Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by dee-y View Post
    Great info Fred.

On a side note, how often do you guys change your ATF?
    Up till my 100k service followed the logbook.
    - then I realized oh shit...

So I had a ATF change every service for the last 3 services (110k, 120k, 130k) and I plan to do 6mthly ATF changes 3 times to get the Honda OEM fluids out of the system.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    05 CL9
    What ATF did Hondacare use?
    Comment, rate my beats!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/deewhy88

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    what atf did hondacare use?
    atf z1
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    07' CL9 Lux 5AT
    Great info Fred.

On a side note, how often do you guys change your ATF?
    I drained and refilled twice at 75k with Redline D4 - the original fluid was very discoloured (brown) at this stage and I wish I'd done it earlier. Planning a third drain and refill when I hit 80k, then I might just do it every other service or so, given the fact that the stuff isn't exactly cheap!

Also, you only get 3 quarts (2.8L) out each time you drain it, whilst the entire system takes 6.9 quarts (6.5L). This means that after 1 drain, you only have 43% new fluid. You'll need 2 drains for 68% new fluid, 3 drains for 82% new fluid, and 4 drains for 90% new fluid. Be sure to run the car up to speed (i.e. through all the gears then to the point of torque converter lockup) in between drains if you're planning on draining the fluid more than once. This ensures that the new fluid is mixed in properly, otherwise you're just draining fresh fluid!

•CRX• represent Array
    Car:
    CRX+CBR250RR
    guys u got any info on doing the actual changing of the auto trans fluid?

Thanks for sharing this information. I will do alot of km on the new Euro as its a company car. I usually change cars at 2-3 year interval which is good timing because my parents need another car, so I might purchase the Euro when the lease finishes and give them a Euro at a discounted price, knowing that I put the best fluids from the start.

I'll investigate changing to a better tranny fluid such as Amsoil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Ovw-Kij_M
    Last edited by BigBen; 04-03-2012 at 09:38 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    07' CL9 Lux 5AT
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop_gee View Post
    guys u got any info on doing the actual changing of the auto trans fluid?
    Pretty straight forward - on CL9, jack both sides up, and remove the cover that sits under the engine bay (undo clips and screws). Probably the best time to get a breaker bar to crack the drain bolt loose as well, as clearance is limited once you lower the car. Drain bolt is 3/8" square drive.

Lower the car back onto the ground / level surface, and drain out old ATF. Refill via dipstick hole using funnel - approx 3 quarts or 2.8L. Check levels via dipstick.

Quote Originally Posted by jono_l View Post
    Pretty straight forward - on CL9, jack both sides up, and remove the cover that sits under the engine bay (undo clips and screws). Probably the best time to get a breaker bar to crack the drain bolt loose as well, as clearance is limited once you lower the car. Drain bolt is 3/8" square drive.

Lower the car back onto the ground / level surface, and drain out old ATF. Refill via dipstick hole using funnel - approx 3 quarts or 2.8L. Check levels via dipstick.
    So you are only dropping the oil that is in the tranny pan, what about the oil in the torque converter? Looking at the specs the tranny holds 6.2 litres of trans fluid.

You might need to do a few fluid flushes to get all 6.2 litres out and replace with new fluid.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBen View Post
    So you are only dropping the oil that is in the tranny pan, what about the oil in the torque converter? Looking at the specs the tranny holds 6.2 litres of trans fluid.

You might need to do a few fluid flushes to get all 6.2 litres out and replace with new fluid.

You need 4+ flushes to get 90% new fluid.

2 flushes will get you 60odd percent, I'd do 2x flushes per service over 2 services.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    This is very interesting. Thanks Fred. Just wondering though, does this flush thing apply to all auto gear boxes or just this specific design. This gearbox is only found in the newer honda correct?

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    "hondamatic" design had been around since 1970's, it got invented because Honda was too tight arsed to pay for the plantery design patent.
    So nah, it's been around forever

About flushing, pretty much all auto tranny needs flushing similarly there are various methods of doing it among different trannies, but in essence they are the same.
    Last edited by Fredoops; 04-03-2012 at 04:39 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Lolz, was a bit worried, then remembered the amount of power and torque the 98's v6 made. Shouldn't be a problem then.