Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's

DIY tappet adjustment

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: To Adjust Valve clearances on Honda Engines
    Required:
    10mm ring spanner
    flat blade screw driver
    3\8 ratchet
    3\8 bar
    10mm 3\8 socket
    17mm 1\2" socket
    1\2" braker bar
    1\2" bar
    spark plug socket ( optional )
    Ultra Grey
    feeler gauge
    touque wrench
    some mechanical knowledge

just some advice before we get started

if you dont understand what I have written below. DONT TRY THIS
    if you dont have the correct tools DONT TRY THIS
    if you dont have the correct specs for your valve clearences DONT TRY THIS
    if you dont read the entire post, and dont know how to adjust tappets DONT TRY THIS
    if your not confident DONT TRY THIS
    if your engine is not stone cold DONT TRY THIS

Make sure you have the correct valve clearences specs for your engine. pay special not to the difference in the inlet and exhaust clearances, dont mix them up.

your engine MUST be Cold

STEP 1

remove the rocca cover by undoing the 5 bolts shown above in red. unplug the leads and PVC tube, shown in green. (optional) undo the spark plugs, help when you turn the engine round

STEP 2

remove the cambelt cover, undo the two 10mm bolts shown in red, remove cambelt top cover

STEP 3

put a 17mm socket on a long 1\2" bar and connect it to a breaker bar and place it on the harmonic balancer bolt. ( you can go through the cover, you dont need to remove it like I did ) you can jack up the front of the car if you want and remove the wheel, make sure you use jack stands. But you can do this with the car on the ground and turn the wheel full lock to the left.

Step 4

turn the engine over from the breaker bar counter clockwise till you see the UP on the cam sprocket pointing up and use the markings on the harmonic balancer and cover to line up #1 cyl TDC. Note the position of the cam sprocket, you will see the markings on the sprocket will line up with the flat surface of the head. see yellow boxes above.

STEP 5

CYL # 1 is TDC ( top dead center ) red section, you can grab the top of the tappet and lift up/down to confirm, it should move up/down slightly.

place the correct feeler gauge for your engine specs between the valve and tappet.

- push/pull a few times to get the feal of the clearance.
    - it should feal snug, not to tight and not to loose.
    - if its tight back it off, if its loose, tighten it up to do so

- place a 10mm ring spanner, feeler gauge, and flat blade screw driver on the exhaust tappet. see below picture

crack the 10mm nut to loosen it, only enough to be able to tuen the screw. turn your screwdriver counter clockwise to loosen the valve clearance, turn it clock wise to tighten the valve clearance.

Make an adjustment and hold your screw driver firm so it wont move, and nip up (not tight but tight enough to stop everything from moving ) the 10mm nut.check your clearance, do this repetivly until you have reached the desierd clearance. you may go to tight or not enough, may take 10 attempts, but as you get better at it you get it in 3 or less. When you got your final clearance put your spanner on the nut and screw driver on the screw. hold the screw driver firm and tighten the nut. do not over tighten as you will snap it. to not leave it loose as you will cause all sorts of problems. then check 1 last time the valve clearance then move to the next exhaust valve. do the same as above.

see this example video

then do the inlet tappets ( note they will have different clearances )

I always check the 4 tappet nuts and for that cylinder to ensure there tight then 1 final check of the valve clearance then move on to the next cylinder.

turn the crank shaft 180 degrees counter clockwise
    the cam sprocket should line up like this ( look for the markings on the sprocket )

- you must now adjust cylinder # 3 ( green box ) inlet and exhaust
    - turn the crank shaft 180 degrees counter clockwise hamonic balancer should be on TDC mark, this makes Cylinder 4 TDC
    - you must now adjust cylinder # 4 ( blue box ) inlet and exhaust
    - turn the crank shaft 180 degrees counter clockwise
    the cam sprocket should line up like it did for Cyl # 3 in photo above ( look for the markings on the sprocket )
    - you must now adjust cylinder # 2 ( yellow box ) inlet and exhaust

thats if for the tappets. now put it all back together.

- put the top cam cover back on and tighten the 2 bolts.
    - clean the head surface where the rocca cover gasket will sit
    - clean the rocca cover gasket on the rocca cover
    - apply ultra grey to the gasket as shown below in the yellow boxes

- refit your rocca cover, torque it down to manufactuters specs. tighten bolts in a criss cross pattern.

tighten up spark plugs if you loosend them.

DO NOT forget to remove your socket/breaker bar from the harmonic balancer, I have seen mechanics forget this there and start the engine. the bar goes round and round and rips the fron gaurd open like a can of sardines

I welcome any questions positive or negative feedback any pointers of anything I may have left out. ( this makes sense to me, but yall may not understand it )

also you may note I removed a few extra parts than nessesary as I also did a timing belt on tis thing

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own
    Last edited by ECU-MAN; 06-05-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Banned Array
    Car:
    Gen3 CRX
    nice work master!

here's the workshop manual version for those interested

http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/CivicManual/pdf/6-14.pdf

Enjoy

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Nice write up John!

Just a Question about bringing the next cylinder to TDC. In the post that ProECU made, it says turn the crank pulley 180 degrees (or cam pulley 90 degrees) ?
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Car:
    twin GX160's
    yep your right I messed up

EDITED

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN
    yep your right I messed up

EDITED
    hehe sorry to be a pain john.......but it says crank 90 degrees where as it should mean crank 180 degrees or cam pulley 90 degrees ?

Car:
    twin GX160's
    yes your right cam 90 crank 180

I ll fix again

ps I failed Maths.

disclaimers are my freind
    Last edited by ECU-MAN; 13-02-2005 at 09:52 PM.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN
    yes your right cam 90 crank 180

I ll fix again

ps I failed Maths.

disclaimers are my freind
    hehe all good......just as long as we are keeping each other in check!

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Just uploaded that Tappet Vid to the Ozhonda server and updated your link John

noob here; can i ask wat the purpose of this DIY is?

Car:
    twin GX160's
    tappet adjustment

should be done every 20 000kms on hondas
    Last edited by ECU-MAN; 14-09-2005 at 11:44 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    how much does cam timing go off without tappets adjustment

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s
    Nice write up! i used to to my own tappet adjustment on my old mini but I think i'll pass on my honda..i dont want to break it lol.

Who wants to adjust my tappets for me?