Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic EJ8

How to tell if u have Coilovers or Springs?

I know its a noob question but i only had my civic EJ8 for a month and the car is too low lol but how do i know if i have coilovers or springs? what does it look like under the car?? im thinking of raising it more higher jst by lil

Turn your steering wheel full lock either way - grab a torch and peer inside the wheel arch - you should see the shock assembly. If it's the standard shock it will be black with either black or another Colour lowered springs. If it's a coilover system it will be generally brightly coloured and you will see a thread on the shock , around and below where the spring sits

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Well let me clarify something. Coilovers ARE springs. Just a different type of setup. It is short for coil over shock. Called so because some cars the springs and shocks are seperate.

Now, adjustable coilovers have a thread on the shock body to allow for adjustment of the spring collars.

A conventional setup hasn't got it.

Sent from my custard cannon like Peter North.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    take a picture and post it up mate

as trism said,

Lots of people say i want coilovers. you actually want adjustable coilovers. to be more specific you want height, damper and rebound adjustable coilovers
    Import Performance and Styling
    -= Official distributors for Password JDM =-

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    I disagree. Height adjustable only for street. Damper and rebound not needed unless its a track car. Its too easy to fcuk it up and make it uncomfortable as shit. They are designed to be adjusted to suit a variety of different spring rates. And the only time this gets done is on a track car. To suit different tracks.

Sent from my Xoom
    to see all of my build, checkout

Oh yeah i agree that height for street only. I was making more of a point that people need to be specific when they order parts. If you went to a shop and said i want coilovers and they gave you something that you can not adjust its cause they gave you what you asked for.
    Import Performance and Styling
    -= Official distributors for Password JDM =-

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic EJ8
    yea i was talking about the street ones...