Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Dc2r/EG
    Yonas, ill come around monday morning

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 Integra R
    We use PMU from Racer Industries just brilliant.
    EBC are rubbish in my humble opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    Dc2r/EG
    im getting Green Stuff... Thanks Yonas!

Member Array
    Car:
    EGSi,DC2R,ED9
    I wont use EBC green for anything more than autokhanas type of event dude.

At the track dont be surprised they turn into goo after a few hard laps.

Had a set of EBC yellows ( which is much more track orientated than the greens, and to a lesser extent the reds ) on 262mm setup on my eg when I started to track it a few years back and even that wilted badly after only 3 hard laps so they were marginal. I later upgraded to 282mm brakes not so much for the braking power but for the longevity of the pads and rotors due to more surface area.

Pics above taken after the track day I had, as you can see as it got hot the pad material started to crumble and filled up the slots and very high wear on rotor surface. Rotors only got up to 450C or so, way below the max temp rating of EBC's 700C. Pad material became very brittle after that also.

Yonas sells EBC yellows and Ferodo DS2500 pads right? If they can be sourced in time they would be much more suitable for your track assault than the EBC greens.

There are others performance pads that you could source from brake shops that doesnt break the bank, such as the Ferodo Formula ( old name TS2000 ) which isnt that far off DS2500 performance and lot cheaper as it's made in thailand and marketed as a road pad instead of Ferodo racing pad. I had the TS2000 in my eg with 282mm brakes setup initially and was suprised how good they were at the track despite the temp ratings being only up to 500C instead of the DS2500's 650-700C. The ds2500 did have more feel esp at light braking apps and from cold however; but price wise the ts2000 was only just over $100 when I bought mine, compared to $250+ for the ds2500 at the time.
    Last edited by EG30; 26-09-2011 at 09:05 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG y0
    I rate Endless MX72
    FFamily

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by EG30 View Post
    I wont use EBC green for anything more than autokhanas type of event dude.

At the track dont be surprised they turn into goo after a few hard laps.

Had a set of EBC yellows ( which is much more track orientated than the greens, and to a lesser extent the reds ) on 262mm setup on my eg when I started to track it a few years back and even that wilted badly after only 3 hard laps so they were marginal. I later upgraded to 282mm brakes not so much for the braking power but for the longevity of the pads and rotors due to more surface area.

Pics above taken after the track day I had, as you can see as it got hot the pad material started to crumble and filled up the slots and very high wear on rotor surface. Rotors only got up to 450C or so, way below the max temp rating of EBC's 700C. Pad material became very brittle after that also.

Yonas sells EBC yellows and Ferodo DS2500 pads right? If they can be sourced in time they would be much more suitable for your track assault than the EBC greens.

There are others performance pads that you could source from brake shops that doesnt break the bank, such as the Ferodo Formula ( old name TS2000 ) which isnt that far off DS2500 performance and lot cheaper as it's made in thailand and marketed as a road pad instead of Ferodo racing pad. I had the TS2000 in my eg with 282mm brakes setup initially and was suprised how good they were at the track despite the temp ratings being only up to 500C instead of the DS2500's 650-700C. The ds2500 did have more feel esp at light braking apps and from cold however; but price wise the ts2000 was only just over $100 when I bought mine, compared to $250+ for the ds2500 at the time.
    the above pics don't look good at all.

Is it possible you got a dud set of pads?

did you follow both the pad and rotor bedding-in procedures?

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    No he's not alone.

I've read elsewhere about the same issue with the leading edges of the slots filling.
    Apparently its due to the resin in the pad material

Member Array
    Car:
    EGSi,DC2R,ED9
    Pads were bedded in properly and been great on the street no noise, very gentle to rotors and no issues at less demanding events such as hillclimbs and autokhanas. So for some apps they could still be plenty good, and they dont dust much at all on the street unlike the ebc greens and reds, and being a EE friction pad gives better pedal feel than say the ebc greens which is a softer more "compressible' FF friction pad.

Once higher temps are reached at the track ie 400C+ they really degrade and oxidise and started to scour the rotors bad.

Others with similar cars at my local track have similar findings as well even with larger rotors than what I had ie the pad material gets brittle and actually falls apart as well as high pad wear rate, and extreme wear and grooves forming on rotors making it very $$$ per lap despite the lower purchase price compared to say Ferodo ds2500, Pagid, Endless etc that have done much more thorough R&D than EBC with their superior resources.

When I bought mine in 2008 they were quite cheap, but they since became more famous and greedy and upped their prices a lot across the board and the value simply isnt there anymore.

As Fraser commented they are rubbish, and I dont disagree.
    Last edited by EG30; 27-09-2011 at 02:44 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 Integra R
    Thanks EG30 for backing up my comment without having to go on and on . I've been racing cars for a long time and with that comes lots of trial and error experiences with many things and brake pads is certainly one.I've progressed through the lot and am quite happy to pass on my knowledge.Spend the money on quality stuff and get the best value in the long run and listen to others in most cases they have done the hard yards.Brake pads use PMU.

Which Brake Pad to use

Thread revival.....

I inspected my pads today after a day at Winton recently where I noticed a heap of pad/rotor material on my front wheels which was unusual compared to previous track days i've done. The pads have started to disintegrate and are very crumbly, I noticed the build up on the wheels after my second session which was a bit longer than I usually do, maybe 10 laps or so.

I measured the temps on returning to the pits with an IR thermometer and hottest parts of the front rotor measured was 374deg C. That was probably only 1/2 cooldown lap by the time i reached the turn off to the pits. The rears measured only about 110 degC. The brakes still felt pretty decent, I still have ABS noticed it came on a bit towards the end of the session, I felt the tyres going off a bit by then too.

This brake setup has been used for 4 track days and very minimal street driving, never seen the build up on the wheels before this time.

Car details are:
    DC2 approx 1120kg
    DC2R 280 mm brake upgrade
    RDA slotted rotors
    Ebc yellow stuff front/Rear
    No ducting
    Still had factory dust shields in place.

So, looking for a new set of pads. Think I will stay away from EBC this time seeing as though there are a few reports on various forums of similar things. I can't see the photos posted by eg30 describing EBC's poor durability but I assume they are similar to mine.

Maybe pad recommendations have changed since this thread started so....

Please recommend some pads based on EXPERIENCE not hersay, thinking of either:

Ferodo DS2500 or 3000
    Pmu HC800 or RC09

Also if anyone wants to share pics of ducting setups and temps they have measured they have tried that would be good too!
    Last edited by rc_; 26-04-2015 at 04:14 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    I have ferodo only thing bad I can say so far is the only the dust. Either than that best pads i've owned so far.

Quote Originally Posted by amant02 View Post
    I have ferodo only thing bad I can say so far is the only the dust. Either than that best pads i've owned so far.
    Cheers.

Is that street use or track?

Ds2500 seem to generally get good reviews, not sure whether I need to go up to the next spec though. It still gets driven to the track so would prefer staying with a semi street able pad if I can get away with it.

Ds2500 are similar price to the pmu hc800 which I also read decent reviews on. Not sure which pmu pads the guys on this thread were using though there are many versions.