Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

D16y1 or D16y8 which is better? are they the same?

Hey guys just wondering which D series engine is better or are the complete identical?
    Just want to know because ebay sells a Blox Cam for civics but its made for a D16y8
    will it fit onto a D16y1?

Also is it worth doing any mods to it? I.E cams..or turbo charging it etc

or is money better spent doing a DOHC V-tec?

Member Array
    Car:
    b18c2+T Ej8

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Y8, has bigger manifold, is OBD2, newer, dip stick in better location, theres more but i cant remember lol

As far as which one is better, id say get the Y8, as its newer, despite it being a OBD2, in which u will need a OBD1 if ur goin Hondata ecu

Turbo the sucker, my mates EG5, with Y1 runs close to 100kw with stock exhaust, stock injectors, small as cooler and 5psi, so if he had upgraded all of those, he be making closer to 120kw, so much more than a B18c and B16A2

Keep na to B-series, bang for buck, B-series are more responsive to mods than any d-series.

hope this helps ya
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    IMO you should avoid N/A mods, but if you're passionate about it then go ahead. Otherwise turbo is your friend!

I did CAI and a header on my Y1. Did it cheap and enjoyed every moment of the DIY

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Im planning on doing a mini me with a y1 head into a y4 block. Just going to port polish, new intake system, shave head and new bolts etc.

atm ive got 4-2-1 genie headers with 2.5 inch exhaust buddyclub so loud spec 3 exhaust .. changing the tip to a twin loop eventually.

Mate if your going for just abit of oomph, then do something similar to me. Since my car is a dd and i think too many people are doing B SERIES so B DIFFERENT lol

but of course B series is bang for your buck, if you wanna be different and all just go dturbo, JRSC if you can find one.

btw, just one question .. hows the crossover sound of a y1? or the kick at least in general?
    "HONDA = Hold On Not Done Accelerating."

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Y1 and Y8, with intake is noticable, but not to the extent like a B16 where its like bbrrrrrrrrrrBBBBRRRRRRPPPPPPP
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    lol thanks mugen_ctr!

well im happy with my d engine, il do abit of stuff to it like the mods up above but alot of people are going for speed and stuff but you can only spend so much and gain so much.

its all about what you want, theres never a right or wrong with how you want to modify your car

I've had so many people that its stupid what im doing, your wasting money .. but money comes and goes and its all about what you prefer id rather be different!

mugen_ctr, with the mods im putting on, will i get over 100kw .. not atw, just kw im not doing it for big gains, anything is better than 88kw haha

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    they both have better gearbox than the other D series as well

jaces pretty much quoted my thoughts on the whole thing

personally i would go for y1 - the intake manifold and head design is better and it is an easier platform to work with

i would jump onto d-series.org and start reading man =)

get a bisimoto stage2 cam, skunk2 adjustable cam gear, cold air intake, headers + exhaust
    with supporting clutch, flywheel, chassis + suspension mods u will have a nice little screamer there
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    lol yeah alot of b series guys will try and convince you to convert but hey, personal preferences.

TheSaint is a great example of a guy who worked with what he had, and no doubt is completely satisfied with his build!

you know why? because he learnt and now he knows what to do in the future if he were to get another car.

d-series.org is good, just careful for the sick dudes that will hammer you if you dont use the search bar

to be honest, stock b16 turned me off, it felt exactly like my dseries with just an exhaust and headers. but meh, people spend so much for very little gains.

if you wanna ask questions, ask TheSaint about parts and abit of guidance

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    jaces is psychic - he keeps taking the words straight out of my mouth =p

oh yeah and if you get a cam - make sure you get a cam gear as well so you can dial it in
    i love bisimoto parts - but the cam gear i got from them isnt very good (scrubs on everything and scratches really easy - hard to dial in)
    aim for a skunk2 tuner series adjustable cam gear

Wow thanks guys never been on a forum where people actually help each other lol
    Ive got basic mods is header back exhaust with figh flow cat and a cai car is slow
    Considering I drove turbos previously but it's fun to drive tho
    But maybe I'll stick with what I got now...I do wana get to a b16a or a b18c2 eventually

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    if your a honda new-comer i would get the B18c2 - much better platform for torque and power

i class the b16 as an advanced honda owners engine - because it takes alot of time and money to sap power out of the little sucker
    that said its one of the most powerful engines of its size and class in the world =)

if you want some inspiration have a look at what i did with a D15b7 in my build thread

i already built a B18c and i got bored - so i tuned up the civic =p