Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209

Replacing Engine mounts on B16a

After a bit of googling and searching this forum, I am yet find a guide for replacing engine mounts.

Is it a dooble DIY? I prefer to do things myself if I can.

Thanks in advance

Mike
    くまくま━━━━━━ヽ( ・(ェ)・ )ノ━━━━━━ !!

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikecivic78 View Post
    After a bit of googling and searching this forum, I am yet find a guide for replacing engine mounts.

Is it a dooble DIY? I prefer to do things myself if I can.

Thanks in advance

Mike
    Is it for your Em1? if so i have a service manual you can down load which should have the info in it. The rear one is the hardest to get to but once you have done it once its alot easier. If your competent with mechanics then its very doable, i have taken mine off my ek and it was easy just took some time.
    "I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    Quote Originally Posted by TbM View Post
    Is it for your Em1? if so i have a service manual you can down load which should have the info in it. The rear one is the hardest to get to but once you have done it once its alot easier. If your competent with mechanics then its very doable, i have taken mine off my ek and it was easy just took some time.
    Thanks bro, it's actually the rear one that's really gone, hence it's time to overhaul them.

I used to have an EJ/EK genuine Honda manual which I donwnloaded like 4 years ago, but I seem to have lost it. If u got a link that would be great!

btw, i like the sig, i saw Senna in the cinemas 2 weeks ago, I remember that quote. Classic! Prost was a conservative and consistent driver. He did very well. But Senna was all about pushing the boundaries. I admire them both tho'.

And yes, I've heard it's doeable for the backyard DIY, but can be time consuming. I if i can, I always try to go the old DIY. The main obstacle for the DIYer is lack of tools really.
    Last edited by Mikecivic78; 02-09-2011 at 11:11 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Ok ill try n pm you the link but im at work on my phone so may have trouble copying the link, if i cant do it now ill pm it through when i finish around 5-6 am, if you have any questions feel free to pm me and ill try n talk you through it if you get stuck on something It took me about 1-2 hours to remove the mounts as it was my first time so i went slow and i just used a good socket set and a jack with a wood block iirc.

The senna movie was good have you seen the other docos about him too? some of the driving he did was just unbelieveable, expecialy in the rain, i think there is a video of him at donnigton in the rain just making a fool of the rest of the field on the first lap lol. Prost was good and a very calculating driver but prefer senna, he pushed the limits of his car and himself more than any other driver ive seen. Seeing his telemetry compared to other drivers is an eye opener too

Another quote for you
    "When you are fitted in a racing car and you race to win, second or third place is not enough." Ayrton Senna

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    Used this when doing it on the EK

http://www.ek9.org/forum/resource-ar...ine-mount.html

Should be the same for eg.

Tip do not be gentle with the heater hoses bend, push, pull, squeeze the hell out of them until you can wiggle whe rear mount out.

Helps to have impact wrench with at least 300nm of torque the 19mm bolts were not removable by hand
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Quote Originally Posted by EG52NV View Post
    19mm bolts were not removable by hand
    lol you dont need an impact wrench, just a socket set that has a breaker bar thats how i did mine

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    lol you dont need an impact wrench, just a socket set that has a breaker bar thats how i did mine
    Lol you obviously have no idea how tight the 19mm bolts were on my car! No human could undo them without wrecking the breaker bar first! After we snapped 1 breaker bar we decided it was time to borrow some air tools..
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Quote Originally Posted by EG52NV View Post
    Lol you obviously have no idea how tight the 19mm bolts were on my car! No human could undo them without wrecking the breaker bar first! After we snapped 1 breaker bar we decided it was time to borrow some air tools..
    Who said anything about me being human... I didnt realise you meant your bolts in your car sorry, i thought you meant it wasnt possible to do the 19mm bolts by hand on any car which is not true. if the bolts stuck/rusted you might need to use a power tool but i always get away with a breaker bar and extra leverage if needed, worst cases i have been known to hit the braker bar with a hammer to loosen the bolt.

Member Array
    Car:
    MK6 Golf GTI
    Who said anything about me being human... I didnt realise you meant your bolts in your car sorry, i thought you meant it wasnt possible to do the 19mm bolts by hand on any car which is not true. if the bolts stuck/rusted you might need to use a power tool but i always get away with a breaker bar and extra leverage if needed, worst cases i have been known to hit the braker bar with a hammer to loosen the bolt.
    half inch drive long breaker bar....if all fails buy a metal tube cut it and put it over the breaker bar for extra leverage!
    and wd-40 makes everything easier too!
    thats what i did when doing my b18b integra.
    Welcome Abourd

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    Quote Originally Posted by integragsi96 View Post
    half inch drive long breaker bar....if all fails buy a metal tube cut it and put it over the breaker bar for extra leverage!
    and wd-40 makes everything easier too!
    thats what i did when doing my b18b integra.
    Metal tube is useless if car is only raised on jack stands there no room to leverage it...
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    Alright, it's been decided, I'm gonna do the DIY in the couple of months.

I plan to buy a breaker bar with one of those 1/2 inch drive swivel heads.

I'm gonna bleed and grunt my way until it's done. Not gonna pay someone that's 4 sure.

just a couple of Qs:

1. Is it prudent to do all of the mounts, or just the ones that are gone?
    2. Any other potential problems that I should know about?
    Last edited by Mikecivic78; 07-09-2011 at 01:36 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Nice one mate good to hear By swivel head i assume you mean a uni joint? I also used a couple different lengthed 1/2 inch extensions while i did mine so might help if you have some of them handy.

If you have bought a whole set of mounts id just replace them all at once, no point buying new parts and not using them i recon.