Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    ej8

Conversion advice

well i currently own a 97 civic ej8 coupe and my engine is kinda givving me the shits as it keeps leaking oil and just doesnt feel the same no more . but aside that is still one pree good engine for 1.6 litre , serve me well !
    feeling like a fresh engine and somehting with grunt and power so my vtec can go bwahahhahah!
    now the problem is i dont know whether to do a engine swap , either k20 or k24 .
    whats the pros and cons of the k24 compared to the k20 because im thinking of going the cheaper way. and is it possible for me to change the gearbox to a r in the k24. sorry again if im talking craP or whatever , im not really in depth with this stuff.

but yeah lemme know whats what, cheers guys ,thanks for the support.

Just get a vti-r engine. What will suit u and cost u less.

Member Array
    Car:
    Del Sol
    cheaper easier way will be a B18CR or C7
    built it up when the engine is still on the ground for less trouble

Member Array
    Car:
    Canon 5d
    don't think rta lets.
    you cannot change over the engine if your on your p's, only the same engine you have in it, can't put in older ones either.
    you can put b18s in because it falls under the nsw engine modification rule - 15% engine increase displacement. blue slip> receipt of the new engine then register

Vehicles – You must not drive any vehicle with:
    Eight or more cylinders (except Diesel).
    A turbocharged or supercharged engine (diesel powered engines exempt).
    Modifications that increase engine performance.
    Any other vehicle identified by the RTA – further details available on the RTA website.

this was on recently, http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ek-engine-swap
    same concept as your car, ej8s coupe of an ek
    Last edited by simmy; 30-10-2011 at 06:51 PM.
    you're probably asleep right now but I love you and you're the most beautiful girl I met, inside and out. have a good nights sleep and I hope this puts a smile on your face when you wake up.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    ej8
    yeah the b18c2 was initially my plan but then my dad was like he has a mate down at the wreckers with a k24 for 2k plus its his mat.
    really? but ive seen and heard so many people get engine swaps and stuff , hmm thats trippy bro .
    does it still apply if the car is registered not in my name , because ive got a friend who is on his p's and has a b18c jdm engine in his civic and another one with a b18c7 in his eg so idk.. i guess i gotta research abit more.
    i wanna get everything sorted and organised so i can change it , but hsc is abit of a biatch atm so we'll see guys
    cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    Canon 5d
    its illegal, you get 7 points pretty much instant loss of licence, there are cops that know their shit, some don't i woulnt risk it though.
    b18 is ok in a civic because its 1.6l > 1.8l conversion, which still fits under the rules.
    1.6 > 2.4 is over the 15% increase

2k for a k24? with all the gear to get in running in an ej? cos i know k24 blocks are only 1k at jdmyard and its another minimum 9k to get it in and running.
    you're probably asleep right now but I love you and you're the most beautiful girl I met, inside and out. have a good nights sleep and I hope this puts a smile on your face when you wake up.

Member Array
    Car:
    b18c2+T Ej8
    Quote Originally Posted by simmy View Post
    its illegal, you get 7 points pretty much instant loss of licence, there are cops that know their shit, some don't i woulnt risk it though.
    b18 is ok in a civic because its 1.6l > 1.8l conversion, which still fits under the rules.
    1.6 > 2.4 is over the 15% increase

2k for a k24? with all the gear to get in running in an ej? cos i know k24 blocks are only 1k at jdmyard and its another minimum 9k to get it in and running.
    how on earth it will cost 9k to get it running.
    If you still on P plate, get b16a2 or b16b.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    ej8
    yeah i read that just then , farr 7 points shieattt!. dead set im just gna get a b series. i heard for a c7 wud be like 5k roughly . is it worth it ?
    i know if you change to b18c7 im gna need to change a few stuff like brakes etc..
    or shud i just go to b16?

b18c jdm spec sounds pretty good , but i wanna stay in the b18 series
    im not saying im a pro driver but , from what i driven ( b16 the jap spec one ) and jdm b18c )
    there is a massive difference
    money is everything i get it , and my budget is at the mark of 6-7k
    Last edited by sunnaye; 30-10-2011 at 07:47 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Canon 5d
    Quote Originally Posted by hmetro24 View Post
    lol he's only a youngen, labour costs too mate.

try pm vtec1987, hes in the area and has a b20vtec swap with b18c2 head
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...Organic-clutch
    its for eg/dc but im sure you can work sometihng to get it in an ek with extra costs - loom etc

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by hmetro24 View Post
    easy, cause u will need custom drive shafts, custom mounts, or off the shelf mounts which aint exactly cheap, than custom headers, ecu to run it, ecu wiring an more, so it all adds up nicely.

Just cause the k24 is cheap doesnt meant it b cheap to fit it an run it
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    b18c2+T Ej8
    Yeah yeah, i forgot the labor, i thought he is doing it byhimslef. That's also include welding and engine certificates...

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S15
    I know labour for k swap in a non k series car such as an eg or ek is like 5K. You can run it with a K24 gearbox but the dc5 box has better ratios and an LSD. K24's are very cheap now 2k is a rip.

You need
    engine mounts
    engine
    gearbox
    shift linkages etc
    ecu
    wiring loom
    exhaust to fit
    tune
    driveshafts
    handful of other stuff, I own a dc5 and wouldnt know specifics.
    expect tuning to be around the 500 mark

In addition you need a engineers certiicate to get that he may make you upgrade your brakes etc cause you have so much extra power.
    And dont forget about tires. Almost everyone does. They are what gets all your power down to the road and what keeps you alive you brake. The first thing I bought for my car was new GOOD tires.

My personal opinion I'd go with the k24, you get more bang for buck. Just make sure you grab a k20 VTC.
    Yes the k20 revs harder, up to 8000rpm. K24 revs up to 7600rpm with a good tune and you have power throughout the whole band not just from 6000.
    Plus it is alot more fun to drive. K24 and K20 are very similar and most parts are interchangeable. K24 sits approx 12mm higher than a k20.
    Last edited by DakDak; 30-10-2011 at 09:59 PM.