Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Civic ED6

Can i put Duel carby onto a D15 vtec.

So the D15vtec is EFI, would i be able to put my D15b4 duel carby onto it and then keep my whole wiring harness and not worry about re wiring the car and using my current wiring? Would i need a new ECU?

So basically the choke in my D15B4 has died and it isnt replacable. Ive talked to a mechanic friend and he said i can replace engine. Rig up a manual choke system for it. (anyone know of anyone who has rigged one up?) or take of the duel carby and replace it with a single carby from wreckers or something (forgot why this will work).

Ive found a D15Bvtec on ebay that will sell for probably around $100-150. Although it doesnt have ECu or wiring harness and its EFI. Although i think its got everything else like starter motor and so on.

So im assuming its the same family both D15. So yer like i asked before can i just stick the duel carby on it and remove the EFI, and use my current wiring harness and ECU?

Thanks. Nic
    Last edited by 90civicGL; 15-10-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    yes you can. theres a massive thread that covers this topic already.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Civic ED6
    Thank you been having a good read, Ive read that you need a new timing belt and adjustable cam if you swap over a D16y6 head onto a D15b4. Since i would be using the complete D15Bvtec engine block and head i assume i dont need these since they will already be matched to each other. In one thread i was reading someone said dont get the D15Bvtec head only use a D16 head on a D15 to do the carby vtec, Is this guy correct, Im guessing his not cause i dont see how the D15 head and D16 head can be that different in this case.

So I would need the

D15Bvtec engine (which i have sourced and can get)
    Facet Posi Flo Fuel pump (http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...pc#Description)
    Buddyclub V-con (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130533290...ht_5081wt_1163)
    Then my current Wiring harness? And dont need an ECU because the system gets by without it right?

If someone could confirm tis or help me out a bit more would be much appreciated.

And i assume by swapping the engine it would fix my current choke problem.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    also just so you are aware, if it's the motor I think it is, it's a vtec-e motor from an EG VEi.

this variant only made 66kW, in comparison to the stock ED motor which makes 72kw. So you would actually be going backwards in terms of performance

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Civic ED6
    Quote Originally Posted by markismaximus View Post
    also just so you are aware, if it's the motor I think it is, it's a vtec-e motor from an EG VEi.

this variant only made 66kW, in comparison to the stock ED motor which makes 72kw. So you would actually be going backwards in terms of performance
    Yer that it, the one on ebay. If i could find a D15b4 for a decent price i would just get it, but havnt seen any pop up on the forums, single carb one at brisbane motor imports is $650, duel carb on ebay $890. If the one on ebay goes for 100-150ish, then i shoul be able to make the swap for $300. i just dont wanna end up with it and then find i cant do anything with it. My main priority atm is to just get the car with a reliable engine enough to pass roadworthy, want to try my hardest to keep the swap not needing a whole new wiring loom, and to keep the costs reasonable. Since ive already got a whole new airfilter wouldnt hurt keeping it duel carby but thats only minor.

Cause im getting close to the engine part of my project, shocks and bushing are all almost done, just one trip to the wreckers and a few days away.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    have you posted a WTB up? many people don't bother putting them up because there is little demand for them.

When I took mine out I struggled to get rid of the bloody thing, and when I did only got $50

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Civic ED6
    I did a few months back but ill stick another one up now.

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Civic ED6
    This might be a really nooby question but i am learning about all this stuff slowly. but where is the choke located and why is it a supposedly an un replaceable part? Is it part of the head? Or part of the carburator set up or something else. Hopefully not part of the carb set up if this swap ends up being the best option.

Also mark you seem very mechanical, so if you dont mind me asking. Do you think it would be possible to rig up some kind of system to turn the auto choke into a manual choke. Cause i believe it is the choke that is causing the engine to run rich. Cause thats what my dads mechanic friend thinks it is and apparantly its a fairly common problem on the D15b4, On the web they say the choke can cause idling issues, like it wanting to stall while idling and low revs and so on, and thats what ive got with a lot of black smoke.

EDIT: Also with that engine im guessing it is the D15z1 making 92 HP not the D15B or D15b 3 stage making 130hp, doesnt actually say in the add. And what does he mean by doesn't use oil, dont all engines need oil?
    Last edited by 90civicGL; 15-10-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    unfortunately I don't know much about the carby choke on these motors. It might be worth pm'ing ECU MAN as from his other posts he seems to be very knowledgeable about how the system works as a whole.

If the motor on ebay is AUDM then yes, it will be the 92 HP version (I think it is, because if you look at the intake manifold its tiny). If it's a JDM motor then it will be the 130hp. But seems unlikely given he has it listed for so cheap.

In regards to not using oil, he means it doesn't burn oil.

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Civic ED6
    ok thanks, ill send him a PM. It would be cool having vtec, even if it isn't a true vtec system like in the b series. Guess i got 3-4 days to figure it all out.

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Civic ED6
    So just to clear this up, all the mini me swaps ive seen use a D16y8 or D16z6 head on whatever block their cars have, Do you guys think that the carbed setup would work with with a D15z1 block and head? And its basically just unbolting the EFI intake manifold and replacing it with the duel carby manifold and adding the vtec switch and electric fuel pump?

Also the D15z1 engine will go in with stock engine mounts and so on? And use the D15b4 wiring loom?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to clear things up and make sure my understanding of it all is correct.