Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R,EK,BB6,CT9A,SSZ

Manual Gearbox Clunking when putting gear in and changing gears,stand still + driving

Hi guys,

My 5th gen is making a clunking noise when im in neutral and putting it in gear and when driving it clunkes each time i change gear.

What can this be ?

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R, EG & EP3R
    Mount, input shaft bearing? Does it affect performance? Does it happen only when your in neutral or clutched in? Are your gears crunching?
    BARPPP

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R,EK,BB6,CT9A,SSZ
    yea crunches sometimes
    not sure about performance
    when its in neutral and i push the clutch in then put it to first it makes that clunk noise
    and when im rolling changing gears it clunks

Something loose/worn in the shifter linkage/mechanism ? Needs to be seen/heard first hand.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R,EK,BB6,CT9A,SSZ
    well ive taken the motor and gearbox out and put it back in after respraying engine bay
    might be the mounts ?
    not sure but the gearknob moves alot in idle aswell alot of vibration and shuddering in hard take offs.
    hard gear changes it sounds lik a metal thumping/clunking noise each time i change gear when spirited driving

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R, EG & EP3R
    Check your mounts before attempting anything
    BARPPP

When you removed the inner CV's from the G/box, what method did you use to get them out ?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R,EK,BB6,CT9A,SSZ
    we took the motor and gearbox out all in one peice
    took the front cross member + tail shaft and took it all down one go
    on a two post hoist
    didnt take the gearbox apart from the motor at all

What I'm referring to is the axles on either side of the G/box (not sure what you mean by the tailshaft unless you mean the steering shaft for the 4WS or the exhaust pipe). The reason I'm asking about the axles (usually referred to as the CV shafts) is because if they are pulled out of the G/box instead of being "popped" out with a lever between the G/box and inner CV, it's quite likely 1 or even 2 of the 3 rollers that comprise this joint have been pulled out of the grooves they run in and fallen into the rubber boot that surrounds it. This can even happen when the CV has been correctly released but the splined stub has been tied up out of the way, allowing the joint to assume a very sharp angle with the rubber boot stretched.

Your symptoms you describe could be because the joint (or both joints), without one or more of these rollers in place, is rocking back and forth causing the noises etc.

You need to get all of the things that have been mentioned here and by other members checked out as a matter of urgency, if you go doing "spirited driving" while it's making strange clunking and vibration etc, somethings going to break in an expensive way.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R,EK,BB6,CT9A,SSZ
    thanks guys ! i appreciate the feedback !!!
    i have alot to go off now ~ will let you know once i get the chance to go through everything and willl post up results

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude ATTS