Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Full Respray

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Etch primer would be fine to spray over.

Wouldn't hurt to give it a once over with normal primer though.
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

Account Disabled Array
    Quote Originally Posted by grifty View Post
    Any pics of your work bud?
    x2222

Member Array
    Car:
    BCNR33
    Quote Originally Posted by tiksie View Post
    Suggesting that people use 2PAK at home is your first mistake.
    Please elaborate?
    Daily: '06 Honda Civic Vti | Weekend: '97 Nissan Skyline GTR BCNR33

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    because its illegal to, and looks shit without being baked in a booth.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    BCNR33
    FYI I have personally contacted the EPA NSW on 3 occasions about spraying 2pack urethane at home. they advised me they do not regulate residental areas unless your running a business I.E painting on a daily basis. that i have to contact my local council to see if painting is allowed. So I called up my local Council, they told me painting is fine however if any of the neighbours complain then you must stop.

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/epa/
    Last edited by 6-SpeedManual; 19-04-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Quote Originally Posted by 6-SpeedManual View Post
    FYI I have personally contacted the EPA NSW on 3 occasions about spraying 2pack urethane at home. they advised me they do not regulate residental areas unless your running a business I.E painting on a daily basis. that i have to contact my local council to see if painting is allowed. So I called up my local Council, they told me painting is fine however if any of the neighbours complain then you must stop.
    I'm not too sure if it still applies now, but 2pak paints and hardeners are usually sold to tradesmen only with ABN's and what not.

Spraying 2pak in an uncontrolled environment (read, uncontrolled temps) is pointless in the first place. How do you plan on baking it ?

Most DIY'ers at home should stick to Acrylic either way as it's easy to fix mistakes with.

If you want to paint 2pak, hire a booth and oven and do it properly.

I have contacted EPA aswell I guess I got someone else on the phone as 2pak urethane has pigments which **** you up silly.. So spraying it in an uncontrolled environment with overspray possibly seeping into your neighbours house and causing damage to their lungs will be in your hands to deal with.

Good luck.

Member Array
    Car:
    BCNR33
    I'm not too sure if it still applies now, but 2pak paints and hardeners are usually sold to tradesmen only with ABN's and what not.

Spraying 2pak in an uncontrolled environment (read, uncontrolled temps) is pointless in the first place. How do you plan on baking it ?

Most DIY'ers at home should stick to Acrylic either way as it's easy to fix mistakes with.

If you want to paint 2pak, hire a booth and oven and do it properly.

I have contacted EPA aswell I guess I got someone else on the phone as 2pak urethane has pigments which **** you up silly.. So spraying it in an uncontrolled environment with overspray possibly seeping into your neighbours house and causing damage to their lungs will be in your hands to deal with.

Good luck.

My family friend is spray painter of 11 years. he's painted dozens of cars at home without a booth or oven and has got professional results. Again painting errors can be rectified in the base coat by 2000 grit sanding. clear coat errors can be wet sanded by a sanding block when paints fully cures followed by cut and polish.

If you read my first post. i said NOT to paint near neighbours or family members. For eg, If your little sister is in the backyard playing, would you start spray painting? i wouldn't think so regardless whether it's acrylic or 2pack paint is all toxic either way.

At the end of the day it comes down to common sense and proper judgement before spray painting. If you have access to a booth or proper saftey equipment then by all means use it. I'm only merely giving an alternative point of view.

I guess each to their own. Ta,
    Last edited by 6-SpeedManual; 19-04-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Each to their own indeed.

But please; Don't compare acrylic to urethane as being 'all toxic either way'. Urethane is toxic in it's own class and I've experienced the effects of it first hand.

I would rather stick to advice from my teacher who taught for 55+ years than some guy on a forum. No offence by this either. I think it's clear cut.

If I was to do this again using urethane:

I would be dying from itching myself to death from the urethane on my skin.

Member Array
    Car:
    BCNR33
    Each to their own indeed.

But please; Don't compare acrylic to urethane as being 'all toxic either way'. Urethane is toxic in it's own class and I've experienced the effects of it first hand.

I would rather stick to advice from my teacher who taught for 55+ years than some guy on a forum. No offence by this either. I think it's clear cut.

If I was to do this again using urethane:

I would be dying from itching myself to death from the urethane on my skin.

No offense taken whatsoever. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion

If i were to spray urethane i wouldn't be wearing a t-shirt, shorts and a half mask in a enclosed area lol