HOW TO: Fix Your Slow or Mis-aligned Power Windows (EG Civic)

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: To improve slow power windows and adjust alignment. This is quite a common problem with early model Hondas, such as ED, EG, EK and DC2's.

Required:

-Ratchet
    -10mm socket
    -Silicone Spray
    -Phillips Head Screwdriver
    -Rags
    -Warm soapy water
    -Old toothbrush

Steps:

1. Remove Door Trim. Unscrew P/W switch and handle surround. Pretty straight forward.

2. Remove Plastic Cover and Speaker. May need to unclip wiring depending on condition of your plastic cover. Also need to unscrew P/W switch bracket first, 2 screws.

3. Put the P/W switch back in and wind the window down.

4. Remove the Window by loosening 2 bolts.

5. Slide the Window out on an angle, back angled up. Put it down out of the way in a safe place.

6. Remove the Glass Run Channel. Put your handle inside the door and start at the back, lift the rubber channel out of the bracket and pull it out slowly. Take care around the corners and take your time, it just pop out of the grooves. This is what it looks like when removed.

7. Clean the Glass Run Channel. The edges of the window slides along this rubber channel. The culprit for slow Power Windows is usually caused by friction in the channel, i.e. dirt and debris inside the groove of this rubber channel. Clean out the inner groove with warm soapy water and a toothbrush. Or you can always go out and buy a new one.

Once clean hang it outside to dry.

8. Remove and Clean Regulator. This step is optional. While we have the door apart might as well go ahead and take out the regulator to clean and grease it. Remove 6 bolts and 1 plug then slide out through big oval hole to take out regulator. Also mark the Roller Guide Mounting bolt to keep the original adjustment.

9. Lay it down and clean all the tracks. Grease all the rollers and teeth.

10. Reinstall Glass Run Channel. Make sure it's dry and lubricate inner groove with some Silicone spray first. I started at the top back edge and worked my way around. Very important to get it to sit right in the groove of the door frame. Stick your head in and make sure it's sitting straight inside the channel brackets inside the door.

11. Reinstall Regulator. Reverse of removal. Just slide it back in and snug up the 6 bolts. Make sure the Roller Guide Mounting bolt is tightened back in the same place. If your window was dropping at the front when raised all the way up (like mine) then you can adjust this Roller Guide bolt down. If you adjust it down it will raise the front of the window up to be level. Also make sure you tighten all bolts back up and ensure the Glass Run Channel brackets are bolted down. Might sound weird but mine was missing a bolt there and the regulator bolts were loose causing my windows to go out of whack.

12. Reinstall Window. You can clean it before installing, especially on the edges. Reinstall is reverse of removal, just slide it back in front end first and line the 2 bolts up and tighten. Make sure it's sitting in the groove of the Run Channel. Test the window and make sure it operates smoothly.

13. Reinstall Plastic Cover. Reinstall Speaker. Put all wiring back in. Re-fit Door Trim, etc.

Other comments

Lubricate Run Channels every once in a while.

If your window is still slow:

1. Your P/W motor is probably on the way out. You can cause premature wear if you keep using your power windows when the rubber channel is clogged up.

2. You need a new Glass Run Channel, old one too worn out. Apparently there is a smooth coating on this rubber channel that gets worn out over time from opening and closing the window repeatedly

If your window keeps popping off the track:

1. Regulator bent

2. Glass run Channel bracket bent / not aligned.

3. Rubber Glass run Channel not properly snugged in or getting distorted when Windows being operated.
    Last edited by dorikin; 23-02-2012 at 04:53 PM.

too much win to fathom.

Excellent DIY (sounds like it scared Bludger though, hehe). Little trick for marking the pos of the roller bolt. Spray with some fast drying paint and it will leave a perfect circle to realign to. Needs a sequel, "how to cut and replace a new plastic waterproofing sheet" 'cause the old ones either rip or shrink when removed. Never seem to go back where they came from.

Quote Originally Posted by hondapop View Post
    Spray with some fast drying paint and it will leave a perfect circle to realign to.
    great idea!!!!

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    + repped
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    Amazing DIY.. Need to do this so bad as I keep just spraying wd40 around the glass run channel instead of really fixing the problem
    good work man

Member Array
    Car:
    Corolla Spec S
    repped

excellent thread

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    +rep

awesome diy... mine isn't too bad so I don't think I have the energy to do this... but will definitely come in handy if I ever do

Thanks guys, it's very satisfying fixing all the niggly little problems and doing it the right way.

I wouldn't recommend spraying WD40, it might work for a couple days then dry up again, Get some Silicone Spray

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    Great write up. Silicon spray is the bomb. The guides will normally be pretty happy with just a clean with a rag and warm soapy water, but obviously doing it properly would be the best bet.