[CL9] Wheel bearing noise?

Update: Was a wheel bearing.
    Last edited by EuroSteve; 21-06-2014 at 10:25 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    do you have any suspension mods mang?

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    It'd be near impossible to damage CV so bad it requires replacing, on such a new car.. Especially a Honda.. So rule that out imo
    Definantly thinking wheel bearing.. Are your front rotors Captive or ROH Style? If they're captive and the Hub/Bearing was damaged when your rotors were replaced, might be the cause..

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroSteve View Post
    Stock as a rock ;-)

ROH style, came off easy, so I don't expect I would have damaged the bearing.

The car has done 120k (I picked it up at 80k), and as far as I know, it's never had anything in the front end, apart from rotors/pads, replaced.

Listening to the noise again on my way to work this morning (unsuccessfully trying to record it on my phone..LOL), it definitely sounds more like it's coming from the front, but I can't tell left or right. I should mention that it's not very loud, but certainly noticeable every time I roll up to lights.

If it's a wheel bearing, I should be able to feel some movement in the hub, right? I'll jack it up for a closer inspection in the next couple days.
    Yes you should be able to engage the steering lock once in the air, and feel play up/down and forward/back on the wheel (A tiny bit is normal however)
    Get your mate to ride his pushbike along side you, and listen as you roll to a stop.. Try it on both sides, and you'll narrow it down =P Helps if said mate is mechanically minded also lol

Member Array
    Car:
    EG8
    just been through same/similar issue with my eg man, turned out to be bearings even through I really did think it was CV's which got a now pointless rebuild lol..... do this to "feel" the rumble: jack up car with tires on obviously fronts out of gear, now place your hand/fingers on the last section of the springs and turn the wheel... youl feel like a gritty rough feel compared to smooth feel of good bearings..... Its an annoying issue as you kinda cannot fix till you start swapping parts.
    Why don't you tell your daddy to comb his damn hair, look like some spiders is having a meetin' on his head.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG8
    mine was a constant rummbling/grinding sound that just kept going on despite speed..only thing that did stop it was turning left... have you checked rotors/pads & dust sheild rub?? thats another issue i had that caused noise
    Why don't you tell your daddy to comb his damn hair, look like some spiders is having a meetin' on his head.

Member Array
    Car:
    '06 Euro Std 5A
    Absolute Car Care in Woolloongabba mate, best mechanics you will ever use and damn reasonable as well. They are Honda trained.
    '06 Accord Euro Std
    Stock standard =|

Member Array
    Car:
    MY12 CU2 Auto
    the driveshaft on the left is shorter than the driveshaft on the right, that's something to consider. Normally with CV joints u will first notice a noise when your turning,(more like a ticking or tapping noise) close to full lock & i would consider it unlikely for CV joints to fail at that milage (unless at some stage the vehicle has been mistreated by wheel spinning) The unknown factor is how often has the gearbox oil been changed over the live of the vehicle. I would tend to think it may be a gearbox noise, more likely from the differential, but possibly a mainshaft bearing. It is impossible to diagnose on a forum. By steering left there is more load on the right of the vehicle.

Member Array
    Car:
    MY12 CU2 Auto
    U will find there will be several bearings on the mainshaft, so depending what gear it is in will depend what bearing is is under load. as for differential bearings they can be under different loads turning left or right. Running the car with wheels off the ground may not re produce the noise as the load is different, especially if it is a differential bearing.

While I believe it would be unusual for a differential bearing to fail at that milage, other factors need to be taken into account, for example if the car at some stage hit a curb it could place undue stress on a bearing or the alloy housing. You would never know once the wheel was replaced.

A classic example is my previous FD1 Auto civic, a woman backed into it when parked & pushed the car back several feet. after about 15,000km following that incident i could drive on a flat road @ 100kph with cruise control on & it would hunt back & forth between 3rd & 5th gear (but only after about 70km of driving). I then sold the car, so the following owner would have no idea about the incident.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 x2
    Sounds like a gear box issue. Had alot of euros with mainstaft bearing problems. We use the noise finder and attach it to the gearbox. It normally pin points the noise correctly everytime.
    Hope it all works out ok for you.
    hondadynamiks - ADELAIDE