Timing inspected

What seemed to make the most difference was the Oxy Sensor (they are "meant" to be replaced every "100,000kms" -ish) and EGR Delete.

I still have a flat spot in first gear (part throttle) acceleration on a cold start and still happens when at O.T occasionally (maybe once a tank). However, I just found out the owner before the person I purchased it off had a Greddy E-manage hooked up and tuned and then the previous owner dropped in the Type-S H22A, although the P5R ECU was installed.... the Greddy would not be doing it any favours...

So I'm getting it tuned this friday

Long story short... I would be looking at ANYTHING after market such as the Air/Fuel Controller you mentioned? Also in some instances cold air intakes have been known to cause such issues... Although it's pretty rare.

P.S I have been known to be a little maticulous/anal when it comes to maintenance, So I wouldn't necessary suggest to go changing everything that I did, I did it because I would of probably done it in routine maintenance anyway.
    AMSOIL 10w30/Ea013 @ 5k OCI's, AMSOIL MTF Synchromesh, RE002's @ F 40/R 38 PSI; 9.23L/100kms. Suburban(Minimal Freeway).

Self Tuned (Road). Dyno soon.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 lude
    hektic....

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Premium Octane
    tried to adjust the timing with a timing gun. however i couldnt find the markings anywhere on the belt or nay markings along the side... please help...

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    The markings are going to be on the timing cover and the crankshaft pulley.

Download the service manual for your car and it should tell you how to adjust the timing.

Heres the link. http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/

you have to register first.

Also have you checked your spark plugs? if they are fouled with carbon there is going to be some hesitation when you press the accelerator.
    OEM parts whore

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Premium Octane
    Quote Originally Posted by grifty View Post
    The markings are going to be on the timing cover and the crankshaft pulley.

Download the service manual for your car and it should tell you how to adjust the timing.

Heres the link. http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/

you have to register first.

Also have you checked your spark plugs? if they are fouled with carbon there is going to be some hesitation when you press the accelerator.
    Thanks man, yeh i downloaded the manuals and checked it out. Will have a look at checking the timing sometime tomorrow. as with the spark plugs should i change them when i get my car serviced and change of engine oil and stuff or is it ok for me to change the spark plugs now before the service..?