Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Odyssey MY11 Luxury - Play DVD While Driving

Hi all,

The DVD unit that comes with Odyssey MY11 Luxury can only be played when the car is parked. I know it is for safety reason, but I really want it for my kid.

Has anyone had success in hacking their unit to play dvd while driving? Or do you know anyone/shop/garage who can hack the unit? I heard about "do not connect the wires between the unit and parking brake" - but not really clear step by step instructions on how to do it. Suggestions?

Btw, do you know if we'll get fine by cops if caught playing dvd by driving? How much?

Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by fandibong View Post
    Hi all,

The DVD unit that comes with Odyssey MY11 Luxury can only be played when the car is parked. I know it is for safety reason, but I really want it for my kid.

Has anyone had success in hacking their unit to play dvd while driving? Or do you know anyone/shop/garage who can hack the unit? I heard about "do not connect the wires between the unit and parking brake" - but not really clear step by step instructions on how to do it. Suggestions?

Btw, do you know if we'll get fine by cops if caught playing dvd by driving? How much?

Thanks
    Can you get a dvd screen/player for the centre console area? Or behind the front seats?

We got one for our Nissan Patrol from Ebay for less than $300, cheaper than hacking a $5,000.00 dvd/gps system from Nissan/Honda.
    無限 The Form is in the Function 無限
    teamGROUNDzero

its to do with the hand brake wire connecting to the headunit. I think you have to run some switch in there to make the unit believe the handbrake is up..
    something like that, not too sure but thats what ive heard..

Member Array
    Car:
    EG8
    its the same switch that controls the handbrake light on the dash. just chop that wire going to headunit and no more problems
    Why don't you tell your daddy to comb his damn hair, look like some spiders is having a meetin' on his head.

Member Array
    Car:
    Ohthatsit
    The thing is its an OEM headunit, have fun finding the wire....
    GD3 -> EP3 -> RB3

FS Rays nuts etc

Member Array
    Car:
    06 TC'd RB1
    Hi all,

Thanks
    I'm not familiar with the unit that comes with the RB3, but it seems a bit wierd that once the foot brake is off that the unit can't play a DVD? I thought its just that the HU switches to a blank screen, but you would be still able to control and play the DVD. That's how my Clarion unit works anyway.

From a personal point I wouldn't have the HU showing the DVD, I had a few near misses because I was distracted even though I know not to take my eyes off the road, hence even though I have a bypass switch, I very rarely use it.

Is the HU hooked up to another screen at the rear?
    Last edited by evolution; 06-11-2011 at 12:16 PM.
    Old man that drives slow cars

Polar Bear Array
    Car:
    09 RB1 Lux
    There should be a way to disable that function. Just look at some audio forum and see if they have found some solution. In Lexus you just need to press few different buttons in sequence in order to enable some limitation.
    Team Agentz

Options Motorsports

My Accord Euro: [ENDUT]

My Odyssey: [BRUANG]

MY GARAGE SALE

Quote Originally Posted by Atjo View Post
    There should be a way to disable that function. Just look at some audio forum and see if they have found some solution. In Lexus you just need to press few different buttons in sequence in order to enable some limitation.
    OMG, this would be perfect solution for me... please please somone tell me its doable

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    I'm not familiar with the unit that comes with the RB3, but it seems a bit wierd that once the foot brake is off that the unit can't play a DVD? I thought its just that the HU switches to a blank screen, but you would be still able to control and play the DVD. That's how my Clarion unit works anyway.

From a personal point I wouldn't have the HU showing the DVD, I had a few near misses because I was distracted even though I know not to take my eyes off the road, hence even though I have a bypass switch, I very rarely use it.
    I
    Is the HU hooked up to another screen at the rear?
    No, there's only 1 screen which is in the dasboard shared with GPS. How is your bypass switch look? Just a button in the unit?

Member Array
    Car:
    Ohthatsit
    how the aftermarket units usually work is to have a wire for handbrake so the DVD will only work when the handbrake is engaged.

to bypass that most people will just ground that wire so it will fool the unit to think that the handbrake is always on. some people run a switch in between to control "when" the handbrake is on/off.

yours being a factory OEM unit might be different as Honda might use a more complicated method BUT since it's not a fully integrated unit, there might just be a chance it's similar to an aftermarket unit. i guess if you are not familiar with this, best is to visit an audio shop. ask them to have a look if it's just a wire and get them to solder a switch in.
    GD3 -> EP3 -> RB3

FS Rays nuts etc

Member Array
    Car:
    06 TC'd RB1
    No, there's only 1 screen which is in the dasboard shared with GPS. How is your bypass switch look? Just a button in the unit?
    Its a switch on the dash, like what Phillip described.

So when you park brake is off, does it just not show the movie, but you still can control and hear it or does the unit not allow you to see, hear and control the unit totally.

If it is the former, just hook up another monitor to the HU at the rear.. better viewing for the rear passengers anyway

If it is the later, then I would say it is a pretty crap unit and the bypass switch might be the only way, but you should still consider getting a rear screen. doesn't need to be flash or too big.
    Old man that drives slow cars

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    Its a switch on the dash, like what Phillip described.

So when you park brake is off, does it just not show the movie, but you still can control and hear it or does the unit not allow you to see, hear and control the unit totally.

If it is the former, just hook up another monitor to the HU at the rear.. better viewing for the rear passengers anyway

If it is the later, then I would say it is a pretty crap unit and the bypass switch might be the only way, but you should still consider getting a rear screen. doesn't need to be flash or too big.
    It's the former, ie the screen does not show movie - but can still hear the sound and control it. So do you think I can just purchase another monitor? Where should I install it? in the rooftop?