Thread: B20 in EK

Member Array
    Car:
    BB AP1

B20 in EK

Im sure this has been covered but i cant seem to find enough information to get where i want. being a uni student sucks with low paying part time job and i finally came up with an idea that might make the most of money for now. I was thinking of picking up a b20z + b16a gearbox and drop in my ek as it is and enjoy the extra 22kw and extra torque til i save enough money and then work with whatever B series Vtec head i find. Question is it worth to work on it after its in or is it impossible to swap the head while engine in the car and im better off finding a b16a or b18?
    Any replies will be appreciated
    cheers

man save your self the hassle, as far as i know from what ive heard about b20's there very hard driving for a daily

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    very hard daily driving?????

i know people who have had them for years in their Tegs, EGs and EKs and they have no problem at all
    Car: 05' Civic Turbo Car: EK 97'
    Motor - D17 Motor - B20T
    Winton - 1:47 Winton - 1:46
    7th Gen Melbourne #1

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R, EG, EP3
    Usually when you remove the head the engine is still in the car but as for you gettin a b16, b18 or b20.... really up to you. BTW b20 arent bad dailys, pretty good from what I've experience. Good luck with your build.

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahSCOTTT View Post
    man save your self the hassle, as far as i know from what ive heard about b20's there very hard driving for a daily
    How on earth do you come to that conclusion? As the OP said, enjoy the extra torque and power with potential gains from modifying in the future.

Only downside would be slightly higher fuel consumption
    DA9 LS w/JDM SiR B18C turbo
    Looking for older Honda project car pre-1985

I must be talking to the wrong people then

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    lol at yeahSCOTT- what you talking about they are very hard driving?. Me no understand your englick.

B20B8 in a an EK would be a great swap mate, with the B16a Gearbox it will be quite quick.. If i had a daily i would go for it 100%, will be probably on par with a B18C2 swap with the extra torque helping quite a lot.
    here is what you need to consider though,
    -ECU
    running the engine you can run it on a GSi B18B2 ecu but it wont be running to full perfomance capacity,
    so i suggest buying one of these ecu's with the vtec disabled so you wont get a CEL .
    I got one of these for my B20VTEC swap and the tune they had on it was pretty good. You tell them your engine specs and they set a tune
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HONDA-CIV...item2ea9b8cae6.
    - Wiring Harness and Socketing
    For an EK you will need the EK4 harness and the OBD2 to OBD1 convertor plugs, leave the vtec plugs disconnected until you do the head swap.
    -Intake Manifold and dizzy
    For the B20B8 you can use the top mounted intake but id suggest sourcing out a GSi one as it flows a bit better and has better clearance, you
    will need the OBD1 93-95 dizzy from the GSi aswell.
    -Future VTEC swap
    If your planning on wacking on a VTEC head, it is highly recommended to upgrade the rod bolts on the bottom end if you want to safely rev over 7000rpm.
    If running anything larger than ITR camshafts it is a must to either flycut into the piston valve reliefs or upgrade the pistons.
    While the motor is out you should take the time to setup an breather system and remove the allen plugs on the back of the motor and fit the bungs.
    Here is my write up for them.
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...B20VTEC-LSVTEC.

Good luck

Member Array
    Car:
    BB AP1
    Quote Originally Posted by GSi_PSi View Post
    lol at yeahSCOTT- what you talking about they are very hard driving?. Me no understand your englick.

B20B8 in a an EK would be a great swap mate, with the B16a Gearbox it will be quite quick.. If i had a daily i would go for it 100%, will be probably on par with a B18C2 swap with the extra torque helping quite a lot.
    here is what you need to consider though,
    -ECU
    running the engine you can run it on a GSi B18B2 ecu but it wont be running to full perfomance capacity,
    so i suggest buying one of these ecu's with the vtec disabled so you wont get a CEL .
    I got one of these for my B20VTEC swap and the tune they had on it was pretty good. You tell them your engine specs and they set a tune
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HONDA-CIV...item2ea9b8cae6.
    - Wiring Harness and Socketing
    For an EK you will need the EK4 harness and the OBD2 to OBD1 convertor plugs, leave the vtec plugs disconnected until you do the head swap.
    -Intake Manifold and dizzy
    For the B20B8 you can use the top mounted intake but id suggest sourcing out a GSi one as it flows a bit better and has better clearance, you
    will need the OBD1 93-95 dizzy from the GSi aswell.
    -Future VTEC swap
    If your planning on wacking on a VTEC head, it is highly recommended to upgrade the rod bolts on the bottom end if you want to safely rev over 7000rpm.
    If running anything larger than ITR camshafts it is a must to either flycut into the piston valve reliefs or upgrade the pistons.
    While the motor is out you should take the time to setup an breather system and remove the allen plugs on the back of the motor and fit the bungs.
    Here is my write up for them.
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...B20VTEC-LSVTEC.

Good luck
    Thanks for the help.
    really appreciate it.
    Soo i don't need folk out heaps again to whack the vtec head on by taking the engine out?. That better than what i thought i would need to do. Would it be better for me to strengthen rod bolt and sleeve the block before dropping it into my ek? and how much does b20b8 go around sydney? i found them around 800bucks

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    800 bucks is a rip off mate.. i have one that needs refreshing if you want for cheap, if not i can get you a good conditon one way cheaper than 800.. pm me

hi... i have a b20bvtec on my EK, and for 3 years this is my daily driven car.... no problem at all, just make sure your tuner knows the conversion from head/to block...and dont forget the vtec oil lines ..

b16a head+ b20block= torque monster on open roads, just dont push your car to redline if you did not upgrade the block.... goodluck!

Member Array
    Car:
    k20 dc2
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahSCOTTT View Post
    lol, dumbarse.

anyways GOOD b20z go for 500 i sold mine not to long ago, very clean engine under 70,000, keep looking ull find one.