Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra Type R JDM

timing belt hanging off cam gear about 3mm why??

hey guys just installed timing belt and b16a cam gears on my crx car runs beautifully and sound. just the timing belt doesnt seem to be sitting on the gears properly

ive let the car run for about 3 hours straight and its not moving at all, i just want to know what i have installed wrong? keep in mind the car is running b16a adjustable cam gears. but i dont think that should influence where the belt sits.

when i put the crank pulley on there was a washer on the inside of it and one on the outside, i put it back together just the way i pulled it apart, EXCEPT i didnt put any of the plastic covering that covers all of the timing belt, its was all F'ed from when the first timing belt snapped.

jdmEG5: Will u take 2 ounces of weed +$500 your way? I'm not kidding.

Speed is a matter of money... How fast can you AFFORD to go?

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra Type R JDM
    should also ask, how tight is the cam belt suppose to be, mine is pretty tight, and i could understand y having it to tight could make the belt wander

Dude
    You need all those covers. All it takes is one little stone to bounce
    In there and **** everything.
    As for your issue. Looks to be that the b series gears must be thicker. Therefore the b series timing belt must be slightly thicker than a d series
    Too

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra Type R JDM
    i kno. but i cant reuse the ones that were on there, its like an hours work to take the belt back off, what i need to kno is, will the belt last like this is it safe to drive?

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Where'd you get the gam gears? What brand? Incorrectly made (wrong offset?)
    My Bisimoto cam gear is wider than the belt, but the belt sits centred on the gear.

Id take your timing belt cover off and check the rest of the belt is sitting nicely on the waterpump/tensioner pulley/etc just to confirm that it's the gears fault
    Then throw them in the bin and buy Bisimoto ones.. Lol
    You'll prematurely wear your timing belt if 3mm is hanging off the back side of the gear, you said it's already had one timing belt snap.. Probably wanna avoid that happening again lol

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra Type R JDM
    there off my mates b16b type r civic, the belt is siting nice firm and snug on everything else, the last belt snapped due to a failed water pump.

im begging to maybe the think that there maybe too much tension on the belt itself.

i wont be throwing the cam gears out. thanks :P

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    bisimoto cam gears arnt fantastic - the fitment on my D15 was wrong (they scrubbed on the rear plastic cover) and the deg marks are hard to read and the adjuster bolts arnt very good

bisimoto is still doing R+D on cam gears - they make fantastic cams tho =p

i will be using skunk2 next time
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSaint View Post
    bisimoto cam gears arnt fantastic - the fitment on my D15 was wrong (they scrubbed on the rear plastic cover) and the deg marks are hard to read and the adjuster bolts arnt very good

I had to modify the cover on my F22A, because the ARP adjusting bolts didn't quite clear.. But that's life!
    I think the laser etched marks are great! Most brands only paint them on..
    Nothing is better than an ARP bolt, and the adjustment setup is great..Won't ever slip, i don't know how you could fault them.. Skunk2, now THEY make some junk lol.

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    Put the std gears on, prob solved.(Offset it wrong)
    Or did you pull them appart & put them back together back-to-front?
    Are they D gears or B gears?

When you phoned I only heard B16A
    If I heard D16A, I would have said burn it... LOL
    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
    TODA Racing - FIGHTEX - MFactory - HALTECH - EXEDY
    Race engines, Dyno tuning, Licenced workshop, Parts.
    P:0401869524 email: toda@todaracing.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra Type R JDM
    bahahaha

there b series cam gears, ill take em off and reverse em, i thought i might have to do that!! :P i think all i need to do is reverse the centres maybe

Member Array
    Car:
    crx gen 1/gen 2
    I have found that the hub to outer rim alignments are different on the D and B cams. Reversing them so the alignments are the same works. You will probably need to replicate the markings on the reverse side so you can see them.
    anjin

aka ian

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSaint View Post

Hey bro,

I'm currently using Skunk2 cam gears and have had no issues with them, but my friend's threw off a nut which half tore up his timing belt (got lucky, just) and then a few months later they cracked on the splines completely.
    It was the first time I'd ever seen this but some internet research showed similar results with a couple of other people.
    Skunk2 replaced the cam gears free of charge, but to be honest I'm very wary of my own and frequently check that the nuts are good and tight.

After looking over some other options I think there are other cam gears that appear to be more structually sound. I'm not trying to bag Skunk2 but I just think it's worth doing a little research. Crower and AEM have a great name.

Crower

AEM

Skunk2

Consider other options.