Member Array
    Car:
    GSi

Thumbs up 2000 VTiR Prelude

Hey guys, my mrs just picked up a 2000 model VTiR of her parents for 9k. They've had it for 7 years and its only got 122,000km on it.

It's a triptronic auto, Is it safe to redline them through the gears in the triptronic mode?

I gave it a good spirited drive the other night through some twistys mainly just in 2nd gear on the triptronic side. Seemed really strong and keeping the revs up around 4500-7500 I was pretty impressed how the car went/handled.

So yeah, what about changing between the gears at high rpm?

Thanks all.
    .: I Heart Honda :.

thats the point of a REDLINE - isn't it ?

Sorry for the sarcasm...but yes its perfectly safe. Just make sure the engine is warmed up and go for it.

Member Array
    Car:
    GSi
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    thats the point of a REDLINE - isn't it ?

Sorry for the sarcasm...but yes its perfectly safe. Just make sure the engine is warmed up and go for it.
    Yeah all good. Just from searching around on here seems people are afraid to give the triptronic a good flogging.
    .: I Heart Honda :.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Congrats! Preludes are probably the most underrated cars around - they're so unheard of compared anything with a type R variant...

Some say the older ones have huge problems... but if i'm not wrong the '00 ones should be OK. I can't be sure, i got a manual.

have a look at other forums, preludes are almost nonexistent here
    Last edited by curtis265; 26-05-2011 at 11:01 AM.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    5th Gen Prelude
    The pre 99 models were said to have too tight tolerances inside the auto gearbox and so would fail way too early. They fixed the problem after that but the auto is still easily weaker than the manual. Its also slower due to both drivetrain losses and the fact that the ratios are horrible. Who the **** needs to go to 100km/h in first!