Member Array

Installing/uninstalling headers on a DC5R

This is the process I used to remove my Toda Headers and re-install the stock headers.
    The same process can be used to remove stock headers and install aftermarket headers.

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: Installing/uninstalling headers on a DC5R

Required:

• 10mm socket
    • 12mm socket
    • 14mm socket
    • 5inch Socket extension
    • 15inch Breaker bar/Flex handle bar
    • Ratchet (I used a 1/2 inch drive ratchet)
    • Adjustable spanner or Spanners in 10mm, 12mm, 14mm and 22mm (from memory)

Note: Use hexagonal sockets for less chance of rounding the bolts/nuts, especially in step 2.

Steps:
    1. Remove the hose from the bracket and loosen the bolt with a 10mm socket to remove the bracket
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	474 
Size:	183.1 KB 
ID:	18808

2. Loosen the 5 bolts/nuts (top 2 are nuts, bottom three are bolts) displayed using a 14mm socket.

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	493 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	18806

3. Remove the front wheels:
    a. Put a wheel chock behind the rear wheels and ensure the handbrake is on.
    b. Loosen the wheel lugnuts and jack up the car. Place a jackstand at each side of the car and lower the car onto the jackstand. (I kept the hydraulic jack at the front of the car for additional support however most of the cars weight is on the jackstands - there is not much of the cars weight on the jack).
    c. Remove the lugnuts and take of the wheels

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	554 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	18803

4. Go underneath the car and remove the 3 bolts/nuts (14mm) that are used to hold the cat and catback exhaust together. (Note: on the stock cat, the bolt is welded onto the car so you need to remove the 3 nuts only)

Name:	4.JPG 
Views:	516 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	18798

5. Remove the primary and secondary from the header and cat. I think they were 22mm. I used a spanner but if you have one of those deep sockets with a slit on the side for the cable to run through then it would be much easier.

Name:	5.JPG 
Views:	461 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	18800

6. Remove the 2 spring loaded bolt/nuts (12mm from memory) that holds the header and cat together. At this point the cat should be unattached. (Note: I had to do this as there wasn't enough room under the car to take the header off.

Name:	5 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	427 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	18810

7. Remove the front swaybar
    a. Remove the endlink from the swaybar but removing the nut with a 10mm and using a allen/hex key to hold the bolt inside of the nut (You'll understand this better once you see it). Do this for the left and right side.

Name:	6.JPG 
Views:	416 
Size:	153.2 KB 
ID:	18807

b. Go underneath the car and remove the swaybar mount by undoing the 2 bolts (I think it was a 14mm). There are 2 mounts for the sway bar.

Name:	14.JPG 
Views:	483 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	18811

c. This is the comparison between DC5R (top) and EP3 (bottom) swaybars. You can see the EP3 swaybar has more room to accomodate aftermarket headers.

Name:	7.JPG 
Views:	1008 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	18801

8. Remove the 5 bolts/nuts that you loosened in step 15.

9. Remove the header from the car. This is the comparison between Toda headers with cat and stock headers with cat.

Name:	8.JPG 
Views:	777 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	18799Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.JPG 
Views:	893 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	18802

10. Remove the heat shield from the stock headers and install the headers to the engine. Loosely Screw the 2 nuts on so that it'll hold the headers there. (Note: I didn't need to remove the cat from the stock headers - depends on how much room you have to maneuver the header onto the engine)

Name:	9.JPG 
Views:	395 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	18805

11. Re-install the swaybar you removed in step 7. Torque to 39Nm on the endlink and 39Nm on the mounts underneath the car.

12. Re-install the primary and secondary oxygen sensors you removed in step 5. Torque to 44Nm.

13. Re-attach the stock cat to the catback exhaust. Torque to 33Nm.

14. Screw on the bolts/nuts on the engine. Torque to 44Nm.

Name:	12.JPG 
Views:	312 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	18797

15. Install the heat shield by screwing on the 4 bolts. Torque to 22Nm.

Name:	13.JPG 
Views:	320 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	18804

16. Re-attach the hose and bracket you removed in step 1.

17. Put the wheels back on and lower the car onto the ground.

Other comments:
    After step 14, you can turn on the engine and ensure there are no exhaust leaks.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    wtf. thats some serious jack you got there.
    respect y0!
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    thanks mate.
    it's a Liftech LT150TLP if anyone is wondering. works well but weighs around 50kg so it's a little hard to lug around.