Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[EG] How to clean Sunroof rails/tracks

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: The aim of this DIY article is to clean out all the gunk building up on your sunroof rails. By keeping the rails clean you can prevent further problems down the track.

Required:

-Silicone Spray
    -Degreaser
    -Size 5 Allen key bit
    -Ratchet, extension and socket to fit Allen key bit
    -Rags

*Optional
    -Window spray
    -Vacuum Cleaner
    -Old toothbrush

Steps:

1. First step is to pull the sunshade back and tilt the sunroof. Straight away you'll notice how dirty and grubby it is.

2. Now we're going to remove the Sunroof glass so we can clean as much of the rail as possible. Go inside the car remove 3 Allen head screws on each side of the glass bracket. Now remove the glass by lifting up and store some where safe.

*Note: You can try cleaning the rails without removing the glass but you won't even be able to clean half of it.

3. You should now have full access to the rails to start cleaning. Grab your rag and degreaser and make it spotless. I spent around 30 mins just cleaning.

*Tips: Vacuum first if you see any loose debris. Use an old toothbrush to scrub. Open and close the sunroof so you can access all the nooks and crannies.

4. It's time to lube it up with Silicone Spray. Spray along the guide rails and then open/close the sunroof a couple of times to get the brackets coated.

5. Time to refit the glass. But before I did that I took this opportunity to clean both sides of the glass whilst it was off the car. Just grab window cleaner and clean, self explanatory.

Before you re-position the glass make sure the glass brackets are in the tilt position. Arrange the glass onto the brackets and fasten the allen screws. You'll notice there is room for adjustment with the allen screws so what you should do first is hand tighten them down and then close the sunroof to position it correctly. Once you're happy with it tighten the screws down and you're done!

Other comments:
    This DIY was performed on an EG5 Civic with an OEM Sunroof. The steps above may or may not apply to other Hondas so use at your own risk.

Member Array
    Car:
    D15B7 YOOOOOO!
    very nice writeup , will do this to my eg once other mods are out of the way, big difference, + rep point for you brah!
    Check out my build thread EGB16T. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...build../page14
    Check out my for sale thread constantly updated with b series/ eg parts!

Wakefield Honda Nationals First Timer : na-118 EG b16 1:16.4900

Member Array
    Car:
    eg5
    Awesome!! + rep to you. As for silicone spray, what did u use? Will wd-40 suffice?

Member Array
    Car:
    GD3/ED6
    i like you, rep for you.

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by duzy View Post
    Awesome!! + rep to you. As for silicone spray, what did u use? Will wd-40 suffice?
    Not too sure about WD40, check the can to see if its okay to use on tracks/rails first. I was recommended Silicone Spray because it was safe on rubber incase you got any on the seals. There's plenty of Silicone sprays around, you can get them from almost anywhere. I picked up mine from Repco.

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    WD40 will do the same thing.

+ rep
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

Fantastic job!
    Rep for you mate, love seeing the before and after shot! Huge difference!

Member Array
    Car:
    D15B7 YOOOOOO!
    try minimising the sprays that will cause debris sticking to the solvent
    Check out my build thread EGB16T. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...build../page14
    Check out my for sale thread constantly updated with b series/ eg parts!

Wakefield Honda Nationals First Timer : na-118 EG b16 1:16.4900

Yep that's a valid point. Don't overdo it when lubing up the rails otherwise it will attract more unwanted dirt. Just spray on a fine coat and maintain it every 6 months.

Did you find it hard to loosen the Allen nuts?

Nah it wasn't hard at all. But I don't recommend using L-shaped Allen keys.

Get yourself a set of Hex bits and use it with a ratchet. This will greatly reduce the risk of rounding the bolt heads.

Hex bits with socket:

Yeah I was using the L shaped ones, nice gotta get a set
    Cheers