Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5R
    not 100% related to the thread, but if u choose the dc5 over the type R i rkn u should get luxury over normal dc5. U seem like u dont thrash ur car around every corner and every straight etc. i drive a dc5r now but i remember when i was in high school my dad owned a dc5 luxury and the car was actually very comfortable and it would def be a great car for normal everyday driving/comfort

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1988 Honda Accord
    Quote Originally Posted by Oz_Striker View Post
    I drove my type s about 620km to eastern vic over the weekend (highway driving but very hilly in places) and I only used about 3 quarters of a 50ltr tank lol thought that was awesome. That was 95 ron btw
    Impressive......

It surprises me that even with 6 gears, 6th is not as low as the Base's 5th. Really makes for a bit of a hog when not racing. Ive even watched a few professional japanese racers on youtube who comment on wanting a lower final drive, so its obviously wanted :P

Really my views are:

Base Pros:
    - Can use 91 (but will use 95, especially with a reflash)
    - Develops Torque sooner
    - Cheaper initially
    - Cheaper insurance
    - Most powerful car ive owned yet, so reguardless should impress me.
    - Switches to 12Valve on the freeway, and uses significantly less when cruising

TypeR:
    - Recaros
    - Significantly more power
    - Better body kit\lower
    - 'The badge' (yes im one of those people, sorry ><)
    - Resale value

If I got the base, i'd be lowering it, and putting a TypeR spoiler on (i love the look) so I have to keep the 'mod costs' in mind too.

Considering whichever one I choose i'll have to fly interstate for; its a shame I cant inspect the vehicles easily.

If the R was a clean example, and 12k, (ive only ever done reflashes before)
    Am I right in assuming a Kpro would allow me to tune for lower octane fuel (retard the timing a little), and save a second map for when I want speed\power at the track?

I'm not past admitting i'm still learning some shit here.

EDIT: Yep, turns out the paper didnt lie:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCHUN9WmXxo

Thats exactly what I was looking for.

Base with a kpro tune and minor mods (such as TypeS wheels, it IS a base, read through the comments), vs TypeS with minor mods, and no tune.
    basically because the $1k i save on the 'base' would buy me the kpro.

Its obvious in the video the TypeS isnt trying its hardest otherwise it would have caught up quicker IMO, but you can hear the both give it a decent push off the line.

Anyone care to argue with the video?
    I dont mean that in a smart arse way, I mean, is there something im missing here?

Thanks for everyones help, been a wonderful discussion thus far
    Last edited by Master_Scythe; 18-09-2011 at 10:29 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by RSKEbaby View Post
    What points have I made that are bullshit, please tell me? ..
    What points have you made at all?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1988 Honda Accord
    And another for those interested:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCmvmkvnVyE

Turns out those long runners and earlier torque do exactly as i thought untill 3rd gear.

EDIT: and considering its the RSX, so american delivered, it has leather and sunroof in the 'base', so its even heavier than our base too!
    Last edited by Master_Scythe; 18-09-2011 at 11:24 PM.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Master_Scythe View Post
    And another for those interested:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCmvmkvnVyE

Turns out those long runners and earlier torque do exactly as i thought untill 3rd gear.

EDIT: and considering its the RSX, so american delivered, it has leather and sunroof in the 'base', so its even heavier than our base too!
    RSX type S driver didn't launch properly. 15.2s is the time you get in an accord euro.

You don't buy a type R for just threw power. You buy it for the chassis, the lsd, lighter flywheel and much better handling. If these are not important for your usage, then just get the base or luxury DC5. There is no need to justify your choice over the type Rm
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1988 Honda Accord
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    RSX type S driver didn't launch properly. 15.2s is the time you get in an accord euro.

You don't buy a type R for just threw power. You buy it for the chassis, the lsd, lighter flywheel and much better handling. If these are not important for your usage, then just get the base or luxury DC5. There is no need to justify your choice over the type Rm
    Chassis i care about.
    LSD I dont, Road offers few corners to safely 'use' it.
    Flywheel I do.
    Handling I do.

Handling is a customisable thing anyway, so for me thats not an issue. any car can be made to handle well.

Flywheel i can switch.

Chassis is the main thing i'd like. Extra weld points and what not for rigidity, correct?

i find it amazing how some bloke has said that 12k for a DC5R isn't cheap for that many kms?
    LOL... Mines almost at 130,000km and if you think i'd sell it for less then 24k, your f*cking dreaming.

That R is going to be problems for you my friend.
    Wouldn't bother and yes i know which Type R your refering to.

I'd buy it, part it and make more on top.
    Then if you have enough, buy a clean Type R.

Just saying not hating

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Scythe View Post
    Impressive......

It surprises me that even with 6 gears, 6th is not as low as the Base's 5th. Really makes for a bit of a hog when not racing. Ive even watched a few professional japanese racers on youtube who comment on wanting a lower final drive, so its obviously wanted :P

Really my views are:

Base Pros:
    - Can use 91 (but will use 95, especially with a reflash)
    - Develops Torque sooner
    - Cheaper initially
    - Cheaper insurance
    - Most powerful car ive owned yet, so reguardless should impress me.
    - Switches to 12Valve on the freeway, and uses significantly less when cruising

TypeR:
    - Recaros
    - Significantly more power
    - Better body kit\lower
    - 'The badge' (yes im one of those people, sorry ><)
    - Resale value

If I got the base, i'd be lowering it, and putting a TypeR spoiler on (i love the look) so I have to keep the 'mod costs' in mind too.

Considering whichever one I choose i'll have to fly interstate for; its a shame I cant inspect the vehicles easily.

If the R was a clean example, and 12k, (ive only ever done reflashes before)
    Am I right in assuming a Kpro would allow me to tune for lower octane fuel (retard the timing a little), and save a second map for when I want speed\power at the track?

I'm not past admitting i'm still learning some shit here.

EDIT: Yep, turns out the paper didnt lie:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCHUN9WmXxo

Thats exactly what I was looking for.

Base with a kpro tune and minor mods (such as TypeS wheels, it IS a base, read through the comments), vs TypeS with minor mods, and no tune.
    basically because the $1k i save on the 'base' would buy me the kpro.

Its obvious in the video the TypeS isnt trying its hardest otherwise it would have caught up quicker IMO, but you can hear the both give it a decent push off the line.

Anyone care to argue with the video?
    I dont mean that in a smart arse way, I mean, is there something im missing here?

Thanks for everyones help, been a wonderful discussion thus far
    Your comments are irrelevant because your talking about reflashing the ECU on the base model but not talking about doing the same to the DC5R.

You put a Kpro in either car, neck to neck, there will be a marginal difference.
    A base model will be forever a base model at the end of the day.
    It will always be the watered down DC5R (don't bring the JDM DC5 into this as i will slap you silly )

if you buy a base model, you buy it generally with the intentions to have an A to B car 9 times outta 10. There are a few, yes a few and one is on this forum who have progressed on with base model and are making something out of it and good on him

But if you have the choice and the AMBITION to track your car, a Type R over the Base is always the better way to go because as others have said, better gear box, better mottor, LSD, Recaro's etc

Anyway enough said... won't bother.
    Last edited by WATAJK; 19-09-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1988 Honda Accord
    Quote Originally Posted by WATAJK View Post
    i find it amazing how some bloke has said that 12k for a DC5R isn't cheap for that many kms?
    LOL... Mines almost at 130,000km and if you think i'd sell it for less then 24k, your f*cking dreaming.
    All i said is its low, but not OMFG. Ive seen 3 or 4 go for under $14k recently, it is cheap. But not 'therer has to be something wrong with it' cheap IMO, i saw a NICE one go for 13.9k a month ago on carsguide.
    But anyway.

Your comments are irrelevant because your talking about reflashing the ECU on the base model but not talking about doing the same to the DC5R.
    Its because the base model would leave money to play, base + kpro is still cheaper than the DC5R; if I got the R, the money isnt spare to KPRO it.

You're right im not comparing mod for mod, but I am comparing cost for cost.

I just got back from test driving the base anyway.
    As i thought, most powerful car to date that ive driven, and bone stock (and a terrible example too, thrashed to hell). But even so I fell in love.

DC5 (or R, we'll see) for the certain win!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5S
    Quote Originally Posted by r3ckless View Post
    Perdonally i dtive the type s 4 days a week and during the week i drive my auto camry.. 3.0L 3SGT-E or some shit like that... It has more mid range torque.. So much easier to drice fr accerlaatiob.
    I agree with r3ckless. driving something with more low end torque day to day is much easier than driving something like a DC5 (not hating on the car). in stop and go traffic it seems to be much easier. but i guess it's personal preference. it would be a luxury to have two cars for different purposes.
    Honda - The Power of Dreams

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1988 Honda Accord
    Quote Originally Posted by kt_xD View Post
    I agree with r3ckless. driving something with more low end torque day to day is much easier than driving something like a DC5 (not hating on the car). in stop and go traffic it seems to be much easier. but i guess it's personal preference. it would be a luxury to have two cars for different purposes.
    Personally I think thats hondas genious at work again.

Dual length runners? wider cam timing?

These have no advantages other than low end torque. And it works. I drove today in really nasty traffic and it leapt off the mark every time!

While I agree with the general idea that the TypeR is in most ways better, I'm not the only one who has commented on it feeling 'weak' untill vtec.

They were smart enough to design the cars Low and High focused respectively.

I love honda. lol.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Indie View Post
    What points have you made at all?
    Lol dont try and troll me because I stated that the dc2/dc4 gsi is a heap of shit, I didn't mean offense but you are obviously taking it..

Pretty sure most of that comment I wrote was answering the questions that he had, may not of been 100% but atleast helping him out..

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by RSKEbaby View Post
    Lol dont try and troll me because I stated that the dc2/dc4 gsi is a heap of shit, I didn't mean offense but you are obviously taking it..

Pretty sure most of that comment I wrote was answering the questions that he had, may not of been 100% but atleast helping him out..
    I couldn't care less about your comments about the GSi. Everything you said, including that comment, was basically bullshit.