Newcomer Array
    Car:
    92 Civic SI, sedan

Smile DIY Spray Bonnet & Roof.

Hello,

Awhile ago I had an acciedent with my 92 Civic . The front of the car isn't in too bad of shape since I've straightened it out. My car is originally blue but the front bumper is all peeling and I had to get a new pre paint black bonnet.

I'm looking for some advice on how I can do a DIY spray, without a gun that would look almost professional. I'm thinking of re-spraying but keeping my bonnet black and also matching the front bumper colour and maybe do my roof while I'm at it.

What sort of paint & primer would I have to be using?
    Can I get a colour match for my blue metallic car?
    What type of sand papper should I use?
    How do I get it shiny?
    How much paint would I require?
    Price Range? :S

Is there anything else that I've missed out on that you guys could help me with?

Thanks alot OZhonda

sandpaper your going to need wet and dry 400, 800 and 1200 if your pannels have no imperfections but since you have peeling paint buy some dry sandpaper in the 180, 240 range. most of your efforts are in preperations make sure all the cracks are gone or else they WILL show when you paint over it.

your car's paint has a code from the factory. you can find this code on the passenger side door well given that you have a honda.

shine is all in clear coat, you need it regaurdless because your paint is metalic and it is needed to match the colour.

price range except around 100 just for painting (not including whatever tool/method you plan on painting with)

how much paint? nothing over 500mL, i dont know the seller can help you with that.

i dont know what you mean by without a gun, as in no guns in general or just no air guns? your pretty much limiting yourself to rattle cans or one of these things which arnt ideal for big panels.also unless there is like a rubber piece used to outline your roof panel i dont suggest you spray the roof because it will look like crap and will show in the end result

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Thread moved

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    The roof has water channels so it should be OK to do your roof aswell.

I've previously done my EG's roof and it blended nicely as there was water channels between the sides seperating the roof.
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Hatch
    If you head to an auto paint store, they should be able to make you a pressure pack (spray can) using your paint code.

Since you've got an EG, your car would likely have acrylic rather than 2pac, make sure you get acrylic because the two different paint types dont want to adhere well.
    Primer depends on how far you're sanding, combined spray putty & primer should be fine if you've still got paint left after sanding/scuffing, if you're down to bare metal grab an etch primer, and seperate spray putty if necessary.

Minimum one can of metallic and clear for each panel, a spare would be handy to have.

As for getting it shiny, once your paint has cured, grab some 2000 grit sandpaper, and soapy water. You want to sand away most of the orange peel (the textured reflection). Dont sand it too much, you'll go through the clear, just enough so that the majority of the panel is sanded down with a dull reflection.

Afterwards, you'll need a cutting compound safe for clear coats, and either a rotary buffer, or some sick wax on, wax off skills with a foam mit or terry towel. The panel should be glossy, with only light swirls left, then you'd do the same but with a polish meant to remove swirls and holograms.

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Quote Originally Posted by RAD View Post
    If you head to an auto paint store, they should be able to make you a pressure pack (spray can) using your paint code.

Since you've got an EG, your car would likely have acrylic rather than 2pac, make sure you get acrylic because the two different paint types dont want to adhere well.
    Primer depends on how far you're sanding, combined spray putty & primer should be fine if you've still got paint left after sanding/scuffing, if you're down to bare metal grab an etch primer, and seperate spray putty if necessary.

Minimum one can of metallic and clear for each panel, a spare would be handy to have.

As for getting it shiny, once your paint has cured, grab some 2000 grit sandpaper, and soapy water. You want to sand away most of the orange peel (the textured reflection). Dont sand it too much, you'll go through the clear, just enough so that the majority of the panel is sanded down with a dull reflection.

Afterwards, you'll need a cutting compound safe for clear coats, and either a rotary buffer, or some sick wax on, wax off skills with a foam mit or terry towel. The panel should be glossy, with only light swirls left, then you'd do the same but with a polish meant to remove swirls and holograms.
    Only a few such as Milano Red EG's came out with acrylic.

He has a blue one which isn't acrylic. You can still get 2pac colours converted to acyrlic aswell.

Regarding the pressure pack, you can get them from autbarn aswell. I did my old EG roof, I think I deleted the thread though.
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend