Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

d16 cold air intake

hey i have a question about a cold air intake i have installed it is unknown brand CAI into my d16y1 eg, i put a tube into the CAI and into my rocket cover. running a 3A filter
    it isnt running properly, the performance has decrease where i believe it should be increased.
    my friend told me i needed an extra tube/hole on my CAI and attached soemwhere else so the engine can sense how much air is flowing.
    1. my problem is i do not know where the sensor is in the engine bay and where it can be attached
    2. can i make a hole on my CAI and attach it
    picture of my engine bay

thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Y1 only has the Breather pipe, where as Y8 has Sensor and the breather pipe on the intake arm.

Try resetting the ecu, might make a difference
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    you can also delete that extra breather hose thats now in the engine bay fairly easily
    make sure you put a vibration bolt or bracket on that down pipe as well - its going to rattle to hell if you dont

once you have that sorted out - reset the ecu (remove ecu fuse for 5min) than let the car idle for 10min
    now you can take it for a drive - but make sure you go easy to start off with and make sure the car is warmed up properly before hitting it hard

i have a similar setup on my D15b7 - i had a whale SRI and went to a fujita CAI
    i noticed alot of gains in mid and low end and better throttle response - but lost a little bit of top end
    - very normal for SRI > CAI

have a look in my build thread in my sig for more info
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    With my D16Y1 I think I lost low-end power but it revs more freely up top (not exactly faster though).

Reset ECU and if you don't like it just go back to stock box, remove resonator, and attach flex-pipe from bottom of airbox to front of bumper.

Thanks guys I'll give it a try this weekend when I do my oil change,
    when im on a 70 rd doing 60 and want to overtake, I down gear to get to 70 though it takes ages to gain
    10kmph, I compared it to my sister inlaws vti (same engine different years) she has a stock box still and it
    Is a pretty noticeable big difference. But yeah I will try that this weekend I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Also, saint did you mean take of the stock breather hose or the one that is attached right now to the cai and rocket cover?

Member Array
    Car:
    NHB DC2R + EURO
    Sounds like you need a DOHC motor his many klms are on your current? Maybe it needs replacing or a retune/compression tests

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    the stock breather hose can be removed - theres a coolant or breather line thats attached to it - but that can be replaced with just a normal peice of hose

this engine is one of the best D-series available in australia - i have one of the worse EFI one (D15b7) and even when that was stock it would get down and boogie and thats done heeps of kms
    its tuned now tho lol
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Quote Originally Posted by TheSaint View Post
    the stock breather hose can be removed - theres a coolant or breather line thats attached to it - but that can be replaced with just a normal peice of hose

this engine is one of the best D-series available in australia - i have one of the worse EFI one (D15b7) and even when that was stock it would get down and boogie and thats done heeps of kms
    its tuned now tho lol
    yeah the d is good, looked at your build thread, great write up! good stuff, gonna try do some mods similar to yours, gave me some ideas! thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blastnpast View Post
    Sounds like you need a DOHC motor his many klms are on your current? Maybe it needs replacing or a retune/compression tests
    one day ill do a DOHC conversion, though wanna learn more about these engines, and yeah first car is a d-series which im pretty happy with great sound when kicks SOHC

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    What gear are you changing down to when you accelerate from 60-70?

If you want more get-up power then you should invest in a light-weight flywheel. Will rev up fasterrrrrr.

4-2 is good due to high revs, 4-3 is bad at 2000rpm though it's comparing the difference to stock one is what I'm trying to say, stock has better response,