Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD2 Civic Sport

Where/How to connect LED DRL's (Daytime Running Liights)

ok so I know there are HEAPS of haters, but I have seen quite a few pics and honeslty think if you install the correct ones, and in a good position, they look awesome. I will install them next to the foggies, or in the centre radiator intake.

I searched the entire forumand google, unless I am not searching correctly, I found nothing.

I have purchased a set but have not received them yet so no pics.

However I have no idea where to connect them to. I want them to come on with the ignition, so can anyone help me as to where in the engine bay I can connect them?

If I am desperate I will tap into the headlights, but I prefer them to be true DRL and be on with the ignition.

If anyone can help me out I promise to follow up with pucs and a DIY if anyone is interested.

Thanks guys.

just splice them into the parkers ? Easy to do. Ground to ground power to power.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD2 Civic Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    just splice them into the parkers ? Easy to do. Ground to ground power to power.
    that's what ill do but it means they will only be on with parkers on.

I would prefer them on with the ignition. where do I connect them for that?

from accessories such as lighter (on when key is on accessory , then final click is start)
    http://civictype-r.co.uk/forum/viewt...?f=112&t=27742

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    You'll have to tap the ciggy/acc circuit.

there is no true DRL circuit connected to fuse #37 as you may read american forums and find in the american civic - i tried putting a fuse in once to see if it would work...

These DRL's have the highbeams running on some 'low power' mode.
    Last edited by curtis265; 05-06-2011 at 08:50 PM.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic Sedan
    You can do what curtis has a picture of. However you will need to make the whole circuit yourself.

Alternatively just wire to accessories (there's a wire to your headunit) or to the back of your cig lighter.

For grouding, you can ground in the engine bay on top of where there are ground already on the chassis. If you wanna run the ground cable all the way back behind the dash, you can do that also.

Would be a fun exercise.

I believe there is a how-to in the DIY section on a jazz. Should be relativelty same procedure.

stance > fenders

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD2 Civic Sport
    Thanks for the info guys.

Looks like the cig lighter is tha way to go. Will be fun running it through the firewall and to the actual cig lighter.

Although I am sure it will be worth it.

I also read up about the US DRL. Pretty stupid if you ask me. Why not provide a true DRL? Shame our fuse is not wired up. I got excited when I found it in the manual.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic Sedan
    Well it would need a relay and a resistor basically. The relay would switch from DRL High-beam to Normal Highbeam whenever you clicked your high beams on.

The Gen 6 VW Golf's have DRL's using this too. Not bad imo, and less rice than LED DRLs on a civic.

stance > fenders

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    We don't have the DRL circuit because we're not required by law to have DRL's here.. silly if u ask me, they make a world of difference in terms of visiblity. and IMO it looks good, but that's just because i see all the fancy VW's having it

I guess it just comes down to cost cutting again
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD2 Civic Sport
    Cost cutting?

You mean like NO:
    - DRL's
    - Internal sunroof console LED (interior mood light)
    - Heated seats for the sport with leather
    - No auto door locking

The list goes on.

We get so ripped off it literally makes me sick. They you buy a Hyundai for 10k less and it has everything.

Once day they will wake up and leave all these goodies in.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD2 Civic Sport
    I ended up installing the DRL's. Personally I think they look awesome (if I may say so myself). I spliced then to the parkers, so they are only on at night. Probably better than being an attention seeker during the day. After all, it's not stock so will look like a try hard.

I'm waiting for my xenon parker bulbs as I have 5000k in the fogs and headlights. Once I get the parkers I will post some pics. Looks pretty bad having bright white DRL's and yellow (3200k) headlights, parkers and fogs.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2 N/A what?
    Lol I just took my Parkers out. Looks better I reckon. Where did you mount the drl?
    i live my life full boost, one gear at a time.