Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1988 Honda Accord

DC5 v TypeR- Acceleration, not speed.

Hi all.
    Wow its been years since ive been here. Last time I had a 3G accord...... 2005?
    Anyway, I made a huge mistake. I bought a non Honda (Hyundai i30 diesel), and now that its almost sold (paperwork on Monday), its back into a decent car :P

Ive pretty much decided on the DC5. And my options are thus.

120k km DC5 Base - $9.5k
    120k km DC5 Luxury - $10.5K
    155k km DC5 TypeR - $12k

Now, before the type R bandwagon leap on me, Yes. Im in love with the recaros, the lower stance, and the stock body kit. The extra power is tempting.

HOWEVER!
    I do not track my car. (the dream is there, the money is not)
    Running costs do bother me as I like to drive distance (I do use 95ron anywho)
    I'm 100% about acceleration. I do NOT speed.

I WONT be breaching 120kmph interstate
    I WILL be accelerating off the lights and out of on-road corners. (unlikely LSD needed speeds)

What I wondered, was, how the models compare to each other in acceleration. Not top speed?

How about with a reflash?
    http://www.hondata.com/reflash_rsx_base.html
    On paper, the base with a reflash should be faster until 'vtec kicks in yo', correct?

Even without the reflash, the base has more torque sooner.

Oppinions?

Scythe.

if you can get a dc5r for 12k i'd jump on it

seriously that is a bargain

but if you want acceleration go turbo

Member Array
    Car:
    D15BSwappedEM1.
    Quote Originally Posted by l__i__l View Post
    if you can get a dc5r for 12k i'd jump on it

seriously that is a bargain

but if you want acceleration go turbo
    but then again that Type R might be trashed compared to the base model. 12K is way too cheap for a Type R.
    Honestly if you dont care about the stuff you mentioned then id go with the base model. Recaros, yes is comfortable but now and then i prefer normal non bucket seats over it.
    Also i think the suspension in the Type R is more stiff than base model? Not too sure on that one though.
    Originally Posted by charliebrown
    And whoever said my gsi is overpriced... you got NO idea mate. GSis go for 13k+

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S15
    My friend has a DC5 luxury or a base model cant recall. His happy with it. Automatic and does its job. He drives 30km to work in Sydney. His happy cause his content with it being a nugget and for that purpose only, he knows pretty much anything on the road would chop him.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1988 Honda Accord
    With those KM's thats not cheap for a typeR
    Ive seen 4 go through various sites for that price in the last 6 months, its about right, certainly not expensive.

Has anyone here raced a DC5 and a DC5r off the lights?
    Is my suspicion right that the type R wouldnt start leading significantly (or may even lose a little) untill you breached, say, 70kmph?

The paper says that I'm correct, the only thing I havent factored in is gear ratios.

Looking at facts:

DC5r (if optioned with AC etc) and a DC5 are the same weight.

Untill VTEC kicks in, the engines are identical (same CC, same cam ratios i believe, both 16v 2L)

And if the Base is flashed, its actually BETTER below vtec cams engaging on the DC5r

If im honest with myself. I want the typeR.
    But Gear changing in the city can be tiring, and they're closer ratio.
    It also requires 95+ (so 98 really), so running it more expensive.
    It has potential gear2 and 3 issues.....
    BUT ITS JUST SO ****ING NICE!

Reality is though, if street performance is only minorly different, then why would i spend the extra? I wont be tracking I dont think.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Master_Scythe View Post
    With those KM's thats not cheap for a typeR
    Ive seen 4 go through various sites for that price in the last 6 months, its about right, certainly not expensive.

Has anyone here raced a DC5 and a DC5r off the lights?
    Is my suspicion right that the type R wouldnt start leading significantly (or may even lose a little) untill you breached, say, 70kmph?

The paper says that I'm correct, the only thing I havent factored in is gear ratios.

Looking at facts:

DC5r (if optioned with AC etc) and a DC5 are the same weight.

Untill VTEC kicks in, the engines are identical (same CC, same cam ratios i believe, both 16v 2L)

And if the Base is flashed, its actually BETTER below vtec cams engaging on the DC5r

If im honest with myself. I want the typeR.
    But Gear changing in the city can be tiring, and they're closer ratio.
    It also requires 95+ (so 98 really), so running it more expensive.
    It has potential gear2 and 3 issues.....
    BUT ITS JUST SO ****ING NICE!

Reality is though, if street performance is only minorly different, then why would i spend the extra? I wont be tracking I dont think.
    Alright just going to be honest, your wrong with everything..

12k for dc5r, is farking cheap.. its gonna be raped.. but cheap. dc5r's are going for atleast 15k in todays market.

Base dc5 vs dc5r off the lights is pretty obvious is it not....? dc5r will absolutely rape it.. I don't believe how you would think the base model would have a chance..

Engines in the base dc5 and dc5r are different, dc5r is a k20a while the base dc5 is still a k20 but a different specification.. (I drive a dc2r not a dc5r thats why I don't know exactly)

I don't understand how gear changing can be tiring unless your a shit driver or just mega lazy! (just being honest so don't flame me boyzz) its fairly simple even during traffic.. Closer ratio makes everyday driving easier btw lol.

If your worried about the cost of running 98 to 95 a type R isn't for you..

Where did you get your information saying it has possible 2nd a 3rd gear issues? and what did you mean by that?

Street performance isn't minorly different its hugely.. I don't track my dc2r yet I would of never bought a dc2 gsi, because lets be honest.. they are a piece of shit.

By the sounds of things "looking at the facts".. you haven't even test driven these cars.. so....

Go test drive a dc5 base and dc5r and see which one suits your needs more and which one is more enjoyable.. basically everyone on this forum is going to tell you to get the dc5r..

yalla byee

/ready to get flamed
    Last edited by RSKEbaby; 18-09-2011 at 02:00 AM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1988 Honda Accord
    Quote Originally Posted by RSKEbaby View Post

12k for dc5r, is farking cheap.. its gonna be raped.. but cheap. dc5r's are going for atleast 15k in todays market.
    Well they're commonly that price for 'cheap' then. Since about a month ago ive seen TypeS going about $14-16k with high K's. As of about a month ago im unemployed (contract ended) so i'm trolling the for sale sites a LOT.
    $12K is low, but not 'OMFG', as average i've seen is about $13-15k

Base dc5 vs dc5r off the lights is pretty obvious is it not....? dc5r will absolutely rape it.. I don't believe how you would think the base model would have a chance..
    I think i explained that. The engines are different, I'm aware, but the long runners give the base BETTER low down torque. 'Jumping to 60kmph from stop' could easily be a possibility, its why im asking.

Engines in the base dc5 and dc5r are different, dc5r is a k20a while the base dc5 is still a k20 but a different specification.. (I drive a dc2r not a dc5r thats why I don't know exactly)
    Im aware, its economy vtec with a <2200rpm 12 valve mode. Catch is, the ECU jumps instantly to 16valve if you floor it hard.
    While off VTEC, the base and R ave the same cam profiles (correct me if i'm wrong here?) and both are 1998cc, with 16 valves.

I don't understand how gear changing can be tiring unless your a shit driver or just mega lazy! (just being honest so don't flame me boyzz) its fairly simple even during traffic.. Closer ratio makes everyday driving easier btw lol.
    more gears, with closer ratios makes it easier? How so? You're shifting more. In stop start traffic for up to 4 hours a day, this can get tiring. Ive never owned a 6speed though; I'm honestly open to be corrected here. Please expain

Yeah, thats what i'm thinking. But the catch is I have money. The cost isnt a challenge, its just something to avoid if the 'street performance' is going to be comparable.

Where did you get your information saying it has possible 2nd a 3rd gear issues? and what did you mean by that?
    The USA and UK i believe have had recalls. 2nd gear develops a crunch when shifting at high RPM and 3rd gear has occasional disengaging problems. Clearly not on all of them, but its not 'rare' by any sense. Google for it and you'll see.

Street performance isn't minorly different its hugely..
    But.... I thought you owned a DC2, not 5? You have alot of experience in the 5's?

By the sounds of things "looking at the facts".. you haven't even test driven these cars.. so....
    This is correct. I have inspected the DC5 base, but unfortunately no one could take me for a test drive (damn dealers) so i'l be doing that monday. However I wont find a DC5r to test. none in this state for sale it seems.

basically everyone on this forum is going to tell you to get the dc5r..
    Last time i visited here (admittedly, 5+ years ago) this was a very intelligent group of people, willing to discuss things. I hope everyone isnt just going to say 'get the R, the rest are crap' without evidience.

/ready to get flamed
    Nope I dont flame. I'm always calm, you're offering ME help, and its all appeciated; but unless you have extensive DC5 experience, (in which case, i yield and appologise), the facts ON PAPER say the base would be better off the mark, with the R catching up VERY quickly, once vtec kicks in.

But paper can be deceiving. Hence this thread
    Last edited by Master_Scythe; 18-09-2011 at 02:31 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    RSKEbaby is full of shit. I'd disregard almost everything he said. Having said that, it's true that you won't get a very good example of a Type R for the price you stated.

Personally, from what you say about your driving habits, I don't see why you'd NEED more than the performance that's delivered by the base model. It's no slouch. Will you get the value out of that Type R badge to make up for the extra cost and inconvenience of owning one? In my opinion, if you don't intend to modify or track the car, you probably don't need a Type R. It will be wasted within the speed limits.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Honestly.. The dc5r is better is every way.

EP3R if you want something standard that will jump off the line quickly. Lightweight flywheel does wonders for low end throttle response.

Just a thought

Dc5r has a better gearbox than base - ratios and LSD (plus lighter flywheel?) so in all situations and speeds it will have faster acceleration. Gearing makes a car go.

Member Array
    Car:
    D15BSwappedEM1.
    Quote Originally Posted by RSKEbaby View Post

Street performance isn't minorly different its hugely.. I don't track my dc2r yet I would of never bought a dc2 gsi, because lets be honest.. they are a piece of shit.

Go test drive a dc5 base and dc5r and see which one suits your needs more and which one is more enjoyable.. basically everyone on this forum is going to tell you to get the dc5r..

yalla byee

/ready to get flamed
    oh hellllllllllll nawwww watch all the people that own the piece of shit come @ you now. the only reason why they bought those piece of shit is because they couldn't afford a type r.

im ready to get flamed too
    Originally Posted by charliebrown
    And whoever said my gsi is overpriced... you got NO idea mate. GSis go for 13k+