S2000 AP1 Center Console Modernised/Polished-look

Disclaimer: The articles found in this forum are provided only as a guide/reference. Neither Ozhonda nor the author take responsibility for the outcomes related with following these guides. You do so at your own risk!

Hey guys, this is for the cheap people like me who can't afford the AP2 Center Console

Aim: To give the AP1 Center Console a "facelift" by modernising and giving a polished/shining look

Required:
    - Nail Polish remover containing Acetone (important as Acetone is known to remove paint)
    - Cotton balls
    - Cotton buds
    - Tap

Steps:
    1. Lay your console out on a hard and flat surface with a bit of room to maneuver.

2. Grab a cotton ball and add some of the acetone to it

3. Next to is scrub the console around the SHIFTBOOT with the cotton ball (refer to image below). You will need to use a few cotton balls to do so. Scrub all over the grey film on the major large areas and you should see the silver below start to show.

4. Now, because the cotton ball is very soft and can't get all the spots, use the cotton buds, as these have plastic behind it and are small which allows to remove small areas which are difficult to remove such as on the edges.

5. After doing all of this and removing all of the grey film, use the cotton balls again but this time use water and wipe clean the whole silver area. Then wipe dry with either cotton balls, tissues etc.

6. This should leave the console shining and looking very modern and new. Something like the images below is the result. (pardon the images, bad angle some parts are fully shiny)

End.

Other comments:

Be sure to wipe all of the end acetone off the whole console when you are finish. I also used a glove as a precaution AND try to prevent inhaling of the acetone too much

Member Array
    Car:
    MY01' S2000
    This is actually a good little mod, I did this to my car a while back because the previous owner must if had a bracelet or watch and it had severe scratches through the paint, by doing this it gave my centre console a fresh look and made it look overall in better condition. I recently took my car to Honda for service and they broke my centre console cup holder lid and r replacing the whole console. Cost to honda $489 but I'm sure internally it will be cheaper but not sure if I am going to remove the standard silver paint on it

Well done on the DIY Keep it up

Thanks man,
    And wow.. How do you even break the cup holder lol.
    But yeah, I did because the original layer on top was starting to come already.

Member Array
    Car:
    NSX52K
    Ohh seems like a nice facelift, time to try it out

Member Array
    Car:
    f20c
    Nice so simple and easy to do might try it out soon. So I'm guessing you got your car back? Anything missing?

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Nice so simple and easy to do might try it out soon. So I'm guessing you got your car back? Anything missing?
    This DIY was from ages ago!

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Is it possible to pop out the trim so you can take the paint off without it being attached?

Member Array
    Car:
    MY01' S2000
    It's not really necessary to do that, you will just create more work for yourself and probably damage it trying to pry it away.

But to answer your question....I don't know

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda
    I like the idea of the clear over chrome to matte out the look.

hc Floor Scales
    Last edited by stoudtLion; 21-10-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylaan View Post
    Is it possible to pop out the trim so you can take the paint off without it being attached?
    Its a real b!tch of a job to do. I tried doing it with mine and I almost went ape shit and snapped it in half! I ended up doing exactly like this DIY when i first got my S2000 (right down to the exact same nail polish remover lol) and works a treat.
    Got a spare AP1 Centre console might take it to a trimmer see if they can remove it lol!