Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Array
    Car:
    Hondaless :(
    erm so after dowsing the shit out of all the bolts with penetrating fluid i used a breaker bar on the bolt connecting the arm to the chassis and it pretty much stripped it straight away. there *might* be a slight chance that an impact gun could grab on to the remnants of the bolt head, but i'm not confident. any ideas?
    b series vtec goes up to 11...

Member Array
    Car:
    Canon 5d
    are you using single hex or double hex socket?

if you are using double socket that's your first problem.

if it hasn't rounded off yet try using 9/16 mm single hex socket tap it on with hammer and use a breaker bar and undo it.

if it hasn't rounded off yet try using 14 mm single hex socket tap it on with hammer and use a breaker bar and undo it.

if it hasn't rounded off yet try using 1/2 mm single hex socket tap it on with hammer and use a breaker bar and undo it. ( if you are using 1/2 you have gone way beyond it and would probably best using a chisel and hammer ).

also if you have a cheap set of spanners you are best off trying to use them as the cheaper sets a usually out of accuracy which will usually fit over well! hope that helps!

Member Array
    Car:
    I was using a double hex, found one of my dad's single hex ones from an old expensive toolkit - it seems to fit way better. It is rounded when using the double hex, but the single hex seems to fit way better and gets a lot more purchase, it doesn't feel like it's going to strip when I put pressure on it. Just needs some more penetrating oil and to sit overnight I think. The single hex socket managed to undo one of the other ones that was seized but not stripped - works way better than the double hex ones!! Thanks a lot for your help!

Member Array
    Car:
    Canon 5d
    all good, just remember single hex use single hex socket, double use double, fundamentals, only use double hex when you're stuck! wd40 helps great, but it only needs to penetrate for a few minutes not hours or days!

the wd40 will make its way through the threads, if you know how wd40 works you will know what i mean,,

hope that helps,

Member Array
    Car:
    ok now im completely fcked. its nearly stripped using the single hex socket, nearly broke my arms in the process. and to make it even worse, the other bolt next to it which i thought i managed to get out (i broke the seal on it) isnt actually coming out of the hole, its just endlessly spinning. it goes half a turn, gets a little tighter, then looser, but never actually proceeds to come out. this goes for trying to do it up as well. help wish i never even started this..

Member Array
    Car:
    Canon 5d
    if its getting tight then looser, tight then looser, chances are whoever installed or mucked around it before you did might of stripped the bolt putting it in!

if you can get a pair pliers on the bolt apply force and at the same time try undoing the bolt, this way it sort of forces its way out!

Member Array
    Car:
    Had to get the next door neighbour in he used to be a panel beater we cut a small hole in the boot floor where the encapsulated nut is welded to the chassis, sure enough I managed to use enough force to break the weld on the frame so we are going to get an impact gun and hold on to the nut with a spanner but it also seems to be cross threaded. as for the one with the stripped head the neighbour said he can weld a socket to the bolt head and use an impact gun or big breaker bar

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1>DC2R+CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by rubixcube View Post
    Had to get the next door neighbour in he used to be a panel beater we cut a small hole in the boot floor where the encapsulated nut is welded to the chassis, sure enough I managed to use enough force to break the weld on the frame so we are going to get an impact gun and hold on to the nut with a spanner but it also seems to be cross threaded. as for the one with the stripped head the neighbour said he can weld a socket to the bolt head and use an impact gun or big breaker bar
    yer i been raeding my thread and seeing this.. okay well u need go out and get urself these rachet/braker bar sockets, what they have is little teeth inside them which lock on the bolt, and allow you to undo them no matter how bad the damage is, if u got a sydney tools near u then they got em and there also a great help, but just chill out, cos freaking out about it only make things worse trust me lol let me know how u go
    JDM is Best

Member Array
    Car:
    Well thanks for all the advice guys, i got my neighbor over to help he was a panelbeater for 40 years so he knew exactly what i was talking about and how to approach fixing it, we have tried everything including a professional grade impact gun with grabtite fluid which didn't work so we have cut 2 small holes in the boot floor, and also taken out the fuel tank, so we can get a blowtorch in there and heat the shit out of it. Then going to use a welder and resecure the nut I managed to break the weld on. Fingers crossed!!

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1>DC2R+CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by rubixcube View Post
    Well thanks for all the advice guys, i got my neighbor over to help he was a panelbeater for 40 years so he knew exactly what i was talking about and how to approach fixing it, we have tried everything including a professional grade impact gun with grabtite fluid which didn't work so we have cut 2 small holes in the boot floor, and also taken out the fuel tank, so we can get a blowtorch in there and heat the shit out of it. Then going to use a welder and resecure the nut I managed to break the weld on. Fingers crossed!!
    are u trying to get a rounded off nut off ?? because if u are...lol... your going to a bit to much trouble lol
    JDM is Best

Member Array
    Car:
    more than just simple ruined bolts, both bolts are seized in there the worst i have ever seen in my life, and since i broke the welds on the encapsulated nut behind one of them, which the bolt also seems to be cross threaded, we didnt have much choice but to go to extra trouble lol.