Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EK1

D series Turbo Thread

Hey guys! Just wanted to open the discussion on D turbos.

I've seen in another thread about H,B,K Series debate, so I've decided to open this thread with the advantages of having a D

Each engine has their pros and cons, but personally the D is the most underrated engine, yet the most mysterious..

So guys, just a few questions to start off!

- PROS and CONS about the Turbo D.
    - The GENERAL BUDGET for a high comp low boost setup (5-7psi)
    - Legality issues with the Turbo D including engineering cert and costs.
    - People's OWN OPINION about what setup they would personally do!

All other Honda enthuisiasts, please have an open heart towards the D! alot of people would do the build to be DIFFERENT

Well please post genuine and appropriate comments towards this thread and please rep if you like

Kj.
    "HONDA = Hold On Not Done Accelerating."

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    turbo d-series, better than goin for b-series swap imo

To give rough estimate, turbo d, with stock exhaust, an injectors, 5 psi = 100kw easy!

Give it a 2.5-3 inch exhaust, some 440cc injectors and full ecu, prbs closer to 140kw

This is just a basic of it, obviously theres more to it though, and especially the engineering cert if its gonna be a daily

My mates got turbo his d in his eg, never looked back at n/a, using greddy turbo kit, budget all up closer to 2.5k
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    If I was going to turbo a D I'd probably try and do it as cheap as possible, in the spirit of the engine! Probably ebay manifold, old turbo from a Nissan or Mitsubishi or w/e, I already have a 60mm mild-steel exhaust in my shed somewhere, cheap intercooler, the whole lot. See how cheap you can make power. Would probably be a lot of fun and I'd love to do it...

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by jaces13 View Post
    All other Honda enthuisiasts, please have an open heart towards the D! alot of people would do the build to be DIFFERENT
    D for Different!
    This is exactly how the car industry needs to be viewed.. Styles, trends, whatever.. They're all started by somone doing something different.. And a bunch of others liking it, and doing it too!
    Doesn't matter what car, what Engine, what mods.. If it's different (And awesome) you've got yourself a winner.

And when you say high comp, do you mean standard compression?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by Jccck View Post
    D for Different!
    This is exactly how the car industry needs to be viewed.. Styles, trends, whatever.. They're all started by somone doing something different.. And a bunch of others liking it, and doing it too!
    Doesn't matter what car, what Engine, what mods.. If it's different (And awesome) you've got yourself a winner.

And when you say high comp, do you mean standard compression?
    generally, turbo cars of the 90's relied on low comp to add more boost = power unlike all the new cars of today, high comp, with boost, soooo in turn, yes its consider high comp on the d-series the standard comp.

the only thing u dont cheap out on is the tune, this is the make or break part. Highly recommend Rev zone if ur in melb, they tuned my mates car with GREDDY E-manage.

And when money permits, definite get HD clutch, odds are the power is too much for oem clutch, an will be gone in matter of minutes if u keep pushing it..... Fuel pump, injectors and most important, the most expensive part, LSD.

As far as quality of turbo goes, anything thats off another car, thats in good condition, an the seals are fine, an not much shaft play is good enough. If its water cooled bearing turbo, even better. And if its a Ball bearing, win win!!!!
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    pros: if anything ****s up who givs a shit its cheap anyways.
    goes good as, best bang buck all i can say,

general budget: i spent more then 4k on the turbokit coz im picky on parts and not even finish.

cons: if the setup aint engineered then pigs r going to book u and also insurance company will reject ur claim.
    too much power in it then it will throw a rod out the engine block.

own opinion: its fun as, beats alot of cars, if u people r planning on boosting a D and not building the engine and using it for daily then a small turbo like t25 would be best suited.

but end of the day i kinda regret doing it should of just bought a new car instead.

peace out.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Thanks for the reply guys!

Yes D is for Different haha completely agreed! its only because its the dark horse in Australia to boost Ds in comparison to the yanks.

Yes high comp mean standard compression of the D.

My mate said that ebay kits are NOT bad. They are good if you know your turbos, if everything fits correctly then too easy. But if things need to be replaced, then let it be replaced, all in all its a d turbo set up, at the end of the day its different from the typical b series build ..

But guys just wondering .. how much is it to get it engineered? also .. reputable tuners in NSW? I know a few .. but they tune nissans so id best stick to the guys who know their hondas.

yes and guys, my car is a daily so im only going to be pushin 5-7psi MAX. Obviously id push more later on down the track, but my first purchase is to cheap out on getting an ebay turbo kit then picking up more premium quality parts from there.

And I agree, its all about the tune
    "HONDA = Hold On Not Done Accelerating."

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I hear the SOHC D's hold about 140kw max, and once you put 140-150kw they throw rods.

If I wanted a turbo setup that didn't hit full boost until about 3,500-4,000 RPM what size turbo would you guys recommend? Because if ever turbo my D16Y1 I don't want it to be spooling so quickly so that I can still rev it to 2,500-3,000 without chomping through the juice so hard...

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Nissans T25g from the black top SR20 , reason im saying the black top, is due to age, as all type-X 180's are from 97 onwards and odds are they havent been boosted past 10psi.

They spool easily under 3k rpm, and enough to hold u to 140kw, good for upto 160kw than after that, they run outta puff, if u really wanted to push the budget, the T28 off the S14 is another good upgrade, than obviously the expensive S15 T28 ball bearing turbo

Skyline R33/R32 turbos are again nice addition, but anything past 10psi, say good bye to the exhaust wheel, but will lag due to the size of it

Even the WRX turbo are great upgrade, but again if aiming for bit more power, they start to run outta puff..... ive seen few ppl in the states use turbos off a volvo an even diesels vehicles.

few other cars that i cant think off to rip out the turbo lol

an yeah sucks that we cant push more than 140kw, before it spits out the rod, but a rebuilt one on the other hand, with parts that isnt too pricey, might be worth looking into
    Last edited by mugen_ctr; 15-07-2011 at 06:11 PM.
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Yeah, but what if you don't want it to spool below 3,000RPM, but rather above? This way you can drive without hitting boost all the time if you don't want to.

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    I would recommend mods to close this thred based on past reactions.

If you want to get more genunine feedback based on real life projects (not ozhonda jibber-jabber) just use www.D-series.org
    Light up with Lyle - Electrical / Communications / Instrumentation

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by jaces13 View Post
    Yes high comp mean standard compression of the D.
    I'll be pumping 22+ PSI through a standard compression F22A.. It's the only way to go!