13 54.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    2010 cu2 euro

federal tyres 595 evo or Falken 452

Hi,

Trying to decide which one of the above to go. about the same price for both. Tyre size is 205/40r17

175 for both.

thanks
    Last edited by blabla; 28-08-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    2010 cu2 euro
    Anyone used either of these tyres

how much?

Member Array
    Car:
    CRX Del Sol
    go with federals

Member Array
    Car:
    2010 cu2 euro
    175 for both.

falkens are made in japan
    federal is made in taiwan that i read from reviews

paid 150 for falken 452 in 225/40/18

Member Array
    Car:
    2010 cu2 euro
    Quote Originally Posted by i-vtec View Post
    falkens are made in japan
    federal is made in taiwan that i read from reviews

paid 150 for falken 452 in 225/40/18
    And where from? Did they have to order then in?

Member Array
    Car:
    2010 cu2 euro
    Most of the places which are cheap state that they need to order them in which sounds sus to me.

Member Array
    Car:
    2010 cu2 euro
    595 is different to 595 evo.

Member Array
    Car:
    2010 cu2 euro
    Quote Originally Posted by DC2-PWR View Post
    $150 for 18inch Falken 452 is cheaper than its own cost price from Falken. Unless its a get-rid off sale or something like that

However, +1 for Federal 595's
    If your saying that it means its a parallel import. Not keen on parallel imported. I have put up a thread about legitimate tyres and parallel imported tyres.

Member Array
    Car:
    2010 cu2 euro
    Quote Originally Posted by DC2-PWR View Post
    lol like i said in my previous post, 595's evo hence title thread.

but keen to hear on parallel import, wtf is that lol? Are they tyres from another country? Or replica 595evo?
    This is from an old thread which was on here before. As per user JohnL.

It might suggest that the tyre may not have been imported through the usual manufacturer /importer / dealer chain, and may have come from an unknown stock source in an unkown country (many tyres get shipped this way and that around the world in wierd ways, and in some ways are commodity almost comparable to a form of currency...).

If so then this might mean that the tyre could possibly be a tyre originally manufactured for sale in a market where they drive on the right hand side of the road rather than the left hand side as we do in Oz.

"So what" I hear you ask, well my understanding is that when tyres are made the steel belts are laid up in a particular manner depending on whether the intended market for that particular tyre drives on the left or the right hand side of the road.

This is because the the manner in which the steel belts are laid up in the tyre casing creates what is called 'bias steer' in the tyre, which is related to the steel belts having a diagonal 'grain' in each belt (to do with the way in which the steel threads are woven into a steel 'fabric').

In manufacture there are two steel belts laid up in the mould so that the 'grains' in each belt are crossed over on the opposite diagonal axis. This assists in equalising the way each belt's 'grain' affects the directionality of the tyre, minimising a tendency for the tyre to 'pull' (steer / veer) in one direction because of the diagonal 'grain' of the steel belts (if both belt 'grains' were on the same diagonal or there were only one belt then the tyre would 'pull' more strongly in one direction).

In effect each steel belt cancels out the other's tendency to cause the tyre to steer in one direction, but, the belt closest to the road (or furthest from the road, can't recall) has slightly more affect on bias steer than the other belt does. This means that the tyre will still have a slight tendency to pull in one direction, and this particular problem cannot be changed by swapping the tyre from one side of the car to the other, nor by flipping the tyre on the rim. No matter how the tyre is mounted to the wheel or the wheel to the car the tyre will always tend to pull in the same direction (unlike 'conicity', another tyre problem that causes steering pull, but that does change pull direction when we turn the tyre around).

All is not lost. The tyre manufacturers often use this as a means to counteract the tendendcy for a car to veer toward the side of the road because of road crown (the degree to which the road slants off toward the side to allow water run off). So, they sell tyres into left side driving markets that have a slight tendency to pull to the right, and vice versa for a right side driving market.

So the upshot is that if you have a tyre that was made for and intended to be sold in (e.g.) the North American Market but are using it in Australia, then the road crown will be tending to cause a predominant pull to the left (much of the time), and the tyres will also be generating some degree of left pull.

These two left pull problems will add together possibly causing a significantly irritating tendedncy to pull left much of the time (which will also advgersely affect tyre wear and steering feel). However, if you have a tyre manufactured for a market that drives on the left side of the road (i.e. the 'correct' tyre for our market), then there will be a left pull (road crown) and a right pull (bias steer) in some degree cancelling each other out (much of the time)

Adding these links too.
    http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...rticleID=52046

http://cornwalls.com.au/sharing-know...%E2%80%99.aspx
    Last edited by blabla; 30-08-2011 at 07:51 PM.

I have no issues using grey import tyres because I know what I'm looking for in the tyre..Phhhffttt to "made for australian conditions" - I reckon that half the time, thats what the major importers use to scare ppl into buying their stock. So far, the tyres I get which are grey imports have always been newer than dealer's tyres. Just look at the date of manufacture.

However, on this thread - I've never liked Falken tyres for some reason...
    Last edited by e240; 30-08-2011 at 08:10 PM.
    MFactory Competition Products