Thread: BHG or not?

BHG or not?

hey ozhondaians..

Im looking to buy a b16a eg and i went to go see this one. its awesome I loved it and I was about to buy it until I saw this. it wasn't anything major but it put me in two minds and i backed out at the last moment.

I basically found oil which looked like it was coming from the block. the bloke reckoned it was from the vtec solinoid but there wasnt any signs of it dripping down. it wasnt much oil jst a tiny bit. so i dunno? also if it is a blown head gasket how much would it be to fix would it need a complete rebuild?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/photo22pd.jpg/

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    that is a common leak on older vtec engines, nothing major. Its probably either from the camseal or vtec solenoid.

i dont think it was vtec solenoid as it didnt seem it was dripping down. if it was the camseal how much would it be to fix it..

Member Array
    Car:
    eg5
    Cam plug shouldnt cost too much to do. It just involves removing the valve cover and some bits that hold down the camshaft. Shouldnt be more than an hours job.
    $70-100/hr is mechanics charging rate.

I had the same problem and just replaced it myself. Just need the camplug which is like less than $25 from honda and some gasket sealant + tools and a torque wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by duzy View Post
    Cam plug shouldnt cost too much to do. It just involves removing the valve cover and some bits that hold down the camshaft. Shouldnt be more than an hours job.
    $70-100/hr is mechanics charging rate.

I had the same problem and just replaced it myself. Just need the camplug which is like less than $25 from honda and some gasket sealant + tools and a torque wrench.
    so you dont reckon its the head gasket aswell?

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    if it drove normally, temp wasnt too high or anything then no.

Quote Originally Posted by GSi_PSi View Post
    if it drove normally, temp wasnt too high or anything then no.
    oh okay cheers for the help man, i thinking now maybe i missed out but im sure another b16 will pop around here in qld! just cant wait to buy a car, its so frustrating tho! i just wanna hit vtec

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Hi mate,

Just because it drives normally and the temperature is fine doesn't mean it's not the headgasket.

My EF8 with OBD0 B16A had all three leaks - VTEC solenoid seal, cam seal and head gasket. It passed RWC because during the inspection no oil dropped from the engine onto the ground underneath. The compression was 215, 210, 215, 220 (awesome) and drove like new.

To test, I would suggest getting a can of degreaser and starting up the engine. Degrease around the VTEC solenoid/cam seal/head gasket (between head and block). Hold a cloth under the VTEC solenoid/cam seal and pull on the accelerator cable to get some revs while you watch between the head/block. If you see oil seeping out then you know it's the head gasket. Even with the head gasket leaking in this location the engine is often perfectly fine to drive but long-term it's a good idea to have it replaced (including decking so the head/block mate properly).

VTEC solenoid seal is like $30-35. Cam seal I think is about $20. VTEC solenoid is easy to DIY - wouldn't pay somebody to do it (check the DIY section). Cam seal can't be too hard, but I haven't done it. Head gasket...TBH if everything else on the car is good and you can't see symptoms of a bad leak as mentioned above then I'd probably still buy it for the right price.

thanks man, yeah it probs wasnt the head gasket aye if its not sold then maybe ill still snap it up. if it was the head gasket how much would i be up for?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    $600 for gasket + labour? Not sure dude. Test it like I said, I'm not saying it's not the head gasket, but it's most likely the VTEC solenoid seal = easy fix.

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    Dont be in such a rush bro and dont get cut if you dont pick up this eg . B16 eg is nothing exciting nowadays and to be honest man wait around for a clean b18c eg, you will get bored of b16 eg and want more power in no time.
    Make sure you check all things thoroughly you don't want to buy a lemon.
    Check underneath of the car bushings, arm controls, sussy etc if your getting it Cheap though you can't expect gold so if the car overall is nice and only cheap easy fixes I say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by GSi_PSi View Post
    Dont be in such a rush bro and dont get cut if you dont pick up this eg . B16 eg is nothing exciting nowadays and to be honest man wait around for a clean b18c eg, you will get bored of b16 eg and want more power in no time.
    Make sure you check all things thoroughly you don't want to buy a lemon.
    Check underneath of the car bushings, arm controls, sussy etc if your getting it Cheap though you can't expect gold so if the car overall is nice and only cheap easy fixes I say go for it.
    yeah i wasnt even planning on buying a b16, just a clean GLI or something as i have work which is 60kms away and uni. so yeah will wait and see what pops up. cheers man.