Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries

B&M Short shifter - Install and Review!

The following review is purely of my own view

I'd firstly like to thank Trav (egsi) of Underground Imports for sending me this shifter in super quick time (and also for his funny comments on the packaging).

Getting to the point, the shifter does reduce the shift throw significantly and also the gear knob sits around 3-4cms lower than with the stock shifter. The shift throw (as measured) reduced from around 9.5cm to 7cm (1st to 2nd; 3rd to 4th etc). That is a reduction of up to 26 per cent over stock.

Shifting is much more direct (although harder) most possibly also due to the fact that the old bushing were replaced with new items provided with the kit and the throw is significantly smaller. Any less and changing gears would require too much force. Even as it is, it will take me a bit of time to gather up the courage to shift with a bit more force

So that is basically it, the shifter has reduced the throw substantially as expected with a much more direct feel. The instructions provided with the kit were pretty easy to follow after a bit of reading, but I though i'd post up some pics and write my own little guide (which can be used for any shifter pretty much).

My only concern was the fact that the B&M shifter does not have a bend in the shifter which keeps the gearknob sitting closer to the driver. With the new B&M shifter, the gearknob now sits a bit too far forward for my liking. Note the bend in the stock shifter half way up?

So here's how to install the B&M short shifter..........
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: Install the B&M short throw shifter
    Tools Required:
    12mm socket
    10mm socket
    12mm spanner
    1x extention for socket
    Jack and jackstands (essential!)

Steps:
    1. Jumpt into your car and undo the gearknob.

2. Jack up the front of the car and support it entirely by two jack stands (no need to jack up the rear)

3. With the car fully supported by jackstands, undo the 12mm bolt/nut combination at he base of the shifter. Move the shift linkage out of the way once the bolt is out.

4. Using a 12mm socket and small extension, remove the two bolts holding the stabiliser bar to the car body under the shifter (blue bolts in above pic).

5. Using the same 12mm socket and extension, undo the end of the the stabiliser linkage that bolts up to the transmission (NOTE: Only one end will turn as the other end is a nut which is welded to the frame. You can't see the head of the bolt in the pic below)

6. Using your fingers, roll the shift lever dust cover off upwards(pic below)). You can now remove the shifter and stabiliser bar together as a single piece.

7. Seperate the shifter from the stabiliser bar by removing the two 10mm nuts holding it in place

8. Remove the rear joint collar from the base of the shifter by pushing it out.

9. Carefully slide the shift lever dust seal off from the base of the shifter and also take out the shift lever ball seat (see the piece of plastic in the above image).

10. Clean/lubricate the ball seat and put the dust seal and ball seat on your new B&M short shifter

11. Attach the shift lever and ball joint seat/dust cover to the stabiliser linkage using the two 10mm bolts that were removed previously.

12. Feed the shift lever through the dust cover attached to the car body (making sure not to damage it) and roll the dust cover over the stabiliser bar / shifter base

13. Connect the end of the stabiliser bar to the transmission and do up the 12mm bolt.

14. Replace the bushing at the base of the shifter and do up the 12mm nut/bolt combo (Note the new orange bushings in the pic below).

That's it......all done!

My gearknob now sits lower too

Last edited by wynode; 13-02-2005 at 10:56 PM.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    looks good dude

Just like going for a walk on a cold sunday morning while naked...

a shorter shaft...but still an ugly knob rofl.

lol anyway - very good writeup !!!
    Methinks its time to rid of the truck shifter from the SI too

TRAVDM Array
    Car:
    Lots of Hondas
    nice write up win, im glad u got it ok, we had such a good conversation on friday lol.
    oh wrd!

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the comments!

Ben: You must have been V tired when you wrote that!

Member Array
    Car:
    was a DC4...
    wynode, not too sure how much driving you've done in the past couple of days

but i was considering getting one for my teg
    do u crunch gears or anything with the short shifter?
    i've heard rumours that short shifters eventually kill your synchros :S

recovering.... Array
    Car:
    Nicole
    how far away do they sit from the normal gear position?

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EG_2_TEG
    wynode, not too sure how much driving you've done in the past couple of days

but i was considering getting one for my teg
    do u crunch gears or anything with the short shifter?
    i've heard rumours that short shifters eventually kill your synchros :S
    I have only had it for a few days and haven't driven it as hard as I normally do till I get used to it. That said, I haven't crunched gears at all yet (only found it hard to get into 2nd and sometimes 3rd......but now its ok that I figured out I have to shift slightly differently)

Thing is, there is much more chance of getting the wrong gear now, and that fact that it requires more force makes things a bit more riskier!

As for the synchros comment, I think this all depends on how you shift......as long as you don't use excessive force (I just just enough force to get it in gear) it is all good.

Quote Originally Posted by |N|
    how far away do they sit from the normal gear position?
    Put it this way.......when I'm in neutral now, it feels like when I used to be in 3rd. But this is also due to the fact that the shifter sits lower than before.

Member Array
    Car:
    was a DC4...
    cheers win

although i think this has put me off from gettin one
    cos my 2nd gear sometimes (rarely) crunches
    so with a shirt shifter, i reckon i'll probably blow up my gearbox

TRAVDM Array
    Car:
    Lots of Hondas
    Quote Originally Posted by EG_2_TEG
    cheers win

although i think this has put me off from gettin one
    cos my 2nd gear sometimes (rarely) crunches
    so with a shirt shifter, i reckon i'll probably blow up my gearbox
    i have one mate, and it seems that way but u get used to it, its like gettin into a car u have never driven before, u will ride the clutch, maybe stall it but u will get used to it.

win is over exagerating lol
    oh wrd!

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by egSi
    i have one mate, and it seems that way but u get used to it, its like gettin into a car u have never driven before, u will ride the clutch, maybe stall it but u will get used to it.

win is over exagerating lol
    LOL I didn't realise I was making such a deal.

Just so you know, this is all to do with the lever action. Have a longer lever, and you require less force but more movement. Use a shorter lever and you need more force with less movement.

So, at the other end of the shifter (the shift linkages) they still connect to the gearbox in the same way, the only difference is the effort required by you. So as you don't use excessive force when shifting you will be ok (and WON'T blow up your gearbox!)

There happy Trav?