Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    03 DC5

Springs vs Coilovers

I'm running a stock DC5 and want to drop it a couple of CM, probably an inch exactly. I figured I could just buy some Kings Springs and have them installed, would save a hell of a lot of $$ (this will go towards an exhaust or CAI setup). I use my car as a daily and absolutely no track use.

So what would be the difference besides price - and how exact can I be about vehicle height? Thanks!

BC Coilovers: $1150
    King Springs: ~$300

Go springs... i can't stand coilovers. Springs was uncomfortably bouncy, but coilovers frickin hurt. 2nd hand king springs $100 win
    KEEP IT VIET | KEEP IT JDM
    FaLL iN LoVe WheN YoU aRe ReAdY, NoT WhEN YoU ARe LOnEly

Member Array
    Car:
    03 DC5
    Thanks for the reply! Good to know, would much rather go the cheaper route so I have more $$ for engine mods. Can you be pretty specific about how low you want your car? As in if I take them in to be installed and specify the height I want can they arrange them to that height? Main goal is to be just above the wheel by an inch or so, haven't properly measured yet.

Member Array
    Car:
    jdm b16a civic
    Just depends on the springs you get man..
    If its just for street and on budget I'd get springs coils is abit of a wank illness you wanna track it or adjust the settings every now and again

Member Array
    Car:
    03 DC5
    Kings Springs are the best you can get for daily use isn't it? Just going by some research I've done, seem to be a very popular option.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by IDV8 View Post
    Kings Springs are the best you can get for daily use isn't it? Just going by some research I've done, seem to be a very popular option.
    Makita Lows are the most popular ones and they can be used on all cars.

natsrs

2nd hand kings probably good for you.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S15
    IDV8 also be wary that if you pair aftermarket springs on stock shocks you kill them. How fast depends on how much the drop. Other than that I think shock+springs are good for your application. I've been through about 3 sets of coilovers on my dc5. TBH I regret all of them wish I just got a shock and spring combo. No need for coilovers unless you track ALOT. like every month or something. And in regards to the adjustability dont get sucked in. Once you get the desired height your going to keep it that way, not constantly change it.
    PROS
    Get that drop desired
    No compromise on dd comfort
    Cheap
    Cheap to overhaul e.g revalve a shock

Cons
    Wont be adequate if its a dedicated track car

Reverse it for coilovers ...

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by DakDak View Post
    IDV8 also be wary that if you pair aftermarket springs on stock shocks you kill them. How fast depends on how much the drop. Other than that I think shock+springs are good for your application. I've been through about 3 sets of coilovers on my dc5. TBH I regret all of them wish I just got a shock and spring combo. No need for coilovers unless you track ALOT. like every month or something. And in regards to the adjustability dont get sucked in. Once you get the desired height your going to keep it that way, not constantly change it.
    PROS
    Get that drop desired
    No compromise on dd comfort
    Cheap
    Cheap to overhaul e.g revalve a shock

Cons
    Wont be adequate if its a dedicated track car

Reverse it for coilovers ...
    burgers are burgers but cant compare maccas cheeseburger with grilld mighty melbourne.
    just because its 'coilovers' doesnt mean its not good for DD
    plus coilover is just what you call shocks inside springs.
    stock shocks and springs are also 'coilovers'.

nigs got good review.
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...DFV-Suspension.

i think cons for aftermarket coilovers would primarily be cost.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    you guys should have bought lancers.

coilovers all the way

brb adjust to any height you want
    brb adjust from soft to hard damper, choose the right coilovers and you can have the ride only slightly firmer then stock on softest settings
    brb you can just part them out when you sell the car
    brb would rather have coilovers with no engine mods over ghetto ass king spring and 1kw gaining intake

if you drive your car even slighty enthusiasticly around twisties, go with coilovers.

imo anyway.

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    LOL..

if your going to get King Springs.... they are not the best hard spring compound.

I suggest to get KMAC springs, then match this with a GAB/KYB shocks (next level up from OEM spec).

still cheaper than coilovers for sure.
    B to BFrank to K .... ive had it ......

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    Don't go Kmac springs, they are crappola i assure you - crap core material and very old basic design that usually leads to either coil binding or untrapped coils at extended length

My honest opinion about coilovers is that they are too hard for a daily driver with a strong chassis - DC5 will be quite firm on crappy Australian roads. Plus, unless you put very good tyres on your car you are wasting the potential handling improvements a coilover kit can give you.

Your budget and your driving priorities are the main deciding factors here.

If you still can't deicide, find someone with the same car and a set of coilovers (a kit that fits in your budget range) and go for a drive on roads that you drive daily, that will tell you whether or not you will like coilovers.

Kings are a good option for someone that simply wants to lower their car for looks and a small increase in handling stability.

If you decide later on that you want better handling again, sacrifice your ride comfort and go with a decent set of coilovers, or invest in a set of Koni's that will give you excellent handling and still retain quite a bit of ride comfort

Member Array
    Car:
    03 DC5
    Quote Originally Posted by senna View Post
    Kings are a good option for someone that simply wants to lower their car for looks and a small increase in handling stability.
    Exactly what I'm after, don't ever plan to take this out on the track at all to be honest.