Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 EK Civic CXi

Aftermarket Header To Stock Cat

Hey fella's, haven't found a concrete answer on this yet so I figured I'd ask.

I've currently got a 97 EK1, D16Y4 with a short ram. I'm looking to do the exhaust next and with my current monetary situation I can only afford bits at a time. So I was looking into throwing an Ebay 4-2-1 header on just for the hell of it. My first car being modified, don't care much for price or quality just doing it to get the know how for later endeavors.

The problem is, the particular set I'm looking at says direct bolt onto stock system, however I'm slightly worried about it connecting to the stock cat. Would I have to purchase another cat? Or would the headers bolt on without the need for that?

Cheers in advance.

Have you got a link to the header you wish to buy? TIm assuming theyre street headers. Race headers are usually cat less and have additional piping in the cats place.
    Be wary of aftermarket parts, are they reputable like Mugen or toda? cause regardless of what maunfacturers say most of them are not a straight fit believe me, this is for all parts. Who ever does your header installation should be able to whip something up to connect the headers and cat if it is not a straight fit. But if I was you, I'd rather save for the whole thing then put it in so out dont lose out on time and money on labour.

Cause even if you have a nice high flowing header, the stock cat and cat back are restrictive.
    Straight lines love fast cars. Hard corners love fast drivers.

Member Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Wait longer save longer do it all at once be happy all at once and save alot on labour unless you can DIY

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I recommend doing it all at once.

N*Power 4-2-1 header from ebay. $120 and good quality according to about 5-10 reviews here on OzHonda. Get a 2" mild steel mandrel bent backpipe with a resonator. Muffler of your choice. High-flow cat (ditch the stockie). Should be able to get the whole thing and installation for $600-800 max.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    To answer the qs, yes it should, my n power headers are currently bolted to my stock cat, an also, wen I was epa, it was still fine, get n power, they r 100% fitment, an since they have the donut gasket flange, it will b fine, hope this helps ya, as for diy, its easy, I done it on the floor, jus unbolt the heat shield, undo o2 sensor, than manifold bolts, than the bracket bolts, lastly the cat bolts, but make sure u heat up the manifold before tryna do the o2, as its tight as mofo
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 EK Civic CXi
    Cheers for the replies guys. Eventually the whole exhaust system will be done, but i'm looking to upgrade in stages. I figured headers first to keep the popo away for awhile at least, then cat and catback which i got quoted around $350 from my local store. I'm not buying anything Toda or Mugen for a d series, you're paying for a brand when essentially all that is better is the steel/ceramic/etc piping and name slapped on it. Technically speaking all pipes flow the same and you're only looking at max a 10hp increase with a brand name part anyway.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-Civ...#ht_2458wt_905

That's what i'm currently looking at. I'll be installing them myself, cause honestly, it's piss easy if you've done a set before. Adult size mechano pretty much.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Good luck fitting it yourself because ebay headers are either shorter or longer, and i believe it would need modifications to fit.
    無限 The Form is in the Function 無限
    teamGROUNDzero

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Something as simple as replacing headers on B/D series is easy, but K20 u will struggle, simple cause of the location of where it sits, near the fire wall.... and its perfectly fine to do it in stages, Headers u will benefit the most, as thats where the power band is made, its all in the flow of the gases, oem is restrictive, with headers, u will notice a improved mid to top end power

A cat back will make the next modest gains, follow by a high flow cat...

I dont believe all pipes are the same, different materials make different sounds, density, weight etc etc, stainless steel will make the most raspy noisy but is the lightest, mild steel for strength, and than the most expensive, titanium, lightest and strongest off all the exhaust piping to date

and also how it was bent, crush bent, cheap, but does the job, mandrel bent, best flow, but more expensive to make, as well as the welding, how it was welded etc etc

alot to think about if ur tryna make the best for the car lol
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 EK Civic CXi
    Yeah, understandably. So much room in my engine bay it's not funny. Might just grab em and see how they go, only $160 shipped, and if they don't fit just sell them on i suppose. Description says they're mandrel bent, which is a bonus. Given how many d-series engines were made i'd assume most of the piping sizes and lengths for headers to cats etc would be the same across the range.

Thanks for the answers guys.

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 DC2R
    I installed 4-2-1 headers for 3 days before i had my full exhaust done to save $150 on installation. There mad on stock exhaust, it was so zippy when you just push the pedal a bit it was instant power. Then went to 2" exhaust + high flow cat and i lost some down low doesnt feel as zippy as the 3 days i had the headers on. But up top its way better. Just depends where u want the power i guess.
    3 guys walk into a bar. The first guy told the D to get a B series.The second guy told the B to get a K series. The last guy told the K to fk off just get a V8 mate.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by DC2-PWR View Post
    Good luck fitting it yourself because ebay headers are either shorter or longer, and i believe it would need modifications to fit.
    Unless u have personally brought N Power headers, than id say these beg to differ....... 100 percent fitment, with gaskets an all, no leaks, an the results = Great bang for buck, why spend 400 for Xforce when these do just as good for half the price
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 EK Civic CXi
    Do you think you'd be able to grab a link for the N*Power ones? I can't seem to find them.