Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC2

Vti-R and Type R DC2 starter motors different??

hey guys.

just installed my type R gearbox and the starter motor from my vti-r just won't go back in for some reason.

it goes in most of the way but won't sit flush with the surface on the transmission. sits out about 1/2 a centimeter and just wont go in.

all I can think of is maybe there's a difference between either vti-r starters and type R ones, or a difference between the starters for OBD1 and OBD2.

mine's 95' and OBD1.

any input would be much appreciated.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Try rotating the engine via a socket + extension + bar a touch , or try rotate the starter engage cog itself or jiggle the starter alittle as you install It
    The alignment of this and the flywheel might be catching and if they dont mesh the starter wont slide in !

PS remember to not hook up ground + power just yet lol !

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    haha yeah the battery is disconnected.

hmm I tried turning the motor manually and it didn't seem to have effect. also tried moving the starters connecting gear. but would I be right in saying that when it's not turning over the starters gear is retracted so it shouldn't mesh anyway?
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Just checking :0)
    Do you have some sort of ORC style clutch with a larger pressure plate ?
    Did u compare the old starter side by side with the new one ?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    I haven't got a new starter, just trying to put the old one back in. no gnarly ORC clutch, just an exedy stage 1.
    -ZAMMIN-

- Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Ill say one more thing - the casing ( outer) should be exactly the same between the vtir and itr.
    Something else is catching?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    hmm yeah I thought so.

nah it's not catching on anything outside the gearbox. I was trying for ages tonight and couldn't get it in. it really seems like the hole in the gearbox is like 1/2 a millimeter too small or less. I even took the baseplate (with the shaft still in it) off the rest of the starter to see if the baseplate would mate and it still wouldn't go in. I can probably get a pic or video if it helps??
    -ZAMMIN-

- Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

upload it - also pm "TODA AU" as he has done this a million times before and might know the reason or come across the same situation !

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    yeah I did the other day but no response yet.

alright I'll take a video/pic of it tomorrow and upload. thanks
    -ZAMMIN-

- Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

I hate things like this, so annoying......

makes me not work on cars for months, turns me off.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    bludger, that is exactly how I feel right now haha. having RTA bush install issues too. *sigh*
    -ZAMMIN-

- Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by Super-DA9 View Post
    yeah I did the other day but no response yet.

alright I'll take a video/pic of it tomorrow and upload. thanks
    Sorry for the slow reply, I've been crook.
    Anyway, I haven't really had starter fitting issues to be honest.
    as Ben said, VtiR & ITR mount face / flange to box is the same. (The motor & relay are different, but the parts are interchangeable)
    So yes, pics or vid would be helpful..

Also check it's not something silly like VVS loom/plug in the way
    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
    TODA Racing - FIGHTEX - MFactory - HALTECH - EXEDY
    Race engines, Dyno tuning, Licenced workshop, Parts.
    P:0401869524 email: toda@todaracing.com.au