Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz 03Vti

Honda Jazz Vti 2003 how many spark plugs, brand?

hi guys,

my good old 2003 Jazz is now on 121000 kms, giving some jerky feeling every now and then.

i'm thinking to replace its spark plugs. being owner for last 60000 kms can't remember when they were replaced.

from NGK website recommended spark plugs is "IZFR6K13" plug gap 1.3.

with a quick google seems like it needs 8 spark plugs

to be honest i never heard 8 spark plugs in such a small car before in my life.

can someone please let me know how many spark plugs will go in my Jazz 2003 Vti

and which brand and part number is best. i reckon eBay (USA) will most likely be place to buy them.

Since you have a VTi, you have the L15A engine (SOHC VTEC), which uses 4 spark plugs. The L13A (iDSI) in the GLi uses 8 spark plugs.

The correct spark plug for your Jazz is NGK IZFR6K13, or Denso SKJ20DR-M13. They are iridium spark plugs, which are relatively expensive. The change interval specified in in the owner's manual 100000km and 200000km. You may have missed the change at 100000km, which could explain the jerkiness.

Although the spark plugs may need to be changed, I have a feeling that the cause of the jerkiness is actually due to the coil packs. This is (most likely) a 'common' problem with the Jazz, as many owners have discovered a 'stutter' or 'hesitation' under light acceleration. There is a long thread on FitFreak about a constant speed stutter that describes the problem, and the solution of replacing the coil packs. The coil packs are quite expensive (imo) at over $200 each (may be less at trade price). A faulty coil pack may lead to an occasional engine misfire in the respective cylinder, causing the jerky feeling. An engine misfire should be detected by the ecu, and an OBDII scanner should retrieve an engine misfire code (P0301 - cylinder 1 misfire detected; P0302 - cylinder 2 misfire detected; P0303; cylinder 3 misfire detected, etc.). The misfire MAY be due to a faulty coil pack. Coil packs can be tested with a special machine, but I'm unsure of the exact details.

Another possible cause of the jerkiness may be due to a faulty EGR valve. This is also regarded a 'common problem' on forums.
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...02-VTI-Jerking

I would suggest checking the spark plugs first, as they probably need to be changed and may be the cause of the problem.
    Last edited by l.ho; 16-10-2011 at 01:25 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 x2
    If you are experiencing the jerking... Is it when you are just coasting ? If so it's the egr valve. I work at a dealer in Adelaide as a mechanic and we get this problem at least once a week with jazz's.
    hondadynamiks - ADELAIDE

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 x2
    Is your engine light on? Misfire codes only come up with the engine light.. When there is a problem with the egr valves code only comes on when there is an electrical fault. If the engine light is not on there is a mechanical fault in the egr valve which will cause this juddering jerky feeling when coast and light acceleration. We do egr valves roughly once a week on a jazz and coil packs about once every 2 years.
    Good luck.
    hondadynamiks - ADELAIDE