Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    honda civic eg

DIY sexy wheels :D

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

hey guys my first write up , so please don't hate . I've gone through a few sets of DIY spray can wheels that have turned out really nice, some didn't turn out so good (first sets) but it's all about practice makes perfect. Colors i've gone through matt black,gloss black, pearl white, emerald green, international orange, and sky blue.

Pretty much my aim is to save you money while giving you a refreshing looking to your wheels , to have some super sexy wheels . Spraying wheels can add a whole new look and feel to your car.

Now depending on what rim you want to spray and how you want to spray it , theres a few ways. If you have wheels with lip and you want to keep the silver lip then you can either a)tape up the lip or b)use a deck of cards (this writeup). If you don't care about the lip or don't have one and don't mind spraying over it then your fine. Also to make it easier if your rims are already off the tyre then thats even better (no over spray on tyre, but if you overspray it's fine) Okay so lets get started. I'll be doing my wheels gloss black with a polished lip.

TAKE WHEELS OFF THE CAR

30mm spacers

Things you'll need:
    • newspaper (few sheets) - i used 10
    • masking tape or deck or playing cards
    • soap , water , bucket, sponge
    • 1 x can degreaser (depending on how dirty your wheels are)
    • few dry rags (clean)
    • toothbrush (optional)
    • 2 x paint (choice of color) - try to get a better quality paint
    • 2 x can of primer (white or grey)
    • 1 x can of tyre shine (optional)
    • sunlight (try to get a sunny day for better result)

Preparation:
    1. Spray some degreaser on your rim to get all the muck off (leave on for 2 minutes, hose off)
    2. Get your bucket of soapy water , plop sponge in , and give your rims a nice scrub down to remove all the other dirt left behind (try to get your wheel as clean as possible)
    3. Get the rag and dry your wheel (try to dry as best you can , get rid of all water) - use sunlight to your advantage to help dry out the rim

Method:
    1.Lay newspaper on the area your spraying , lay rim onto newspaper (flat)

2.Either tape up the lip that you don't want to spray OR use a deck of playing cards and place them inside the lip , all around the rim (refer to picture) if using cards make sure you overlap them and don't leave any gaps

3.Shake up primer car, spray a light layer all over the rim (allow 3-5 minutes to dry)

4.Repeat above primer step 3-4 times (allow 3-5 minutes drying time for each layer) NOTE: spray evenly

5.Shake up your chosen color of paint can, spray a light nice even layer on the rim

6.copy above step (allowing 3-5 minutes to dry each layer) and do 3-4 layers

7.OPTIONAL: for a glossier look , spray a LIGHT layer of tyre shine over the last coat of paint (while its drying)

9.Remove cards from rim (resuse cards for next wheel) Set rim aside and let it dry in the sun (keep away from dust) , move onto next wheel

10.Copy step 1-9 for your other rims

If you over spray onto your tyre simply grab a little methylated spririts/kerosone on a rag and wipe it away (don't rub too hard).

BEFORE: (look closer to the lip paint fade)

AFTER:

NOTE: i got a bad camera guys ):

Also if you want your lip to look a bit more sparkley just give it clean when all the paint is dry , and use some light sandpaper to go over it while washing with soap and water at the same time. Finnish off with metal polish.

Thats pretty much it guys, hope this helps whoever wants to try it. In my experience the tyre shine before the last layer of paints sets really brings out the gloss. Feel free to comment .

Goodluck and have fun.
    Last edited by x3cindymichael; 21-09-2011 at 12:13 AM. Reason: updated pics
    world of sikaflex (:

Good job, may be easier for other members if you embed the photos

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...w-To-Post-Pics
    Last edited by Premature Vtec; 13-09-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    honda civic eg
    cheers man, will do later tonight when i get home
    world of sikaflex (:

Member Array
    Car:
    D15BSwappedEM1.
    just do this to each one of the links

[img]linkhere[/img]
    Originally Posted by charliebrown
    And whoever said my gsi is overpriced... you got NO idea mate. GSis go for 13k+

Member Array
    Car:
    honda civic eg
    Thanks for the advice guys . pics have been added in thumbnails . click to enlarge. enjoy
    world of sikaflex (:

Cool. I always thought that there's rocket science in lip polishing. Nice sharing man.

Member Array
    Car:
    honda civic eg
    haha nah not really , mine came out nice and sparkly but camera isn't that great. just a little soap and water to get the main dirt off and some wet sandpaper lightly , maybe another wash after sanding to get all the debris off , then metal polish
    world of sikaflex (:

Member Array
    Car:
    D15BSwappedEM1.
    sorry to bump but is it better to sand it down first then prime?
    Originally Posted by charliebrown
    And whoever said my gsi is overpriced... you got NO idea mate. GSis go for 13k+

Member Array
    Car:
    honda civic eg
    it's alright. but yeah it really depends on how bad your wheels are and how picky you are i guess. you can sand it down and prime if you want.. but i just see it as a waste of time, so i just put a few layers of primer and then the paint and always turns out well ( i scrub my wheels hard when washing too. no paint has ever come off) just make sure your primer sticks properly. i've done a few sets this way and no problem. but yes i've also done some sets where i sand first but thats usually when the wheel has light gutter rash etc . but in the end its all a matter of choice (:
    world of sikaflex (:

Member Array
    Car:
    03 DC5
    What are the downsides to doing it this way? Because the way you've done it actually looks really good and alot easier than having to sand/prime/sand/prime etc
    Makes me think of something like this but this just seems like a spray can paint job with no primer..

Member Array
    Car:
    honda civic eg
    there is no downside of doing it this way, do it whatever way you want. i'm just DIY'ing for fun and thought i'd share it
    world of sikaflex (:

Member Array
    Car:
    03 DC5
    I meant without sanding does the paint show any signs of cracking or chipping?