Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    i did this over the weekend on my teg....was quite easy actually! and the noise has totally gone! car exhaust note sound better too!

jsut wondering though, what is the right amound of drag to have on the feeler gauge to gauge that its tight?

when i did it i made sure it was tight enough to grab fairly hard on the feeler gauge so that it needed some force to pull out/.

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    i think that's a bit too hard.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    this was not for the lower setting but the middle

say intake for my car is 0.003-0.005" so i did it to 0.004 tight

and checked so that 0.003 still slid in easily.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    sounds good,

I aim to make the guage slide out with a bit of resistance, but not to much.

Quote Originally Posted by mj3610
    the reason some might say this is because if your head gaskets have gone hard then they might need changing as well because u took the cover off.
    Come again now??

Member Array
    Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDCORE
    Come again now??
    im no mechanical engineer but as far as i've been told, when you take the rocker cover off if your gaskets have hardened then its risky to put the cover back on without changing the gaskets cause it might start leaking. heat has bonded it together from before and when its hard and u take it off then it wont bond anymore, someone with abit more knowledge care to elaborate? i've asked 2 diff mechanics and they've both said the same thing.
    i only know this cause i asked the mechanic to do a tappet adjustment and he told me dont need to do it if its not noisy, due to the above reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by riceball View Post
    ballers like barefootbonzai can afford to spend money on his car and save for a future...

You mentioned headgasket before..... your getting confused between a rocker cover gasket and a headgasket.

Headgasket you don't need to change for a tappet/valve lash adjustment as the head does not come off to do this. The rocker cover gasket may need to be replaced dependant on the condition.

Member Array
    Car:
    EF Si
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbo
    **** i've never done mine. Is it the same for B series engine?
    not 100% sure, but ECU-MAN your write up was for a SOHC motor, i believe it's done differently with DOHC motors.

SOHC adjustment – you check lash between bottom of adjusting screw and top of valve.
    DOHC adjustment - you check lash between rocker arm and camshaft lobe.

Car:
    twin GX160's
    yes soem engines you check it at the camshaft and other engines at the valve.

its pretty obvious when you loook at them where you adjust it so I never pay attention to where it is.

also the specs tell you where just in case.

Nice work john ,

all the info's which u r gaven r very clear ,

l just done the tappet adjustment last Saturday........

This DIY article really save my buckz....

Thank you john
    Yo~~! Vtec go ! go ! go !

Check this :

Garage Sales ( Brand New items ) For sale : http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83889

Car:
    twin GX160's
    no probs dude,

glad it helped

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CRX
    my engine's been loud for so many months! nobody told me I need to do a tappet adjustment until a few days ago I did some research and found out that if I adjust the clearance of my valves it should be more quite. then again if I don't my engine will f*ck up. Anyway I'm preparing all my tools to do this so I'm just checking on the manual 91 crx clearance is:

Intake feeler gauge specs: .006-.007 in
    Exhaust feeler gauge specs: .007-.008 in

is this the same for b16?

and what is that thing about the harmonic balancer bolt, is it necessary for DOHC?