Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Land Barge

Ohlins DFV Suspension.

Hello y'all. Thought I'd do a write up on these lovely coilovers.
    I've had them for nearly 2 months now. Done a fair bit of street/hill driving and 1 track session @ Lakeside with them. I think I have a pretty good impression of what they are like now.

First off, I have the DC2R model in my car.
    Spring Rate F:14kg/mm R: 6kg/mm
    30 or 32 step damper adjustable (20 too many clicks IMO)

Tired of cheap/poor designed shocks, mismatched springs, over the top compression/extension. I really wanted something I could live with while still being some what competitive at the track. So after having a set of Ohlins shocks in my GTR, I decided to get a coilover set for the Civic.

I was initially put off by the big difference in spring rate and this does show BUT they were designed with a 24mm Rear Sway Bar in mind. I at the moment run none for my own reasons. So please take into consideration my lack of RSB when I describe the Ohlins.
    DFV stands for Dual Flow Valve and can be read about here http://www.roadandtrackbyohlins.com/en/the-technology/

Street: Dampers are set to 50%-70% for road use.
    The first thing I notice was how COMFORTABLE they are! OMG shit was amazing, it was like driving on firm OEM setup. Like that of a GTi. And yes they are on the soft side when it comes to compression. But it's so controlled that I don't think it hinders the driving experience or speed. Mountain roads can be rather rough, will plenty of bad patches, holes and loose debris. The Ohlins had no trouble tackling any of this. It was well poised.
    Road noise is minimal too, even with the car half stripped and sound deading removed. Running RSR tyres, it's quiet civil.

Track: Once again, I must say. This unit is rather SOFT! I've confirmed that with other users. So I was a little worried hitting the track with them. But to my surprise, once you turn them up past 85% damper. They run great! My last session I had them on 3 clicks from the stiffest setting and they ran very well! Considering I have no rear sway.
    I found they settle into a corner quiet quick and smooth. Allowing for very early throttle. This also makes it very easy and comfortable to drive at pace. The car is never on edge, it's a very timid feeling. Nothing like what I'm use to in drift/track cars.
    Some may prefer this, some may hate it. It took me a while to get use to. It's not as lively as I had hoped, like you could fly off the corner if you made a small mistake.
    Lost of traction is fairly predictable and over-steer is simply dialed out with a bit of throttle and hope your LSD works.
    The rear really does "squat" into corners. I hope a RSB is going to liven things up.

So to sum it up, AMAZING shocks! So well controlled. The 14kg/mm springs certainly do not feel like 14kg. Could go with a stiffer spring in the rear.
    They don't have that "crashing" affect you get with lesser units.
    All Alloy body makes it lighter!
    Make sure to set the damper on a high setting when driving aggressively, otherwise they are too soft.
    I would recommend them for people who would do more street driving than track. Probably 80% street 20% track.
    So in saying that, I guess I bought the wrong coilovers.

Please remember when choosing coilovers/spring rates that you match them to the tyre you are going to run. Heavy springs with bad tyres will give you no traction. And soft springs with a semi with give you body roll. -_-.

I feel this unit is capable of satisfying a wide spectrum of tyres.

p.s SUPER COMFORTABLE.
    Econo Box pimping ain't easy.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Thanks alot for the review!
    really keen on getting some of these.

any idea on their weight possibly? all 4.

ps. all out of juice for today, will rape you with my 2" tomorrow. good review.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    Land Barge
    a fair bit lighter than OEM, that's for sure!

Mind if i jump in on this either know i have a DC5R?
    I have this exact suspension apart my springs are different to yours.
    Front: 8kg
    Rear: 10kg

The cars are different but i find this suspension to be great aswell, haven't had track experience like you have on them but i drive mine on full stiff (not an everyday car) and as you've said it's comfortable but very stiff. I don't find them to be that soft though i must say but maybe that's because i haven't had as much experience with cars as you have possibly??

To be honest, the price they are brand new, i believe you'd have less headaches with the coilover compared to others, the design is flawless.
    I can't fault them. I'll give a report on what i think of mine on track after Sunday hopefully but i would recommend these coilovers if you can either grab a good set second hand or have the coin for brand new.
    Would maybe say to think about spring rates before purchasing though as it's easier to customize them when you purchase and will be cheaper then having to do it after!

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    great read

yes, I reckon RSB will liven things up. Ive got ASR, now all u need is the bar, brackets and links
    くまくま━━━━━━ヽ( ・(ェ)・ )ノ━━━━━━ !!

Okay, took my DC5 to Winton on sunday.
    Quick review, these coilovers on full dampened settings in the rear end (not sure how they would go if you had no bracing) combined with my Rear Strut Bar, Upper bar, C-Pillar bar, front sway bar and front strut.
    These are incredible, if you can find a reasonably priced used set, i encourage you purchase as i said earlier. Was beautiful on track, had only -1 Camber Front and -2 Camber in rear.
    They not incredibly rough on track through bumps but through the corners, i don't know how to explain it but when i turned the wheel, the DC5 went wherever i put it, didn't fail on me once. Never was a custom to coilovers before purchasing Ohlins DFV for the DC5 but now i would recommend them to everybody i know, the quality is typical JDM but the history backing them up shows there quality.

If i was going for a full track spec car, i wouldn't be opting for the springs rates of 8kg front and 10kg rear for the price of new, make sure you customize them or i would suggest Tein Super Racing instead.
    Overall, money well spent on these coilovers, very good on track but that's my opinion. Only thing that let me down was my tires. If your going to ask for a time i set, don't bother, was a fun day off

Member Array
    Car:
    Land Barge
    It's nice to see people with this unit agree with me. Hehe.

Comparatively they are soft for their stated spring rates. Or maybe we're just use to shit coilovers.

Might not be the best buy for a track orientated car.
    Bloody awesome for a weekend warrior.

I feel I should mention the Aus spec Tein coilovers have excellent valving too. Almost Comparative to the DFV's.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    Quote Originally Posted by nigs View Post
    Comparatively they are soft for their stated spring rates. Or maybe we're just use to shit coilovers.
    I think most people are
    くまくま━━━━━━ヽ( ・(ェ)・ )ノ━━━━━━ !!

Quote Originally Posted by nigs View Post
    It's nice to see people with this unit agree with me. Hehe.

Might not be the best buy for a track orientated car.
    Bloody awesome for a weekend warrior.

I feel I should mention the Aus spec Tein coilovers have excellent valving too. Almost Comparative to the DFV's.
    If i bought mine brand new, would of changed the spring rates but these for weekend and every now and again track racing are bloody perfect.
    Good $$ well spent.

Member Array
    Car:
    Land Barge
    You can measure the springs ID and length.
    Have a look here http://www.nengun.com/swift-springs/

Then choose whichever spring rate you wish.
    I'd probably stick with Eibach springs personally.

Forgot the mention, OHLINS DFV ARE FITTED WITH EIBACH SPRINGS.
    lol whoops.

didn't know lots of Ohlins DFV squad here until spot this thread. mine without "click" setting. i'll say comfort on streets and supportive on tracks.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    nigs, how do you adjust height on this one?
    looks like you can lower it from shock body? or lower it by lowering spring perch?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre