Engine hesitation on hard acceleration at 4000 rpm with auto box

Hi everyone, it's nice to come across lots of TSX/Euro Accord owners in one place Here in China, we've got the Honda Spirior which is a left-hand drive Accord Euro CU2. It comes with a lower 10.5:1 compression K24Z5 engine with 180hp (probably because of the junk petrol here) and a paddle-shift 5-speed auto transmission.

For all the Euro owners with the auto transmission, do you get engine hesitation near 4000 rpm when accelerating at full throttle in 3rd gear? On mine, revs climb to 3800 rpm, then drop a bit to 3500 rpm before increasing again. I've had this happen consistently, with the shifter in either D or S modes and the throttle pinned to the floor.

I read somewhere that it's the torque converter lockup that's causing the RPM drop. The VTEC cam switchover doesn't happen until much higher so I'm inclined to think it's an issue with the transmission.

It could also be dirty petrol that's causing the engine to retard timing, just as the engine nears the max torque point. Will try some RON93 fuel from another station to see if that fixes it.

Coming from an Alfa with a turbo 1.4, the K24 on a big heavy car feels a bit gutless 1st gear on the 5AT is too short and the other gears too long (for more mpg apparently), you really need to bury the throttle to go anywhere fast in this car.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by redseven View Post
    Hi everyone, it's nice to come across lots of TSX/Euro Accord owners in one place Here in China, we've got the Honda Spirior which is a left-hand drive Accord Euro CU2. It comes with a lower 10.5:1 compression K24Z5 engine with 180hp (probably because of the junk petrol here) and a paddle-shift 5-speed auto transmission.

For all the Euro owners with the auto transmission, do you get engine hesitation near 4000 rpm when accelerating at full throttle in 3rd gear? On mine, revs climb to 3800 rpm, then drop a bit to 3500 rpm before increasing again. I've had this happen consistently, with the shifter in either D or S modes and the throttle pinned to the floor.

I read somewhere that it's the torque converter lockup that's causing the RPM drop. The VTEC cam switchover doesn't happen until much higher so I'm inclined to think it's an issue with the transmission.
    Reviving this, im getting this now at the lower rev range.

It's transmission slip, caused by clutch being worn, and then added by the Honda "special" Auto tranny fluid which has friction modifier to actually Make the tranny slip... lovely.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Bump

How come the min there is 93RON, is it tuned to lower octane fuel?
    Last edited by I CU2; 12-10-2011 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by I CU2 View Post

How come the min there is 93RON, is it tuned to lower octane fuel?
    Yeah, guess so, that's probably why the K24Z5 here is rated for a bit over 180hp compared to the 200hp on the CU2 elsewhere. Compression ratio is also lower at 10.5:1 vs. 11:1. Crap gas I haven't run it on 97RON yet, hope it gives a bigger kick.

I haven't driven an auto box in ages so I'm not sure what transmission slip would feel like. Is it anything like the clutch slipping on a manual car?

The car is brand new and there's no problem when revving the nuts off the thing in first or second gear... it just screams to the redline. It's just in third and at full throttle that the RPM drop happens. I read on a US TSX forum about the same thing happening and some Honda tech guy said it was the torque converter locking up. I'd love to find out from other CU2 owners if they experience the same thing though.