Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:

Dying your interior carpet

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim:

To get that old gross carpet looking fresh and new.

Required:

Dye Packs x 6
    Spray Bottle x 1
    Mixing tool (Spoon) x 1
    Metal Bowl x 1
    Funnel x 1
    Gloves (Optional. Will get messy be warned) x 1 pair
    Soap/ Cleaning liquid/ Running water
    Dodgy clothes (You're clothes WILL get ruined)
    Clothes Line/ something to hang carpet on
    Rag(s) (To get excess dye out of carpet once dried)

Method:

First of all know how to take apart the interior of your car. That way you can get that carpet out. It's actually quite easy and straight forward.

So once you have done this and got the carpet out, the first thing you should do is give that carpet a really good clean. Vacuum it and use some carpet cleaning solution. Once that's done and dried. You can get into it.

This is the type of dye I used.

Purchased from Spotlight for $12.95 PER PACK.
    I got 6 packs. So $78 for dye.
    This was because I wanted to do the interior carpet, parcel shelf and rear seat boot lining.
    Also bought a metal bowl, spray bottle and a funnel.

So all this carpet dying business should cost you under $100.

I recommend to try and hang your carpet etc up. Be it a clothesline or a tree/ just something.
    It helps when spraying the dye. That way the bottle is constantly upright.

Also when the dye starts to run out in the bottle, just add some more boiling water. Keep using the same dye pack until it looks pretty diluted/ useless. Then open up another.

I tried to leave about 1 hr intervals between each coat. I did 4 coats in total. Doing this as I want to get it as dark as possible. Seeing as with time no doubt this will start to fade.

Leave yourself at least 1 full day to do this. I did this over a two day period. Allowing to dry out in sun etc.

Also I see some people leave the carpet in the car and do it. Don't do it! Just take your carpet out. Makes it sooo much easier and it'll turn out better if you take your time.

Plus use clothes that you can chuck out later. The dye will ruin your clothes.

I am very happy with the outcome. I recommend this to absolutely everyone. If your carpet is ugly and gross. Get it out and do this D.I.Y. It is well worth the time and money.

This is before.

This is after the second coat.

And this is the finished result of the interior, parcel shelf and rear seat boot lining. White piece of paper is to compare the colour difference. Remembering all three pieces used to be that ugly greyish colour to begin with.

Just look at that difference.

Hope you all enjoy. This really is a must do. I did this last year. So far the only thing that has started to fade a bit is the rear parcel shelf. Guess because of the sun on it when outside. Also just remember to try and rub out as much of the excess dye as possible. I can basically wet my carpet and run white paper over it and the dye doesn't run anymore. This makes the interior look so much better.
    Please add rep point if you liked this D.I.Y.
    Last edited by EG5VTI; 08-04-2011 at 08:12 PM.

Good DIY! ill have to try this soon. Thanks
    DEEFUFF 4LYF

Member Array
    Car:
    Yeah it's pretty simple and makes the interior look a lot cleaner.

+ Rep points would be very much appreciated

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4, DC2R, EE3
    really nice pictures and great outcome
    but the write up i think could've been a bit more in depth like D.I.Y Dyeing your carpe
    he gave steps on what to do (ie mixing the dye etc) where as you kind of skippedt that step completely and straight to he finished result

but excellent layout you had, makes it more interesting to read

but having said that i just have a few queries as in the old thread the i've read that we can't really buy the dylon dye anymore, as you have revered to using this dye which is $12.95 a pack + other stuff (funnel and time to mix)
    do you think it'll be more ideal to just buy like vinyl/fabric dye for $16.99 a can which seems to have the same outcome?
    cheers
    MY EK4 CHET ROI
    BUT MY DC2R CAME
    ARRIVE ALIVE

When I was detailing cars, I was working with this guy who showed me how he cleans carpet with dog hair, if its black carpet he just spays over it with black paint lol. You actually couldnt tell, but so dodgy

Member Array
    Car:
    Quote Originally Posted by chinx_4eva View Post
    really nice pictures and great outcome
    but the write up i think could've been a bit more in depth like D.I.Y Dyeing your carpe
    he gave steps on what to do (ie mixing the dye etc) where as you kind of skippedt that step completely and straight to he finished result

but excellent layout you had, makes it more interesting to read

but having said that i just have a few queries as in the old thread the i've read that we can't really buy the dylon dye anymore, as you have revered to using this dye which is $12.95 a pack + other stuff (funnel and time to mix)
    do you think it'll be more ideal to just buy like vinyl/fabric dye for $16.99 a can which seems to have the same outcome?
    cheers
    Ahhh yeah true. Reason I didn't really explain it was becuase you basically just mix the dye with boiling water in the metal bowl. Then once all mixed together just funnel into spray bottle. Once it starts to dilute/ run out just repeat the process with another pack of dye

I just showed it exactly how I did it. I thought would be pretty straight forward and people would understand most of the steps. And yeah no idea how any other dye product works. I just decided after some research that this dye would work well.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    its there any red dye pack ?

Member Array
    Car:
    Only problem with red I would say is that you would possibly need to get your carpet bleached/ gt it WHITE before you put red down. Otherwise would most likely look just terrible.

Member Array
    Car:
    Just helped a mate do this to his car. Also everyone probably a good idea to put your screws etc into zip lock bags or something to know what goes where when you want to put everything back in.

Forgot to do this and ended up with 4 screws left behind not knowing where the hell they came from hehehe. Hope wasn't anything too important.

I still recommend this if your interior carpet looks shiiiiiiiit...

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    wow pretty cool dude

quite intriguing
    DEEFUFF 4LYF