Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2

Front Strut Bar Installation GD3 (xforce style strut bars)

i saw some people asking about this so i thought i would try get some browny points here on OzHondaand make this Tutorial.

You will need:
    A Rattle Gun
    4 Bolts (the right size and high tensile)
    4 Nuts (lock nuts and high tensile recommended)
    4 washers to fit (optional)

1)
    Remove the black stickers that cover the holes on the side of the engine bay.
    - they are in front and of to the side of the strut tops in the engine bay, 2 either side.
    Left Side Of Car

Right Side Of Car

Notice there are wires on the Right hand side u may need to cut the cable tier that holds them down so u can move them around
    And also notice that on of the holes on the right is square.

2)
    Now u may of also noticed that the holes in the struts are much larger than the ones on the car.

this means that you will have to drill the 3 circular holes out to a tight fit (in my case 9.8mm), the hole should be slightly smaller then the screw so that its very tight.
    It's important not to drill the square one out, yet
    you may also want to put silicone in the holes you drilled out to prevent rust from the exposed surface.

3)
    Now undo the strut bar ends from the centre bar to make them loose, place the ends over the top of the 3 drilled out holes ,
    then put a bolt through the bottom of the holes by putting your hand through the bottom of the mudguards,
    secure the bolt by attaching a nut to the top (don't do them up all the way), might be an idea to use lock nuts and washers in between

4)
    With that complete, tighten the centre bar bolts back to the ends,
    then tighten the nuts with a rattle gun - so that the ends are securely fixed down.
    might want to even line the edge with silicone to give it a bit extra and make it water sealed.

5)
    With all bolts tightened, the last hole in the strut bar end should be perfectly lined up with the remaining square hole.
    so you should be able to put the drill down there and drill the square hole out to the right size circular one, and it will be perfectly lined.
    throw some silicone down there if u wish, and put the next bolt in from through the mudguard and screw a nut on top, then you can use a rattle gun to tighten it.

That's it. You should be ready to go.

Last edited by GU357; 27-05-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    GD3
    nice tutorial
    Last edited by sdx91; 21-05-2011 at 02:04 PM.

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    thanks, hopefully it will help some of the ppl here that are still confused as to how to put 'em on.
    i was gonna make one for the rear but they are easy anyway, unless someone is unsure then ill make it ahaha

rears are straight forward, just make sure you use an allens key to secure the strut top bolt before removing the nut.

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    yeh, pretty much.
    mine didnt spin out though :S
    but yeh maybe with that in mind i should make another DIY.
    also i posted another copy of this thread in the DIY section so u can find it there, i didnt really know how to move this one, and im sure lots of the ppl looking for how to install it are searching the jazz section of the forum anyway.

Member Array
    Car:
    Type R replica
    nice one dude. like i said in the other thread. not too keen on drilling but may resort to it if i cant do what i mentioned in the other thread.

Member Array
    Car:
    Type R replica
    for the rear did you have to take off all the plastics/trim? got any pics that can tell me where to look for clips? dont want break anything lol. i have a Ebay Special(lol) front and rears that i purchased off here.

rear are just 2 plastic panels on top of the strut top, you can remove it using your fingers or a screwdriver.

after that just put in a 14mm socket? or however much it is and an allens key to stop the strut from spinning. loosen the nut take it off.

place the strut bar in, does require abit of plastic bending, then tighten nut on top, again with the allens key in to stop the strut from spinning.

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    lol theres 2 plastic things on the side of the boot, just abt 5-10cm back from the rear seats. and u can see the seams of the plastic u can stick ur nails under em and pop it off, its very easy, if honda had to change ur dampers and they had to remove all the plastic that would be expensive exercise and a sign of poor design.

Yeh its a 10-14 mm ring (closed, circle) spanner and a 6-10 allen key down the middle to hold it down. (i cant remember exactly.) the piston shaft that sticks through probably wont spin through unless the damper is quite worn, but just in case put the allen key in too.
    now enjoy my diagram...

^ alot of effort went here

Member Array
    Car:
    Type R replica
    thanks for that.

this is the strut bar i have, its a bit different...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REAR-Stru...item2eb4cd98aa

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    well yeh, they are all pretty much the same except the ultra racing ones, which are one peice.

either way u have t4o drill in the engine bay its unavoidable, unless ur strut bar has miniature holes.
    and even then u would need some kind of magical square bolt to work on the right hand side one....

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz
    Very helpful tutorial. Do you guys know where I could buy front strut bar for my Jazz GD in Melbourne? Cheers