Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Power Steering Pump - very loud whining noise

Hi all,

My 2006 Standard Accord Euro was identified with a leaking power steering hose around 5 months ago. That hose was replaced under the Honda recall about 3months ago. During last 2 months of driving, there has been no major issues. I have however, always felt that the steering wheel was heavy, but kind of just ignored it.

Yesterday, while driving on highway, a really really loud whining noise emerged from the car. When i had a safe place to test it, the whining noise was coming from the power steering pump (next to the pulley belts). The whining noise is there whenever i step on the gas. It is alot worse when i turn the steering wheel.

I paid a mechanic to examine the issue. The mechanic diagnosed it as a common issue with the power steering pump.

As an immediate short term fix - he flushed the PSF and added new PSF, and also added some kind of LubeGard (sorry i'm not techincal), that he says will remove the noise.

As a permanent fix - he suggested that the long term leaking PS hose may have lead to the current poor state of the PS pump. He says the PS pump may be on its way out unfortunately, and it would be very pricey to replace it. He left that decision with me.

So right now, i'm left with a car that "whines" alot less (but still whines sometimes). The steering wheel has become ALOT heavier than before. What should i do ? Do i take the bullet and get the PS pump ? Realistically what is the total cost of having it replaced, and is that going to be the end of my problems ?
    Last edited by lovenoodles; 12-09-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    05 EURO CL9
    take it back to the honda dealer where you got the recall done! get them to check it out, maybe they ****ed something in the process but idk.
    OH WERD?!!

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Nope, loss of pressure over any given period of time WILL kill the pump.

God be VERY lucky if Honda replaces it for you, they probably won't.

You might wanna jump online to see how much a replacement would cost..
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

i just called Honda dealer (Larke Hoskins) where the car was purchased from, and apparently the car is still within Extended Warranty (it expires in December 2011).

The problem now is, because the mechanic has added in this LubeGard (as a short term solution), it has significantly reduced the "whining" noise, to the point that it only sometimes appears. The wheel though is still heavy. Btw, this was the LubeGard that was added - http://www.lubegard.com/pdfs/PowerSteeringFluid_PS.pdf - the one on the first page

I have booked an appointment to take the car into dealership for warranty on 22nd September. How can i reverse the effect of the LubeGard and make the whining more obvious again ?

Essentially i don't want to show up with my car on the 22nd Sept at the dealership, only for them to say "oh noise is not obvious, go home".

And how can i establish my case to maximise my chances of getting a new Power Steering Pump ?

Please help, i'm inexperienced. I know dealers can be very dodgy and will do all they can to weasel their way out of a warranty claim, if they can help it.
    Last edited by lovenoodles; 12-09-2011 at 04:41 PM.

anyone with any helpful advice ?

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Flush the system with new PSF without the lube guard.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    Flush the system with new PSF without the lube guard.
    which PSF should i use ? sorry i've never done a flush myself.

Member Array
    Car:
    07 Accord Euro Luxury 6MT
    I would stick with Honda PSF.

- HZ

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by lovenoodles View Post
    which PSF should i use ? sorry i've never done a flush myself.
    Honda power steering fluid.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Euro Lux
    hey guys, don't mean to hijack the thread but i'm getting the whining noise too and pretty sure it's the power steering pump. i get whining, howling noises from 60km/hr+
    It started ever since i got the recall and had the hose replaced, drove the next couple of days and started noticing the noise then checked and saw the fluid was low so i think they just drained it and didn't top up so i have a damaged pump does that mean the only way of fixing this would be to get a new pump? would new seals do anything?
    Mods: Pioneer Double DIN GPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Buddyclub N+ Spec, Topspeed Headers, Skunk2 Catback Exhaust

Member Array
    Car:
    07 Accord Euro Luxury 6MT
    Take it straight back to the dealer that did the recall replacement, they should sort it out for you.

The fluid also lubricates the pump, so depending how much you drove the car with low fluid, the damage might be minimal, there might just be damage to o-rings and seals, or more fatal damage may have occurred to moving parts which will mean the pump has to be replaced.

I'm about to take mine back to have the PS hose recall - Mental note to double check the PS fluid before driving it away...

- HZ

I got some sort of minor whining when I turn the steering and reverse park into my garage. I think someone posted a video clip of it before. Same with the old hose, still same with the new hose.