Thread: topping up oil

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Magic carpet

topping up oil

if my oil level is between the end of the dip stick and lower hole is it safe to top up my oil with any form of 5w30 mixing it with old oil? when topping it off would I need to top it off to in between the lower and higher hole on the dip stick? or all the way to the higher hole?.

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Its never a good idea to 'mix' oil. Top it up with the same oil brand/type if you can. If it is to get you by for whatever reason and you have to mix, then yes do it. Its better doing that then the engine starving of oil. Best to fill to the upper hole (max mark), but again if needed, between holes is ok. Take in to account oil level readings will differ from when you turn off the engine (hot) to after 10mins or so or (cold).
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    just take this as an oppurtunity to change the oil. youll have to put nearly 3 litres in it, so may as well buy a new filter for 25 bucks, and just change the oil while youre at it.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Magic carpet
    Thank's for the quick response. Im gonna be draning it tomorrow and putting a new batch in. if I'm changing the filter aswell how many ltrs would I be putting into the engine? I think I remember it being 4.7ltrs from memory. Would you think to get a filter from repco as apose to honda is no biggie?

cheers

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Magic carpet
    only thing is im putting it into a service where the oil is gonna get changed anyway in less then 1000k's. But i'll just change it anyway like your saying to be on the safe side

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    1st question is how the hell did you manage to get the oil that low? It's never okay for the oil to ge slow the lower mark.

It's okay to mix oil you are just gonna put a little bit in... As log as they are the same grade xw-30 and xw-30 etc etc.

You gonna use almost 5l if you are also changing the filter in the euro, also do yourself a favor... Do a flush before you put in the new oil, if the oil level was that low for anything more than a few days you might be looking as some serious dirty oil in there right now. And Imo use some decent semi-syn or full-syn oil. Leave the crappy stuff like castrol Gtx to the commodores and falcons.

Good luck.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    change it, and tell them not to do it when it gets serviced, because youve only just done it..
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    07' CL9 Lux 5AT
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathn View Post
    Would you think to get a filter from repco as apose to honda is no biggie?
    I don't think you'd save too much money using an aftermarket filter as opposed to the Honda one. Last time I changed my oil I priced a Honda filter at $23.33 (+$1.72 for the crush washer), whilst Supercheap wanted $19.99 for the correct Ryco filter IIRC. Whilst I've never had a problem with Ryco filters, for $3 difference I figured I may as well get the Honda one.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    Get a Honda filter.I paid approx.$18 inc.washer 1 mth.ago.

Member Array
    Car:
    07' CL9 Lux 5AT
    Quote Originally Posted by tony1234 View Post
    Get a Honda filter.I paid approx.$18 inc.washer 1 mth.ago.
    Far out I'm getting ripped then! Which dealer was this?

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 03
    just ask for trade they should sort you out or "a better price" dont just take what they give u the first time.