Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Type-R

S2000 Differential Oil Options

Hey everyone, I have another question to all those S2K experts out there

Just an old habit of mine after buying a new second-hand car I have just about every oil, fluid and lube changed for my peace of mind and so i'm having all my oils and fluids changed in my S2000 next week.

So far I'm going with the following on my 2000 model AP1 with 150,000k;

Castrol Edge 5w30 Engine Oil (my local dealer has run out of Genuine Honda FEO Ultra)
    Mugen Oil Filter
    Genuine Honda MTF6 Trans Oil
    Genuine Honda Type2 Coolant
    Genuine Honda Brake/Clutch Fluid
    NGK PFR7G-11S Spark Plugs

After doing a fair amount of searching I'm still finding dead ends when it comes to what diff oil would be suitable for the S2000 as I want it changed out with everything else.

I read that in some cases that Honda's own Hypoid gear oil is more suitable for the CRV over the S2000 due to the LSD or something along that nature? Either way apparently only bad things can occur with using this oil as sold by Honda dealerships?

On a few other S2000 dedicated forums I read that people have had success with using a Mobile 1 type of diff oil which I can't seem to find Mobile 1 of Australia distributing anywhere (at least not in my small town)

I do have access to Redline oils at a local Bursons and was thinking of getting some 75w90 (not the shockproof just whatever their 75w90 is) - apparently some say that a LSD friction modifier from Redline is also necessary whilst on Redline's site they say their 75w90 does have some modifier in it already and additional modifier is only needed in certain applications.

I heard people have used Royal Purple's grade of diff oil in the S2000 with success as well but I do not have access to any Royal Purple stuff locally but buying online isn't an issue.

Basically, what would be the most suitable OEM replacement for the S2000 diff? I was just surprised that Honda Australia don't stock anything really suitable at all.

Open to all ideas and suggestions

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by beaugus View Post
    On a few other S2000 dedicated forums I read that people have had success with using a Mobile 1 type of diff oil which I can't seem to find Mobile 1 of Australia distributing anywhere (at least not in my small town)
    I just purchased some off a guy who imports it and sells through eBay. Check it out there

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 s2000
    Honda dealers sell an S2000 appropriate SAE90 GL5 diff oil for the Torsen diff that's different to the CRV oil. That's what I used last change.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Type-R
    Quote Originally Posted by euromandeluxe View Post
    Honda dealers sell an S2000 appropriate SAE90 GL5 diff oil for the Torsen diff that's different to the CRV oil. That's what I used last change.
    You wouldn't happen to have the part number from the bottle by any chance? Would help me immensely when speaking with my dealer next.

And aozora, have you had a chance to use the Mobil 1 diff oil as yet? And if so what are your opinions about it? any major or noticeable difference or benefit?

Quote Originally Posted by jooboo View Post
    im using Castrol saf-xa, so far so good
    +1! I think I suggested this a few threads back. It's great for 4.77FD and keeping the whine to a minimum.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DA9
    U get what you pay for.

Check your pm, ive sent u a link.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Type-R
    Thanks for your feedback guys Thankfully there are some great quality OEM alternatives out there to choose from. I don't think any harm can come from using Redline's stuff by the sounds of it so I'll probably end up grabbing a bottle or two of their S2000 recommended oil and flushing out the junk that I suspect is in my diff now.

One other question that I forgot to ask initially was what intervals should I look at changing the gearbox / diff oils out at? My S2000 will more than likely see less than 5000km a year of driving so I'm not sure if its one of those things where I should just be doing it by time or distance. Budget isn't a factor when it comes to maintenance but due to the age of the car I'm sort of leaning towards just servicing it on a 6 month basis regardless. Should I factor in gear / diff oils in this equation or are they good for 10-20 thousand km?

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by beaugus View Post
    apparently some say that a LSD friction modifier from Redline is also necessary
    Nope.

The S2000 doesn't have an 'LSD' per se. It has a Torque Sharing differential. LSDs need special oil because they have plates within them that need friction to lock up once the limited amount of slip has happened. Our diff requires a GL5 compliant oil.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    s2000
    If your pumpkin is stock then use oem

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Not necessarily good advice. Plenty have asked for 'OEM' and got CRV diff oil.

By all means buy from Honda, but make sure it is GL5.